Doubts about Libya (for someone new)

Hi to all,

First of all, my name is Miguel, iŽm portuguese and  iŽm about to go to Tripoli for a work journey of a year. For my mistakes, please excuse my english, its been awhile since i left the english classes at the school.

This is my first topic and before you think iŽm another “pain in the a s s” (no ofense) asking the same things as everyone else by the moment they registered at the Expat.com i want you to know iŽve been reading a lot of topics and iŽve learned some important things from your experiences.

However i have some doubts.

The money transfer matters, for a start. I read (sandman) that the western union is an assault in commissions, however using the ATM would be ok.

1- Is there ATMŽs all over the place in Tripoli like any city in europe?

2- Could i get payed in my country and use my portuguese visa card at the ATM in Libya? (as i read, foreign people canŽt open bank accounts at libya, at least i understood it that way).

3-  Is there a limit quantity of money/day that you can get at the ATM? How much? (iŽm thinking about the rent payment..)

I read also that the european driving license its ok in Libya, but it need to be translated to arabic language at the local embassy.
I believe some arabe countries drive from the left side of the road like in England, but the generally countries in europe drive from the right side. How about Libia?

4 - Do you know what is the cost/month to rent a small car? IŽm not sure i need to buy a car to stay a year in tripoli. Do you usually use a car or a bus?

5 – The food at the supermarket is it ok? I mean, the milk, meat, rice, drinks, fruit, all that stuff. How much do you spend/month?

Has all the other doubts i guess the time and experience there will teach me, i hope, in the easy way…

Thank you so much for all your help. I need this information to know if iŽm getting well, or badly payed LOL

Miguel_CTR wrote:

1- Is there ATMŽs all over the place in Tripoli like any city in europe? It may take a visit to several ATM's before finding one that works, but there are over 30 ATM's around the city centre

2- Could i get payed in my country and use my portuguese visa card at the ATM in Libya? (as i read, foreign people canŽt open bank accounts at libya, at least i understood it that way). Yes you can use your non-Libyan visa card in the ATM's

3-  Is there a limit quantity of money/day that you can get at the ATM? How much? (iŽm thinking about the rent payment..) The withdrawl limit is made by your own bank.

I read also that the european driving license its ok in Libya, but it need to be translated to arabic language at the local embassy. Yes, but better to buy a Libyan licence
I believe some arabe countries drive from the left side of the road like in England, but the generally countries in europe drive from the right side. How about Libia? Any side of the road they like, although it's officially on the right

4 - Do you know what is the cost/month to rent a small car? IŽm not sure i need to buy a car to stay a year in tripoli. Do you usually use a car or a bus? Hire of a local car and driver (not Avis) is around 1,000 Lyd per month

5 – The food at the supermarket is it ok? I mean, the milk, meat, rice, drinks, fruit, all that stuff. How much do you spend/month? I spend half my money on drink and loose women. The rest I just waste

Sandman,

If you could, just tell me.

How much is the cost of a Lybian license and where do i buy it? In the libyan embassy in Portugal, or in Libya?

Foreign people in general use the bus/taxi or buy/rent a car? It seems to me renting a car its not such a good idea..

You said you spend half you earn on drinks. But it isnŽt forbiden alcoholic drinks anyplace there? Really, how much do you spend for month on food?

Thank you for your help.

Fala Miguel,

Me and my wife made an approximation with an excel sheet and gathered data from the forum, and for my old lady and me, 2300 USD (about 2980 Libian Dinars) will be our monthly expense, covering various things from Internet access, groceries, taxis, gym, SatTV... and NOT INCLUDING Caipirinha and variants (Sad, really sad)

Make a deep search and try to make your own estimation.. there's enough data in the forum regarding prices.

If you know spanish, I can give you a copy of my sheet (LOL, I love how it sounds...).. just let me know and I will upload it....

Buena Suerte...

PS: Renegociate your salary always...if possible

I know one or 2 long term expats who've bought cars and a couple of people who trust taxis. Most expats get a car as part of their package.

Below might help -

You can drive using an international driving license "legally" for a month as per our PR department, but I did for about 3 months and another 2 using my Dubai License. Once you're a resident, it is advisable to get a Libyan one of course. For this, you need your existing license translated in arabic, your libyan visa copy and your passport copy.

A Libyan license costs LYD 250-300 (EUR 140-170) which is normally obtained via freelance agents, if you go thru you employer's connections you can it for a little lower. I got it for LYD 240 (EUR 135) - with a funny story in it.

There are about 4 rent-a-car shops in As Sarim in Tripoli and an "old" sedan will cost you LYD 40-45 (EUR 22-25) per day and a "new" sedan i.e. model 2007-2008 will be LYD 55-60 (EUR 31-35) per day. Consider buying a car instead if your employer will not provide you one. Either way - brace yourself and consider all the driving rules you know null and void :)

Hy Guys.. with everyone talking about driving madness in Libya, may I ask ; if we buy a car, and we hire a driver, how much would a driver salary be? should be Libyan or other nationalities working as such is common? thanks! M.

E aí Freakfingers!! Tudo bem??

Look, (althought it really sounds strange) i would apreciate if you could send me a copy of your sheet (LOL). IŽm trying to understant all the expenses so i may renegotiate the salary with strong arguments. A shame not including the caipirinhas.... but maybe going by boat to Italy it could save the day.

However, for what you said, it seems to me my boss has done a good homework.

Obrigado.

Mudman,

Well, for a 1000 LYD a month i will rather buy it, indeed. However, in the first days maybe the taxi and a bycicle will fit. About that, does anyone use the bycicle there?

Tea,

It helped indeed, and i will follow your advice. I will forget all the traffic rules I know and trust in the Chaos Theory, MurphyŽs Law and the Butterfly Effect. LOLOL

Miguel_CTR wrote:

does anyone use the bycicle there?

I cycle on Friday mornings on the roads outside of town. But to cycle in town on any other day is a deathwish.