Got answers? I got questions!

I'm looking for info on becoming an expat.  My biggest concern is viability.  I know very little about what's outside of the US.  While I am writing up a list of potential countries, I am digging into "other" bits of info I feel I'm going to need.  So this is a start-

1) Why did you become an expat? 
    1a) Was it worth it? 
    1b) Would you do it again? 
         1b1) If not, why? 
         1b2) If so, why? 
2) Would you choose somewhere else if you had the chance? 
    2a) Why? 
3) What is it I should look for and be wary of when I try it?

Thanks!

Hi cactus jack,

Here are my first thoughts:

cactus jack wrote:

For several reasons. The first one would be because our world is big, and there are a lot of things to learn from it and from its people. Discovering other people, their culture, their history, and they way of life is very exciting ;)

Another reason is that I don't like routine!

You can find other opinions here: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=27
and here:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=38

cactus jack wrote:

1a) Was it worth it?

Yes it is a very interesting experience. It open your minds on things you can't think about while you are in your home country. What I like the most is learning from people I meet. It makes you think about life with new points of view. Living in a foreign country teaches you a lot about life.

cactus jack wrote:

Yes I would :D

cactus jack wrote:

1b2) If so, why?

Once you've started, you can't stop ;) Every time I have moved to find out how things are somewhere else, and the more I found out how they are, the more I realize that I don't know anything and that they are still a lot of things to learn.

cactus jack wrote:

2a) Why?

Everybody thinks than life can be better somewhere else, inside or ouside your country. There are a lot of good things all around the world, but you have to move in accordance to your personal interests and feelings. I am for example interested  in the Spanish and in the Australian way of life, in the Japanese culture, in the British and American sense of business, in Canada's social benefits ...

Once you've moved, you meet a lot of other foreigners, who are talking about their travels and experiences. It makes you feel that you're not alone to enjoy that and that it is a good way of life.

cactus jack wrote:

First you have to think about your personal objectives. Do you want to boost your career, are you looking for a good way of life, do you like the beach or the mountain ... It is complicated but you need an objective and the reason that motivates that objective. I began to move because I wanted to improve my English and my Spanish. I also I decided to move for work reasons (it is easier to find an interesting job with responsibilities in the UK than in France). Then I thought about lifestyle and I am now living in Spain ...

You also need to know if you want to work for a US company abroad or not; it is financially interesting to work abroad for a company from you home country, but it can difficult to find that job. Then it depends if you're working with locals, that will help for your integration, or if you're working only with people who are coming from the same place.
Another thing is the language. It is often a barrier, but you can always learn if you are ready for it. I think that it is very complicated to understand people's way of thinking if you don't understand their language. And when you realize that you're getting integrated, you really feel proud of yourself.

Few other concerns when you're moving to a foreign country: the culture shock, getting a job in your area, finding an accommodation, health issues, education ... In few time, the "resources" part of the expat blob website will be opened, and I hope we'll share our tips, experiences, and that we'll get advice from expatriate to expatriate!
I am already looking for contributions here: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=81#339
and here:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=80

I hope I gave you few first ideas, and that we'll receive other opinions ;)

Take care,

Julien

Because being abroad is so much more interesting than being stuck in the same place forever. Like when you go away for on holiday for a couple of weeks and when you get back it seemed like a month, when you live abroad for a few years, you get much more out of life. You get home and see your friends doing the same thing they were a few years previously, and you know you did the right thing...

1a) Was it worth it?

Yes

Yes, but probably only in Japan & the UK now

See above

Coming from the US, it will be difficult to match your standard of living, in terms of disposable income, buying power, etc. Some people who I know that relocated from the US to Europe had a hard time adjusting to the fact that in Europe they earnt a lot less and prices were not much lower. They had to get used to a smaller car, a smaller apartment and smaller food portions....;)
A visa is the other big issue.

While I am writing up a list of potential countries

Japan
Japan
Japan
Americans seem love it here in Japan. Might be something to do with being mistaken for Brad Pitt everywhere they go....;)

cactus jack wrote:

My wife! (Girlfriend at the time though). Was interested in Japan before I met her. She merely accelerated my plans for working in Japan for a bit.

cactus jack wrote:

1a) Was it worth it?

Yes. Sometimes things can be difficult. But, in many ways, that's what makes it fun and interesting. Variety is the spice of life, and all that.

cactus jack wrote:

1b1) If not, why? 
         1b2) If so, why?

Yes. Why go to one country, when you can try more  ;)

cactus jack wrote:

2a) Why?

At the moment, wife and I are dicussing where we live in the future. Do we stay here. Probably not (Japan is a short term experience for us). Do we go back to the UK? Other options we are looking at is New Zealand and Ireland. The reason for Ireland and New Zealand is a more relaxed lifestyle and the environment. The one thing that's missing in Japan (where most of the IT work is, Tokyo) the relative lack of green countryside. I used to live in Bath in the UK. There was IT work, the countryside was never far away to escape from it all.

cactus jack wrote:

Well, it really depends where you are planning on going. Say in your case, you went to NZ, Canada(?), Australia or UK... then one less worry is language issues. We all (sort off ;) ) speak the same language. Living elsewhere in Europe or Japan means you need to understand the language to varying degrees. My Japanese is poor (still learning when I get the chance, time away from work and doing life's other essentials), but I have my wife to help. If you are by yourself, getting help is harder. It naturally will affect your job prospects as well.

The other thing I suppose is hwo well do you think you can adapt and change your behaviour to fit in and not offend the locals. Of course, no one expects you to go 'fully native', because then you are changing who you are. But, appreciating other people's customs and thinking helps.

Anyway, I would seriously recommend it given the chance. The more we (by 'we' I mean the human race in general) interact with each other in a friendly manner, the world will be a better place (oooo, I sounded like a bit of a hippy then :)  )

Meet other expats and join the events

OR