New Expat - What to expect

Hey guys,

I'll probably be moving there in the next few months with my family (wife and 3 kiddos) to assist with some large projects my company has won. (Engineering / Construction Admin)

I have a few questions I haven't seen answered in the forums:

- Can I bring my Bible or will it get taken at Customs?

- How about other Christian media (i.e. books, CDs)?

- Does Skype / Yahoo Messenger / Facebook work or is it blocked?

- How restricted is internet access in Libya? (Will I be able to access flicker, church websites, Amazon, Itunes....)

- We are avid readers, and my wife has a Kindle. I was considering getting one so we can just download any books we want...will this be a problem?

- Is haggling expected or are prices fixed?

- We will be home-schooling our kiddos (and considering getting them a piano teacher). I know it's pretty boring, but what are some things for kids to do? (ages 5 and under)

I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions once I get the final ok, but it's looking like my chances of going are around 95%. We are definitely looking forward to it.

Thanks,

rsc2a :D

rsc2a wrote:

Hey guys,

I'll probably be moving there in the next few months with my family (wife and 3 kiddos) to assist with some large projects my company has won. (Engineering / Construction Admin)

Tell em: complete HVAC!!! No split units please :)

-

Can I bring my Bible or will it get taken at Customs?

Bring it. It wont be confiscated.

- How about other Christian media (i.e. books, CDs)?

I don't see a problem if they are for personal use. But if they suspect that you're going to "witness" to others, you could get in big trouble. Guys at customs cant read English for the most part, but avoid anything that looks remotely like this:
http://www.dramainnature.com/PosterSamples/Cross.jpg

The point is, be discreet.

- Does Skype / Yahoo Messenger / Facebook work or is it blocked?

Last time I checked they all work.

- How restricted is internet access in Libya? (Will I be able to access flicker, church websites, Amazon, Itunes....)

I heard of possible issues with itunes. some songs cant be purchased from libya or something. Never tried it myself. Youtube does that occasionally, like one in every 10 videos. Other than that, it's all fine and dandy.
Oh, you could post links to sites you use and other forum members can test em for you from here, if it's that important.

- We are avid readers, and my wife has a Kindle. I was considering getting one so we can just download any books we want...will this be a problem?

No input. I am wondering about that too.

- Is haggling expected or are prices fixed?

Depends where and what you shop. Groceries: fixed and often with little tags indicating the price. Produce: fluctuates with season and market supply, but no haggling and NO price tags/signs. Electronics, cars, furniture, appliances..etc all  haggl-able. But from my limited experience (I've only purchased a refrigerator so far) there isn't much room for argument. It's almost not worth the trouble. Others may have had different experience.

- We will be home-schooling our kiddos (and considering getting them a piano teacher). I know it's pretty boring, but what are some things for kids to do? (ages 5 and under)

Nailing kittens to trees with 10" nails!

JK. Plenty of parents here. I am not. They may be of better assistance, although some of them may tell you to "take your mouse for a walk" around the forum :) I've seen a couple of threads about kids activities..etc
Dont be too optimistic though.

I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions once I get the final ok, but it's looking like my chances of going are around 95%. We are definitely looking forward to it.

Thanks,

rsc2a :D

Yep!! we're eagre to see you suffer as well :)
JK again... You'll love it here!!

I've got a UK i-tunes account, works fine. Also download magazines through Zinio.

rsc2a wrote:

AFAIK you will encounter a few problems with the Kindle, WhisperNet will not function here due to Geographical restrictions. I believe you can purchase and transfer items from a PC through Amazon.com.
I would suggest calling or emailing Amazon.

As for the Bible, can you not get a digital version to put on your Kindle?

Re. iTunes:
I have UK and US iTunes accounts. No problems with either.

Bibles are fine.  The government allows some churches to operate.

gabacho wrote:

Jews are cool. Just not the Israeli variety. :rolleyes:

Sandman6 wrote:
gabacho wrote:

Jews are cool. Just not the Israeli variety. :rolleyes:

Just don't try and convert the locals... it's illegal.

Also, bring a valid passport to church, since they check it at the door sometimes.
Other than that, you should be ok.

Well 02 months back i too moved in with lots of apprehensions [and frankly speaking still have an unanswered few left]but all in all it has been a decent experience so as 2 speak.

----Facebook,linkeden,yahoo messanger,skype,e-phone & web
    phones all work fine[slow but not sluggish].
----People are friendly and real helpful although not highly
    conversant in English;however doesn't hinder in the least!
----I am not sure about religous aspects though;however lots
    of Indian expats out here have their own sociel getaways.
----The Best Part though is most definitly the weather. I mean
    as an Indian from delhi i am attuned to the extremes!
    Pollution is definitly minimal and haggling is no issue?
----Schools-GEMS is the Best perhaps as far as IB Board is
    concerned and their are lots of talented teacher's
    available.
From an Indian perspective i have found Tripoli to be a raw
combo of modernity and gone by era;there is a slice of Italy & Turkry as far as habitat,art,food & cultural leanings are concerned.Believe u me whence i say that i do not find it crowded even though there are traffic snarls in mid town/central Tripoli [...which again r no patch?what say!].:)