British Citizen marrying fiancé in Morocco - Paperwork query

Hi there, I'm a British Citizen looking to marry my fiancé in August... Just sorting out the paperwork and this is puzzling me a bit... I understand all the paperwork required for marriage etc however, along with our official documents and copy which is apostled, do we need 5 other official copies or we can use photocopies of the apostled copy to give to the other offices and this will be sufficient? Obviously we will take the original too.
I'm seeing in other forums it's best to make up 5 sets of paperwork to give to different offices etc... do all these need to be the official copy or can it be photocopies of the apostled documents? Will be taking originals too!

If anyone could kindly advise, this would be very much appreciated!!!

Look forward to hearing from someone (hopefully) soon!

Lionessx wrote:

Hi there, I'm a British Citizen looking to marry my fiancé in August... Just sorting out the paperwork and this is puzzling me a bit... I understand all the paperwork required for marriage etc however, along with our official documents and copy which is apostled, do we need 5 other official copies or we can use photocopies of the apostled copy to give to the other offices and this will be sufficient? Obviously we will take the original too.
I'm seeing in other forums it's best to make up 5 sets of paperwork to give to different offices etc... do all these need to be the official copy or can it be photocopies of the apostled documents? Will be taking originals too!

If anyone could kindly advise, this would be very much appreciated!!!

Look forward to hearing from someone (hopefully) soon!

Hi firstly congratulations,

Thankfully you can make photo copies and then get them legalised in Morocco your fiancé will now where to do this. Same as legalising a copy of his National ID the same place will also
Legalise you're documents. Please remember everything should also be in Arabic. But legalise English and Arabic copies.

However if your translating documents in Morocco ask the translator to
Provide more than one copy as they do not need to be legalised as they would be deemed as original.

Hope this helps.

@Vakil, from my understanding, documents that are translated to Arabic from the original English in Morocco need to be certified by a notary.

@Lionessx, don't make any photocopies (except the photos) of the documents you need to bring from Britain. But make sure they are all certified (notarized) and authenticated (in the case of the police record).

It's cost effective to get documents translated in Morocco and also, the translators in Britain may not be certified by the Moroccan translation authority, so get it done in Morocco.

After translation, I am not sure if multiple copies of the translation need to be certified or if one document can be certified and that document can make multiple photocopies. I will ask my translator for this information.

NotBrandonSaad wrote:

@Vakil, from my understanding, documents that are translated to Arabic from the original English in Morocco need to be certified by a notary.

@Lionessx, don't make any photocopies (except the photos) of the documents you need to bring from Britain. But make sure they are all certified (notarized) and authenticated (in the case of the police record).

It's cost effective to get documents translated in Morocco and also, the translators in Britain may not be certified by the Moroccan translation authority, so get it done in Morocco.

After translation, I am not sure if multiple copies of the translation need to be certified or if one document can be certified and that document can make multiple photocopies. I will ask my translator for this information.

Hi when recently helping a friend only document that needed to be approved we're the ones issues but the British embassy. All other documents did not have to be noterised.

The police record from
England is also already approved and accepted without any further legalisation.

We just translated all to Arabic. Any photo copies made we took to the local legalised place in morocco where people go to legalise the local ID card photo copy cost 2dh a document. They will certify the photo copy against thé orignal.

Officially translated copies that have been done within Morocco only at an approved location do not need to be legalised as the stamped issued on the document is as good as a notary. Only photo copies have to be legalised at the location described above.

Once again this was what we did couple of month ago when assisting a friend.

Police record in England do not have to be legalised again as the official police record comes stamped and sealed well ours did anyways.

Translation cost in Morocco is around 300-500dh per document and can be emailed in advance to them
To save on time can negotiate the price depending on how many documents and depending on the city also.

In Marrekech we would email the document in advance and collect within 1-2 days all prices were negotiated in advance.

