Failed Payment

Greetings, all.

Just some info on what to do when your payment for an e-Visa is rejected.

After applying for my new e-Visa, my payment was rejected and apparently it is rather common. However, there was very little information as to what to do next. Eventually, I did find a link at the bottom of the application "search" page on the Visa site for my application status. This link lets you attempt to pay again.

However, I also saw some "fine" print that said if your payment failed you must resubmit the application before attempting another payment. Apparently, this is new.

So, at the end of the day, I resubmitted my application, and then had someone from outside the country make my payment for me. So far so good. Both the application and payment were accepted and the application is in "process".

Hopefully, I'll have good news in a few days.

Cheers,

Roger

Greetings, all.
Just some info on what to do when your payment for an e-Visa is rejected.

After applying for my new e-Visa, my payment was rejected and apparently it is rather common. However, there was very little information as to what to do next. Eventually, I did find a link at the bottom of the application "search" page on the Visa site for my application status. This link lets you attempt to pay again.

However, I also saw some "fine" print that said if your payment failed you must resubmit the application before attempting another payment. Apparently, this is new.

So, at the end of the day, I resubmitted my application, and then had someone from outside the country make my payment for me. So far so good. Both the application and payment were accepted and the application is in "process".

Hopefully, I'll have good news in a few days.

Cheers,

Roger
-@RTLisSB

Hi Roger. Are you using a credit card from a CDN institution?

I ask because my friend visiting from Canada had the same trouble as you are reporting. His bank (TD VISA) had instituted some sort of security/verification system which is not accessible outside of Canada and the US.

Glad to hear you found a work-around (as did he).

@Aidan in HCMC

Yes, it is a Cdn card, but the strange thing is I've been using it in VN for two weeks without issue.

Roger

@RTLisSB

It seems to be some sort of "Security Membership", where TD VISA (all CDN Credit Card Visas?), Vietcombank, and others, have signed on to.

When he tried to pay, the page just hung there. He then tried another browser, and upon completion (again) of the application for the VN eVisa and then being prompted to pay, he was then able to click something like an "Additional Information" button which opened a pop-up explaining the security protocol, and that it was available in Canada and U.S. only.

How are you loving VN so far? Besides the red tape.

@Aidan in HCMC

Mine immediately went to another page that said, "payment data could not be verified". Regardless, in the future I will pay from "outside" the country.

As VN, I am liking it. The heat is a bit much as is the pollution, but I'm adjusting. People are great and I love the cost of living.

That said, next year I may try Da Lat.

Cheers,

Roger

@RTLisSB

Hi - there is also the unfortunate situation where your application fails due to 'unpaid application' - but the money has been taken from your account !!

It appears Vietcombank are now running the e-visa system and in many cases the system is malfunctioning. So always check what monies are being deducted from your bank account.

If this happens to you it seems there is nothing you can do.

@RTLisSB
Hi - there is also the unfortunate situation where your application fails due to 'unpaid application' - but the money has been taken from your account !!
It appears Vietcombank are now running the e-visa system and in many cases the system is malfunctioning. So always check what monies are being deducted from your bank account.
-@edwardmcgowan

Vietcombank should refund the money if you paid for something and didnt receive it.

Vietcombank should refund the money if you paid for something and didnt receive it.
-@colinoscapee

Off topic to eVisa payments, but I've been waiting 3 weeks now for Sacombank to refund the 3 million deducted from my account.

The ATM I used on Oct 27 issued a receipt stating "UNABLE TO DISPENSE FUNDS". I advised my Canadian bank who have opened an investigation, stating it could take up to 55 days to complete.

Nice, and thank you, Sac Om Bank!

@RTLisSB
-@edwardmcgowan

Hi edwardmcgowan, and welcome to expat.com!

Unfortunately, what you and many others have experienced is not uncommon in Vietnam (see my post above).

Two days prior to my Sacombank ATM experience, the same thing happened at Agribank (Oct 25, 3 million). Agribank, however, deposited the money back into my account just 3 days later (Oct 28).

Protocol states that you must contact your bank (in Scotland?) and advise them of the date/time/amount debited (Pound Sterling?) from your account. Vietcombank, should you attempt to correspond directly with them, will simply refer you back to your bank.

Please let us know how this plays out for you. We would very much appreciate hearing back from you.

Again, welcome to expat.com.

Quick update,

After the initial payment fail and the resubmission, I've gotten my new visa.

Cheers,

Roger

I'm a bit confused on if my payment went through. When I submitted the payment the next page said: "Orders are being processed for payment. Please complete the payment in that turn or come back to create a new order!" Not really sure what that means but it doesn't sound like a payment confirmation. My credit card said it didn't block anything and there's a pending charge. I haven't received any sort of emails on whether payment was successful or failed.

