Divorcing a Belgian

Hello ! After 4 years together (3 years married), we decided to go separate ways.

I am a non EU citizen married to a Belgian, with F Card and I have a permanent contract for a qualified job with a good salary. I've heard there's little chance they'd take away my residence permit. BTW… I received Orange Card in December 2019 and the F Card in June 2020. The legal time starts counting with the Orange card?

We live in Flanders but I am already looking to move out and I have some doubts. Since I work in Brussels my first idea is to go there. However, I wonder if I should wait until we start the formal process or could I just move out when I can?

Luckily we are in good terms but I really need my space and move on from this.

Hello ! After 4 years together (3 years married), we decided to go separate ways.
I am a non EU citizen married to a Belgian, with F Card and I have a permanent contract for a qualified job with a good salary. I've heard there's little chance they'd take away my residence permit.
We live in Flanders but I am already looking to move out and I have some doubts. Since I work in Brussels my first idea is to go there. However, I wonder if I should wait until we start the formal process or could I just move out when I can?

Luckily we are in good terms but I really need my space and move on from this.

-@aphxtwin

Welcome

I am sorry to hear this, at least you are on good terms.

Until someone has a better response, can I direct you to this post>

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=998418

Its might give you some useful tips.

I hope it will be of some help.

SimCityAT

Expat Team

Hello,

Once the divorce is done, you'll have to go to the commune to change your civil status and administrative stuff.

As you've an F card (permanent resident), have been here for more than 3 years, you're working and you've a residential address in that next commune... everything's fine.

First, no worry, you'll keep your F card until it expires.

Once it expires, it depends a bit of the commune... I've heard case where they could have F+ (most likely if the divorce is not stated yet), else the commune will make you switch to the B or L card.

At some point you don't really care, as you'll keep your permanent stay.

The only point of attention is if you want to settle elsewhere in Europe, then L or F+ card would be an asset (+ validity of 10 years), else no difference.

Good luck :cheers:

@AlexFromBelgium hello ! I just saw your reply, thank you very much! :-)

I feel more comfortable knowing that it should be all okay and I can keep my permit.

Just to have a better overview of the way forward, could I move out before starting the process or I must wait until it is done?

I mean, moving out without officially changing my address until I'm officially divorced. It is a bit unclear to me, but I think it's what you meant?

thanks a lot !

The condition to receive the F card is that you stay at the same address as your EU partner.

But after 3 years of stay, you'll keep your F card until it expires, even if you don't live together anymore.

At some point, if you don't change your address and live elsewhere, some documents will be send at your previous address... that might not be the best idea in the world if your partner never give it to you or read them. I guess you see my point~

Considering you have been working in a stable job you will keep your status in Belgium.

Just make sure you move out and change the new address also officially and kick of the procedures. Until a divorce it will be a long time ahead as the procedures are slow. Just if you are in good terms might speed up a bit the procedures.(I do dot know much about divorce law, better to consult a notary first)

@aphxtwin hello .. can u tell me about ur situation please. Did u change ur adress . Did offices foreigner contacted u ? Im in same problem. Need advises please . Let me know