Dear @Vakil & @Lionessx,

Kindly help me to clear these to marry in Morocco. First what are the documents required from UK (as British Citizen):

I have:
1) Police Crime Record from ACRO
2) Birth Certificate from Abroad
3) Divorce Deed done abroad (Apostilled)
4) Divroce deed approved by UK court
5)  3 Months Salary slips
6) Nationality Certificate (Is it required even when I have UK passport?)
7) Certificate of Capacity from UK Embassy Rabat
8) Affirmation or affidavit document to prove you're allowed to marry => WIll it be provided by UK embassy?

Kindly tell me :
1) Are these documents enough? Do I need more?
2) Do then need "'Certificate of No Impediment" from council?
    or Certificate from UK embassy enough?
3) Documents in 7) and 8) above are same?
4) Are these documents need to apostiled?

Thanks

sheikhazad2 wrote:

Dear @Vakil & @Lionessx,

Kindly help me to clear these to marry in Morocco. First what are the documents required from UK (as British Citizen):

I have:

Kindly tell me :
3) Are these documents need to apostiled?

Thanks

Hi firstly congratulations your almost there. will answer each one by one hope it helps.

Need to translate in Arabic can be done in morocco.
Police record needed from morocco can order online via: https://casierjudiciaire.justice.gov.ma … ture=en-US

Translate to Arabic in morocco.

Translate to Arabic in morocco

This jot required for British citizen as the embassy will give you a document verifying your passport and citizenship. This is in French but you will take this and point 7 to the Minstry in rabat who will certify it therefore French will be accepted.

Refer to point 6.

Kindly tell me :
This is not needed anymore just the two documents given by British embassy in rabat or marrekech.

3) Are these documents need to apostiled?
No they don't as they come directly from the embassy.

In morocco you will also need medical certificate can be given by any doctor in morocco.
Proof of religion for men is required but if your Muslim and the courts are satisfied with your response then you don't need a certificate otherwise this can be obtained from within morocco just ask the courts where to get from if they insist you need it. For ladies it's not required.

Hope this helps please feel free to ask any more questions or dm if you would like to discuss privately.

Thank Vakil,

Thanks for the help
What about other documents I listed 1-7 that dont come from Embassy like Divorce docs, date of birth, Police crime record.. Are these required to be apostiled?

sheikhazad2 wrote:

Thank Vakil,

Thanks for the help
What about other documents I listed 1-7 that dont come from Embassy like Divorce docs, date of birth, Police crime record.. Are these required to be apostiled?

Your welcome.

Points 1-7 under each point I have given an answer

Divorce Nope as they embassy will required a copy and the document will
Mention this that the embassy will give you.I never had it done. Just translate to Arabic.

Police record nope just translate to English the police record certificate is accepted as it's verifiable online.

Birth certificate is orignal anyways so no need to just translate to Arabic.

Thanks brother.

Why no apointment date available in website for UK embassy Rabat? Any solution?

sheikhazad2 wrote:

Thanks brother.

Why no apointment date available in website for UK embassy Rabat? Any solution?

Due to Covid appointments are very limited. However please continue to keep checking at both rabat and marrakech. Check everyday and book the earliest you can fine. Then keep checking  again for cancellation and if you find a earlier one then cancel the first one.

But you must keep checking everyday as they update the appointment systems everyday. Also check marrekech and rabat location

Where did you meet your morrocan fiance on Muslima? Arab lounge or any other dating app or matrimonial site?

Hello everyone...just wanted to tune in and let everyone know that process for getting married is actually more complicated than people are led to believe. Depending on a city where you wish to marry as well, plays a huge role. I am a Canadian citizen, marrying a Moroccan man and we have been at this process for 3 weeks now...the last and most important part is waiting for approval to get married for which I personally think is very unnecessary. Paperwork can be done within a week but submitting the paperwork to family court and then sent to police for an interview and then waiting for police to do a background check, relationship check, all sorts of checks and that is the longest time which takes 2 weeks...unnecessary. I took a month to finish everything but I still have to extend my stay and hope they will get back to us soon with their answer if we are allowed to marry...not sure why would anyone tell people they can't marry. I'm kinda frustrated at this process of money grabbing as people are forced to stay in order to finish everything and get married, which once we get married, I have to translate the marriage certificate and certify the document as well. Anyway, if you are planning to get married in Morocco,  count on 6 weeks of stay..good luck to everyone

