Freedom of movement for UK National

Hi  I have just retired and spending a lot of time in Malta over the last 30 years as a tourist  and in the Royal Air Force in 1972, I drove my car down to Malta in May 19 and tried to register it.  having spent 18months trawling through the paperwork I Have finally  been granted Freedom of Movement. and have an interview with ID Malta in January.  however I cant seem to find exactly what I will be able to do.

I hope to be able to open a bank account / register- insure my car ect ect.

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

When you visit ID Malta they will advise you that you need proof of Residency for minimum 3 months and proof of self sufficiency by showing 3 months Bank statements. Take your Passport with you.
Afterwards you may go through the issues of car registration etc.
It is better that you prepare the paperwork before your visit as you may sit there for 4 hours as I indeed did. I have been here 30+ years but was still required to provide the paperwork which they only told me at the interview.
You have until June 2021 to satisfy the paperwork requirements and Register.
Call me on *** if you require further assistance.

Moderated by Diksha 3 years ago
Reason : Please exchange contact details through private messaging. Thank you.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
bobj102 wrote:

Hi  I have just retired and spending a lot of time in Malta over the last 30 years as a tourist  and in the Royal Air Force in 1972, I drove my car down to Malta in May 19 and tried to register it.  having spent 18months trawling through the paperwork I Have finally  been granted Freedom of Movement. and have an interview with ID Malta in January.  however I cant seem to find exactly what I will be able to do.

Are you british or Maltese? As you are described as Maltese expat in England

bobj102 wrote:

Just reclaim your Maltese nationality and retire in Gozo. Transport Malta will be very happy to register your car over here because the annual license fee in Malta is twice as high as the tax in the UK. I almost forget to mention the tax you have to pay when you bring your car from the UK to Malta. This will be a real delight. I was so disappointed when I took my car from Malta to Germany and these people over there told me no tax for importing a car. However, Malta is different. Enjoy the difference.

British. Expat in Malta. Been here since 1989.

Opening a bank account in Malta is very tricky. And due to Brexit, some UK banks will close accounts for expats.

sjan wrote:

British. Expat in Malta. Been here since 1989.

GozoMo was replying to to 'bobj102'!