My application status says "In Processing." If it says "In Processing" does that mean the payment was successful? I see other people saying that their application actually indicates the status as "Not Paid"

I'm a bit confused on if my payment went through. When I submitted the payment the next page said: "Orders are being processed for payment. Please complete the payment in that turn or come back to create a new order!" Not really sure what that means but it doesn't sound like a payment confirmation. My credit card said it didn't block anything and there's a pending charge. I haven't received any sort of emails on whether payment was successful or failed.
My application status says "In Processing." If it says "In Processing" does that mean the payment was successful? I see other people saying that their application actually indicates the status as "Not Paid"
-@dorbling

Hello dorbling, and welcome to expat.com!

Would you let us know the details of your pending credit card charge? If the eVisa site's "search" page is showing "In Processing", it sounds as though the payment has been processed.

Again, welcome to expat.com

@Aidan in HCMC Thanks for the welcome!

Yes, when I search the e-visa site using my registration code it says "In Processing." I used my Chase Sapphire Preferred (Visa) which has a pending charge of $25.76 for "E-VISA VIET NAM" so based on those two things it sounds like I shouldn't have any issues.

However, the only reason I thought the payment might have failed is because once I hit submit for my payment the next page showed an exclamation point with the message "Orders are being processed for payment. Please complete the payment in that turn or come back to create a new order!"

I'll keep an eye on my status and hopefully it gets approved. Since it's the weekend I'm not really expecting approval before Wednesday

@Aidan in HCMC Thanks for the welcome!
Yes, when I search the e-visa site using my registration code it says "In Processing." I used my Chase Sapphire Preferred (Visa) which has a pending charge of $25.76 for "E-VISA VIET NAM" so based on those two things it sounds like I shouldn't have any issues.

However, the only reason I thought the payment might have failed is because once I hit submit for my payment the next page showed an exclamation point with the message "Orders are being processed for payment. Please complete the payment in that turn or come back to create a new order!"

I'll keep an eye on my status and hopefully it gets approved. Since it's the weekend I'm not really expecting approval before Wednesday
-@dorbling

I think everything is on track for you.

Once you have received a response from VN immigration, we would very much appreciate your reporting back the end result.

Should you have further questions, dorbling, please do not hesitate to ask. Lots of friendly folk here at expat.com

Well now I'm quite stressed because my girlfriend just applied for her e-visa and she immediately got a payment success screen and an email indicating that the payment was successful. My status is still "In Processing" and the charge still hasn't posted to my credit card.

I've emailed both evisa@immigration.gov.vn and doitac@nganluong.vn but from other posters it sounds like they're not very responsive...

Well now I'm quite stressed because my girlfriend just applied for her e-visa and she immediately got a payment success screen and an email indicating that the payment was successful. My status is still "In Processing" and the charge still hasn't posted to my credit card. I've emailed both evisa@immigration.gov.vn and [link under review] but from other posters it sounds like they're not very responsive...
-@dorbling

Well now dorbling, that is concerning (and understandably stressful).

Just a couple of questions for you. Was the same card used to pay for your GF's eVisa? Does the card used for her eVisa show the payment as "pending", or as a charge which has already gone through? When you "search" your GF's application, does it also show as being "in processing"?

That your card's statement shows your payment as pending, I would suggest indicates that your payment was indeed successful.

There have been inconsistencies reported regarding VN immigration's email responses to application submissions, to payments, and to denial/acceptance results.

And yes, unfortunately you're observation is correct in that there have been numerous reports from expat.com members receiving no response to email inquiries directed to VN immigration. In fact, I would be very surprised to hear from an expat.com member stating that they have indeed received a response from VN immigration to their email(s).

Difficult as it may be, try not to stress too much.

What is you and your GF's intended travel date?

@Aidan in HCMC thank you for your response.

Yes, we used the same credit card for each application. There is now a pending charge for each of us, but nothing has posted to our credit card account yet. Her application does show up as "In Processing"

We are flying into Hanoi on December 5 (though with the weekend would need it by December 2), so there's still time. I'll report back with any updates/changes

Just a reminder for the casual reader of this thread (not a reply to any specific poster):

There are many, MANY of us who've had no problem with multiple eVisa applications.

We have applied and waited for 4 or 5 working days and received our eVisa approvals before the end of the 4th or 5th day.

Based on personal experience, It would not be unusual to apply late on a Monday calendar date, after immigration is closed for the day, and receive the confirmation early on a Friday calendar date.

Attempting to check the progress sooner than that really hasn't served any useful purpose, especially since no one except an agent (for an additional price) can successfully get a response to an inquiry with immigration.