I agree. The entire process is so tedious and long. However, I dont think they will deny you permission to get married once the police gets done and it goes back to the court for final approval. Have you checked with the court to see if it came back from the police yet? The police says they'll call once they're done but many times they don't and it's done. Once the marriage certificate is translated, for U.S/Americans, they don't have to get that translation certified because the USA automatically accepts Moroccan marriages. I filed for my husband to come to the states with the original Marriage certificate and original translation. They didn't ask for the certified copy of the translation. I don't know how it is for Canada though.

My friend got marry within one week because he paid 2000 MAD to the judge and his employee under the table

Be patient it is good for you investigation going on about your Morroco husband . Your marriage almost has been done but they want to check your Morocco husband background like may be he married or may be any criminal case so wait and have patient and involve in your life because you getting marry in Morocco and government are not fast and easy they have lot of time and do not care others time value. Just starting. You must be patient if you are in Morocco

Hi All

Can I please ask a few questions

- do apostles (birth certificate / acro checks) need to be translated into Arabic?

- if the above point is true how will anyone know what document the apostle is linked to? As the apostle is attached to the English document.

Many thanks!

aiqbal07 wrote:

Hi All

Can I please ask a few questions

- do apostles (birth certificate / acro checks) need to be translated into Arabic?

- if the above point is true how will anyone know what document the apostle is linked to? As the apostle is attached to the English document.

Many thanks!

Birth certificate and Acro need to be translated but do not need to be apostle as they are certifed anyways.

If you get them apostle then you need to translate them but it's not required to get them apostle. A basic dbs check is also acceptable.

Ref to waiting time it's better to keep pressure on the police to speed up the process. It usally takes around 1-2 weeks for the permission but yes it's also good for the police to do the investigation for your own Safety but always keep pressure on and they tend to speed it up when you do.

Hello Everyone
I just want to share my story. I came here in Morocco on August 20 from Canada, the process in Rabat takes 2 business days but since covid, the consulate only takes appointments on fridays, that means staying 5 days for everything. Then all papers needed for the requirements to submit to the court plus the translations  another week. We were able to complete/submit our file on September 12. It's always better if your Moroccan husband and family knows anybody in the court, the Adoul, the police and the mayors office, my husband has, so by September 20 we got married finally but even with people they know, still have to wait for the judge as I feel they're more happy making you wait. It's just that we didn't have to wait for the police or didn't get any interview at all. It still takes time but we got an easy ride because he knows people around, I even got my medical in public clinic for free.
So really, the process here (which I still don't understand why they make it hard to get mix marriage) will be slightly easier if you know people in the government. I've seen couples lashed out in anger and cry in frustration outside the judge office.
Goodluck to Everyone!!! And God bless!

Hi everyone!

Need some advise please, as I have been getting mixed messages regarding documents.
I am planning on marrying my Moroccan partner in Morocco.
Wanted to know in relation to the police certificate, do I need the ACRO police certificate or can I use the public access one?

I want to get a head start on the paperwork prior to me getting there, my future brother in law is happy to start the paperwork at the Moroccan side, do I just need to send him the following initially?

- birth certificate
- police certificate/ public access
-P60? Or a letter from work to confirm I am employed? Is this needed?
- I am divorced (got divorced outside of the UK) will I need to send my divorce certificate?

Thank in advance for your response and help.

Hi
Will a basic DBS certificate be accepted as proof of criminal record? Lots of people saying it has to be ACRO. Getting  married in Marrakech if that makes any difference.
Thanks

you need a ACRO report this is only one that is accepted and its only valid for 3 months.  you can request this by going to the ACRO website. there is also a priority option.

