Mixed Marriage Mahar or Dowry for Moroccan Girl from Foreign Husband

Assalamualaikom,

I want to ask how much the minimum total cost in Dirham for Mahr or dowry I can give to a Moroccan Girl or her family in order for them to approve my marriage with my Moroccan Girl of my life.

Wa Alaykum salaam
I think the minimum is 1000  Diramms, there is a minimum set when completing the marriage in the aduls office

You mean the girl or father of girl will sometimes accepts 1000 dirham as offer dowry??

wa alikom Assalam
first of all i want to talk about our  tradition as a Berber girl from Agdair
the Mahar or Dowry is for girl only  girl our family dont accept to share or take from Sadak....
so girl must talk to his fiancé before coming to home and meet the family and they will be OK about  all things " mahar gifts marriage travel home ....."
i know  girls ask about minimum of Mahar  in order to ALLAH  put BARAKA in the marriage ...they are others ask about more ...
I see that its  between  5000Dhs  to what he want man to give for his wife.
best regards

Thank you Ms. Lilya

How about the father or her brothers? Will they demand something or no? THanks

Yes Lilya is right - the money is for the woman only. It's not like buying a car!

The money is for some security for the woman

What I meant was there is a minimum amount that the adul will stipulate at signing of marriage contract. This was 10000 diramm , not 1000 dirramm as I first put

Usually both does not ask something Financial, but they asks if the future husband capable to make their daughter happy and free of life needs or not.

zakariov wrote:

Usually both does not ask something Financial, but they asks if the future husband capable to make their daughter happy and free of life needs or not.

Yes but this is for foreign husband and is part of the marriage contract. A foreigner has to do a lot to marry a Moroccan woman, compared to Moroccan man

Depends on Families and parents mindset.

I am going to Morocco on April 2018 Insha ALLAH from Saudi Arabia where I am currently working as expatriates. My budget is 40,000 SAR or 98,000 Morocco Dirham.

I will give dowry to my wife as follows:
Set of gold jewelry worth 8600 Dirham
Cash worth 10,000 Dirham
------------------------------------------------------
Remaining is 79,400 Dirham

Will she and her family accept my dowry (jewelry+10,000 dirham) as package? Including everything no extra charge

So, any other deductions like the family of the girl won't ask anything?

Who will provide the cost for Wedding Receptions like the foods, tables, etc.? The wedding dress for girl? The girl side or my side? even though we will set our wedding in the girls house.

In the end, whatever the remaining amount of money, we will use it for our Honeymoon in Turkey and after I come back to resume my work in Saudi Arabia, I will process her visa to come with me in abroad.

" Who will provide the cost for Wedding Receptions like the foods, tables, etc.? The wedding dress for girl?"

That's your role mate, but yeah, some families do share investments with the fiance .

Thank's Zakariov,  but may I know are you Morrocan?

How come you know?

I know coz I'm Moroccan))

May Allah bless your Marriage.

This 10,000 dirham that the Adul will stipulates on the contract? Where these 10,000 dirham will go afterwards? To a girl or the Adul himself?

Alhamdulillah, may ALLAH bless you too Zakariov.

ArafatBaunto wrote:

I am going to Morocco on April 2018 Insha ALLAH from Saudi Arabia where I am currently working as expatriates. My budget is 40,000 SAR or 98,000 Morocco Dirham.

I will give dowry to my wife as follows:
Set of gold jewelry worth 8600 Dirham
Cash worth 10,000 Dirham
------------------------------------------------------
Remaining is 79,400 Dirham

Will she and her family accept my dowry (jewelry+10,000 dirham) as package? Including everything no extra charge

So, any other deductions like the family of the girl won't ask anything?

Who will provide the cost for Wedding Receptions like the foods, tables, etc.? The wedding dress for girl? The girl side or my side? even though we will set our wedding in the girls house.

In the end, whatever the remaining amount of money, we will use it for our Honeymoon in Turkey and after I come back to resume my work in Saudi Arabia, I will process her visa to come with me in abroad.

Brother I'm sure the amount for her is fine and will be accepted by both her and family

The family shouldn't ask for anything , most families would be so embaresed to ask and this is not the Moroccan way

You will most likely pay for the wedding costs, dress, food etc but it doesn't cost much, maybe 3000 dirhams or 4000. Set your budget around this I think. Obviously some woman would invite the whole city but just family / close friends is fine

You will have enough for a very nice holiday in a Turkey. Just don't go five star all the way as then you set a standard to keep!

Of course the 10.000 DH will go to the girl and Thanks))

ArafatBaunto wrote:

This 10,000 dirham that the Adul will stipulates on the contract? Where these 10,000 dirham will go afterwards? To a girl or the Adul himself?

To the girl

The wedding dress - I didn't buy one, just rented for the day. I think 3 or 4 dresses I rented as they like to change. They tried to get me in Moroccan dress costume but I stayed strong and kept my jubba

Goldkhalifa wrote:

The wedding dress - I didn't buy one, just rented for the day. I think 3 or 4 dresses I rented as they like to change. They tried to get me in Moroccan dress costume but I stayed strong and kept my jubba

This will save a lot of money. Also I would avoid wedding rings, a waste of money and it's a Christian practice not from Islam

That's true Goldkhalifa, wedding ring is christian way but the girl nowadays wants wedding ring since most girls love to have it. So I don't have choice to provide wedding ring. For the wedding dress, rent is practical way and saves a lot of money. Good advice too

If I go to Morocco. To whom I will go and ask for marriage proposal? Her father or her brother?