To avoid last-minute stress and uncertainty, please submit your application at least two full weeks in advance.

Also, if you feel intimidated by the process and are looking for a more comfortable and stress-free method of applying, pay the extra money to hire a visa agent.

You will be spending money that a lot of people will say is unnecessary, but everyone I know who has used an agent has been very happy not having had to deal with the online process and waiting to see if payments and applications are approved.

Just a reminder for the casual reader of this thread (not a reply to any specific poster):
There are many, MANY of us who've had no problem with multiple eVisa applications.

We have applied and waited for 4 or 5 working days and received our eVisa approvals before the end of the 4th or 5th day.

Based on personal experience, It would not be unusual to apply late on a Monday calendar date, after immigration is closed for the day, and receive the confirmation early on a Friday calendar date.

Attempting to check the progress sooner than that really hasn't served any useful purpose, especially since no one except an agent (for an additional price) can successfully get a response to an inquiry with immigration.

To avoid last-minute stress and uncertainty, please submit your application at least two full weeks in advance.

Also, if you feel intimidated by the process and are looking for a more comfortable and stress-free method of applying, pay the extra money to hire a visa agent.

You will be spending money that a lot of people will say is unnecessary, but everyone I know who has used an agent has been very happy not having had to deal with the online process and waiting to see if payments and applications are approved.
-@OceanBeach92107

Great post & advice OB especially since you have actually done it successfully multiple times, not like some who are full of advice but never actually done it.

I just wanted to update that my visa was granted midway through the 4th business day. I definitely agree with the poster above to apply at least two weeks in advance (I'm going to target a month next time). Also if you receive any sort of error when applying like I did, keep an eye on your application status and credit card transactions

@dorbling hey there, wondering if you can clarify whether or not you reapplied? I just applied and used my Chase Sapphire Reserve as well. My Chase app shows a pending charge and my status says "in progress." I too got a pop-up page that said my payment failed, but it closed itself. I didn't get any email confirmation of my payment. My flgiht is in two weeks and I am unsure what to do.

@jl1twelve Have u contacted your bank?

(for the casual reader; replying to no one in particular):

I'd lay money on many (most?) of these problems that are being attributed to the payment system, actually being the result of “card not present“ & Việt Nam being the place of purchase, especially with Chase Bank.

Before returning to Việt Nam in 2018, I had 3 Chase cards and spent the better part of a year driving coast-to-coast twice in the USA.

Chase cards were the most problematic for me until I signed up for “Verified by Visa®“ & another MasterCard verification service. 

I had horrible problems with Chase & US Bank cards from August, 2018 through June, 2021 because I didn't maintain my US mobile number and attempted to do everything using Google Talk VOIP.

Now that I've been to & from the USA during COVID, I'm maintaining a new USA phone number (not VOIP) and am able to receive realtime text messages and WiFi or SIM calls via T-Mobile, I get almost all problem notifications via apps or texts including security OTPs.

If I need to call the card company, they recognize the phone as mine (in Mississippi) and problems are quickly solved.

It seems that those people cutting ties between themselves and traditional addresses & phone lines ("retirees", digital nomads & backpackers) are experiencing the greatest difficulties.

If you are contemplating visiting or living in Việt Nam, be careful before you cut all traditional ties to the financial system in your home country.

@Eile got in touch with Chase today and they tell me the charge is pending on their end and not blocked by them. Hopefully that means it did indeed go through, but I will update next week when I find out for sure.

@RTLisSB

I'm not sure what this applies to.

I paid for a Visa for Vietnam and they got my arrival date wrong.

I was given the option of being locked up for 4 days, returning to Malaysia without a ticket or paying 5 million dong. I chose the latter and He took an extra 500,000 for !?? I've no idea, goodwill perhaps.

I was also charged for another visa 3 months into the future and at that time I planned to be in China. It was either e-visa or i-visa. The former I think. It was a few months ago.

Update: The charge moved from pending to posted in the Chase app yesterday (10/17). I received an email from Vietcombank Payment earlier today with my "payment received" confirmation and then later in the day, my application status was updated to approved. I had no issues printing the letter as some have indicated, so perhaps it's best to use this older version of the website instead of the updated application website.

Lesson: If you use the older website (the evisa.xuatnhapcanh one), ignore the payment failed message IF your application status shows "in process" AND you have a pending charge with your bank/credit card. Be patient and wait the normal 3-4 business days and you should be fine. Give yourself enough time before entering the country to ensure you can wait out these few days without having to stress too much just in case there really is an issue with your payment.

@OceanBeach92107

Charles Schwab investment checking.