Hello
Has anyone has “no live trace” on their ACRO certificate from a filtered out caution?
If so, did you have any issues with the judge or police with it saying “no live trace”?

thats fine..i know many have had that and all was good.they just want make sure you aint a hard nock crim

Great. Thanks for your reply.

@deedee777 do you mean the certificate or the report that they give you for personal use and they have stated that i cant use it for third party and i had caution 13 years ago

@Vakil hi can the fiancé do this without me being there?

@stokesy1403 Hi, well your fiancé can do all his paperwork without you but Your paperwork in Morocco must be done with you there. So for example the translation you can send coloured scanned copies to your fiancé and ask him to get it translated in Arabic few days before you go. Then show the original to them when you arrive and collect. Thats one way of saving time.

Your Morocco police record you can order online takes 24/48 hours max to arrive so only you can collect this so again do this at the time of arriving or few days before you go. Alternatively you can get it done same day in Rabat.

Your medical certificate in Morocco can be done same day so its fine.

Your embassy documents you can do all in one day if you get the timing right,

Once you have all documents you can submit to court and this part is the waiting part. But once you have conducted the final step and that's the police interview you don't have to be in Morocco wiles your waiting for the Judges permission. and then your fiancé can collect the permission letter once it arrives. it can take a week or some time longer just depends on the city your in.

Once you have permission letter after that your fiancé can book a date with the Adooul for a time for you to legally get married once you return back. Pref wishing 3 months.

So to summarise yes you can technically do it all in a week if your properly prepared.

We do sell a digital book on How to get married in Morocco. Feel free to reach out to me privately for more info.

Hope this helps

Regards

Arif Esa

you need a ACRO report this is only one that is accepted and its only valid for 3 months.  you can request this by going to the ACRO website. there is also a priority option.

- @deedee777

Hi, actually a basic DBS is acceptable and it does not have to be an ACRO despite what people might tell you.

Hope this helps

Regards

Arif
Better to confirm with the court and the police station who is marrying you if they will accept a DBS or the ACRO, as it is them who ultimately decides, nothing worse than turning up with your documents and having to get them despatched from your home country and translated whilst you wait for their delivery to Morocco.

D
@Vakil

Hi, the police record from online is it just emailed to you? Does it need to be certified after? Also l have read that l can go to my embassy in UK to get same paperwork as in Marrakesh? Do you know if that's right as if so that would be better then get it translated after.
@Vakil

Thanks for the reply

So the online police check also needs to be collected from Rabat or can be more local police station?

Regards Cathy
@stokesy1403 Hi, we actually sell a digital book that has full information and guidance in detail on everything it maybe useful for you as it also gives examples from a British citizen. Feel free to private message for more information.

Police record in Morocco can be ordered online but must be collected in person.

Embassy in marrakech all documents even if it's from embassy in marrekech or rabat must still be taken to rabat to be legalised at the ministry of foreign affairs. Then translated. Some courts are flexible and may accept in french but its recommended to do in Arabic but after you have got all the stamps etc.

Regards

Arif
Hello dear, of course I'll help if you have questions!

@Vakil How long does it take to get a Moroccan police record if applied online?

@MrLonelyUS

48 hours is the usual timeframe but can be a day or so later. Depending on the city you need it to be delivered to. But doesn't take long at all.
What documents can be taken from the embassy of Marrakech for a mixed marriage with a british citizen, without needing to go to Rabat ?
Thank you

I am going to be getting married in Morocco and I just needed a little help, as I am divorced and you mentioned on the above post that we need 2 divorce documents from the UK?

Do you mean 1) Decree NiSi & 2) Decree Absolute?

Or is just an Apostilled Decree Absolute enough, then just get it translated to Arabic in Morocco?

Also, instead of the Affidavit from the British consulate I'm Rabat, can I just apply for a Certificate of no Impediment from the local registrar office here in UK and then take to the Ministry of foreign affairs in Rabat to get certified and approved,  would that suffice? Also get a copy of my passport certified locally in Morocco by anyone?

Thanks for your help

@Vakil hello did you guys needed to translate the 3 months payslips to Arabic as well ?