ArafatBaunto wrote:

If I go to Morocco. To whom I will go and ask for marriage proposal? Her father or her brother?

Her father. But I didn't really ask , they just had a family meeting and eldest sister to wife's dad said yes it sounds a good idea. It's good to ask her father out of respect

Good, and one more thing, I heard some girl family also asking for FURNITURES asides from dowry??

Is this Furniture necessary? What do you mean by furniture? General like house or appliances??

In your case, did you provide also this on your last marriage to  a Moroccan?

Hello  AraffatBaunto ,
Forniture is not necessary and nowdays almost no one asks for it , it is the opposite here in some tribes (sahara) it's the gilrl's family that provide forniture for their daughter (bed , kitchen tools , clothes closet ... )

generally don't worry no one will ask you for forniture :)

Alhamdulillah,

thanks for info Massen  :)

No you don't  have to give furniture, I think this is confused from providing furniture to your house which of course will be part of providing for your wife/family

I'm not Moroccan but I think it is a good choice to marry a Moroccan woman because often they have good family values and work hard to be a successful family. May Allah make things easy for you

You are right Goldkhalifa,

they are good maybe in family values and a good wife for me InshaAllah

If I may ask
What if the moroccan man marries a foreign woman in Morocco , a woman who has been married before and divorced and has no family with her for the marriage ceremony in aduls office also has no interpreter. As I was not asked nor explained to about the process and not offered anything. Seems unfair to me, not that I am expecting the world , but are we western women not worth what a moroccan woman is worth ?  :/

Lynn1964 wrote:

If I may ask
What if the moroccan man marries a foreign woman in Morocco , a woman who has been married before and divorced and has no family with her for the marriage ceremony in aduls office also has no interpreter. As I was not asked nor explained to about the process and not offered anything. Seems unfair to me, not that I am expecting the world , but are we western women not worth what a moroccan woman is worth ?  :/

Hello Lynn hope you are well

I'm not an expert but in the Islamic marriage (nikkah) something has to be given (called Maher). This has been set with a minimum in Morrocco. If the wife wants to get out of the marriage she has to pay it back. If a man wants to end the marriage he has to have paid it first. Often the payment is deferred. Similarly when I got married I didn't have a translator but the marriage contract was translated first before I signed it, with the payment marked as deferred. I was only going to give a book! Maybe yours is also deferred? Are you in Morrocco now?

Thank you for that informative reply goldkhalifa, he was asked if I remember correctly what the Maher was , and he replied that he would get me something, as he had not offered me anything beforehand, which later on was a small bracelet, I am under the impression that Moroccan women expect gifts of jewellery and cash which can be quite a lot. Don't get me wrong I am not greedy and don't expect much, but somehow I get the feeling that for some this is an easy way out of having to provide a large sum for a wedding.  :/  I am still waiting for him to provide a home for us as he has been refused a visa twice to live with me, we have been married 3 yrs in May and been apart since. I have known him longer. At times I feel very frustrated and confused.  :|

Arafat baunto I wish you well with your wife  :cheers:

Lynn1964 wrote:

Thank you for that informative reply goldkhalifa, he was asked if I remember correctly what the Maher was , and he replied that he would get me something, as he had not offered me anything beforehand, which later on was a small bracelet, I am under the impression that Moroccan women expect gifts of jewellery and cash which can be quite a lot. Don't get me wrong I am not greedy and don't expect much, but somehow I get the feeling that for some this is an easy way out of having to provide a large sum for a wedding.  :/  I am still waiting for him to provide a home for us as he has been refused a visa twice to live with me, we have been married 3 yrs in May and been apart since. I have known him longer. At times I feel very frustrated and confused.  :|

Yes it is often cash or jewellery. There are examples from the time of the Prophet when what was given was small or people couldn't find anything to give at first. I know in some countries now the women ask for a lot and even the woman's family take some money which is nothing to do with it. Like your husband I only offered something small, but the adul stated it at to be 10000 diramms so I had to go with it as deferred. A lot of Muslim do spend huge amounts on weddings but this not recommended. It's difficult with them rejecting your husbands visa , messing up your plans. It's hard in Morrocco financially but in the end I think it will be the better place to live.

Thank you Lynn  :)

Thank you please don't get me wrong as I don't care for much expense. I have visited morocco a few times and love it and I am looking forward to living there and I know it has become harder for many financially, I hope I do not have to wait for much longer, I.am concerned about the intense heat in summer season though  :| I think to be honest my husband presumed he would automatically be granted entry to my country with marriage as now the responsibility is on him to provide a home for me and that is proving to be difficult for him. Have a good day all  :cheers:

Good luck for you and to your husband Lynn1964

Thank you Arafat baunto  :)

father and bothers dont demande anything but all mans and womens like gifts
somthing special not expensive from Saudia is good to give  family
good luck

Thank you Lilyya . I will take note of that.