Hi there

I am 43 year old single lady considering moving to Libya in the next month or so, as I have received a good job offer with a US/Libyian owned oil company to work as a secretary.

I would like to hear from english/irish expats living and working in Libya, to learn about their experiences and views.

Anyone welcome, all views of interest!

Many thanks!

Hi

I am a Kiwi moving from Kuwait to Tripoli on the 8th March to start a new job. I would be interested in finding out about Tripoli and meeting up with people when I eventually get there. If anyone plays any instruments, I am keen for a jam - nothing too serious!

Welcome to both of you and good luck ! :-)

Hi all, I,m Geoff 43 from Wales UK, I only arrived in Tripoli on the 23rd of Feb 09, so very new, but my initial findings are positive, we are staying in the Bal AL Bahr Hotel, so as yet got no transport so have had to walk a few places, but mainly for trying to lose a few pounds, as the taxi's are cheap, but don't speak English, most stuff for house as well as personal cleaning/grooming are available, and the price is on a par with the uk.

One thing that is a bit mad is the standard of driving or should I say lack of, I have a driver to and from work (Waha Oil Company) but after 3 months I will have to drive myself, so if anyone knows where I could pick up a cheap seconhand car, I would be happy to hear from you, and while on the subject of cars, the petrol is approx 20p per litre, after the frighting uk prices that is a welcome suprise, hello V8 te he

Take care all on your travels

Cheers
Geoff

Hi Geoff

I am busy trying to get things together to come over to Tripoli this weekend. I start the new job on Sunday, but I think Monday should be a holiday. How much do you need to speak Arabic to get on there? I would like to send you some questions before I arrive, if you don't mind.

Derek

Hi Derek,
You are correct today (Monday 2nd March 09 ) is a holiday. As for speaking the language, I never new a word when I got here last week, so I have only learn't thank, but you always seem to make yourself understood, and the locals are very friendly. If you have any questions just ask away, but please bare in mind I have only been here one week, but loving it
Cheers
Geoff

Hi All,
I too will move to Tripoli very shortly. I'm now in Muscat, Oman and have been appointed by a Qatari company to deliver a large mixes use real estate project. I've been in the Middle East for a number of years but never Libya. I would be grateful for information on getting settled.

Do expats live in compounds? How much are reasonable villas or apartments?

How much are 4 x 4's? Can I bring mine from Oman?

How is your banking. Do you have a local account?

I have lots of furniture and household goods stored in Dubai. Should I ship them?

I also play the guitar. Anyone else?

Have you found any booze or will I have to make it? Ingredients available?

It's hard for me to find clothes that fit. Are tailors available in Tripoli as in other Middle Eastern cities?

Any other info sure would be appreciated.
Cheers,
S

Hi Ozzie

I have only been here in Tripoli about a month. My first impressions are that it is a bit more upmarket than Egypt. A little like Alexandria but better cars, etc. People are very friendly. It is not as sophisticated as Oman.

Villas are similar to Oman. There is one large western compound in the west of the city, otherwise people just live mixed with everyone else. I am not sure on prices.

How much are 4x4's, how long is a piece of string? What makes, model, age, etc are u talking about?

Generally westerners keep their home country bank and use debit cards to withdraw local currency.

Bringing your furniture is entirely up to you. There are furnished places available here.

I play a little guitar if you want a jam sometime.

Yes, there are tailors here.

Hi all,

well I have moved to Tripoli a year ago, and I can answer questions if anyone would like to know about tripoli...

I could do ith finding a good satelite guy and decent second hand car dealer. I'm living in Regatte
Cheers
Geoff

for the satelite guy, the buy it from any shop and they will come and set it up for you free. You can trust them they know what they are doing, since there is no cable tv or anything here... I've got one to my flat, first I was not convinced that they can set it up but it has been over a year since it has been installed and it is working great. Buy something that has a motor for you to change its direction to which sattellite you want the watch at that moment.
For the second hand dealers there is a website called www.carlibya.com
you can find a dealer from there and make a good bargain face to face. Also you can find some second hand dealers in hay demashek and ear the el wafe hospital which is near to the international airport...

hi there,
should you be interested in teaching english language in an international language centre in tripoli, please contact me at juliacrecan@yahoo.com.it s good place to make friends.
thanks, julia

By the way can anyone advise me an Arabic teacher I wanna learn Arabic..(sure has to know english) after hours 2 times a week  ..let me say 19:00-20:00 or friday any time..

what do u think can I find?

regards.
cengiz.

If you ask around, I'm pretty sure you will find a teacher, but Friday I doubt it, but they may do it in the afternoon for you
Cheers and happy hunting
Geoff

petalbabe wrote:

I am 43 year old single lady considering moving to Libya in the next month or so, as I have received a good job offer with a US/Libyian owned oil company to work as a secretary.

I would like to hear from english/irish expats living and working in Libya, to learn about their experiences and views.

Anyone welcome, all views of interest!

Many thanks!

Hi,

I am also from Cork. Will be in Libya by end of the month/ mid July....all going well :)

Fran

I would like to contact expats in Libya who have an interest in the local (particularly traditional) culture. I will not be ready to go to Libya for some time. I am planning to get certification to teach English.