Gr'day from Australia! Looking for a locals view on MALTA!

Hi everyone!
I'm an Australian guy looking to move to beautiful Malta!
Under the right employment conditions I may be there in a couple of months and would love to know how other expats are finding it there!
I've done a lot of research but some things are hard to get a good sense of..
I'm 29 years old professional guy working in Geophysics.
Malta looks stunning but are there any young people living there?

I've relocated before to Holland and currently South Africa in Cape Town but it seems Malta is a retirement island?!??!

I would love to hear your experiences living in Malta!
House prices / availabilities, average wages, do's and dont's, Medical facilities, party culture, gymnasiums, sporting teams (rugby?) all comments and insights much appreciated!
Looking forwrd to hearing from other vibrant expats!
Cheers,
Sam.

Hi Sam,

welcome to the forum.

You probably know that Amsterdam is 2/3 the size of Malta and has twice as many inhabitants.

Geophysics is a very specialized area. Check out the job opportunities here in Malta.

For more general questions and answers to most of your queries browse through the forum. There is a lot of information here.

If you find a well-paying job you will probably love the island , if not .....

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks Ricky,
I've actually got a job already lined up.. Just doing that extra bit of research before I give up Cape Town..
Cheerio

Samsterdam wrote:

I'm 29 years old professional guy working in Geophysics.

Hope this information answer that question:

http://s23.postimg.org/nvejzgtu3/maltapopulationpyramid2009.png

http://s14.postimg.org/gjehnz8n5/migrationmalta2009.png

Source: http://nso.gov.mt/

Hi Sam,

that's great.

Feel free to ask any specific questions that are not already answered.

I'm not quite sure what side of the chart is male or female but the age distribution in the chart Lusco sent is quite even.

So there are young people livinmg here -)))

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

I'm not quite sure what side of the chart is male or female but the age distribution in the chart Lusco sent is quite even.

The second chart already says "males" and "females" but the first graph I understand that females are in the right because you can see a big difference in the 75+ group (I guess the difference of life expectancy between men and women is the reason for that difference)

Samsterdam note also that Malta is visited by around 1,5 million tourists per year (more than 3 times the population of the country -this proportion is much higher in the places where more expats live since those are also the most tourist destinations-).

Lusco wrote:

-this proportion is much higher in the places where more expats live since those are also the most tourist destinations-).

Have you got a graph to prove where more expats live?

Samsterdam wrote:

I've relocated before to Holland and currently South Africa in Cape Town but it seems Malta is a retirement island?!??!

Sam.

Are you having a laugh or just having a go?
Are you asking about the expat community or the indigenous population?
You need to do more research and also try to understand some things, like we all age! You will do so too some day.
In the meantime, as in any community there are young and old alike with some 'in betweenies', like you.
It's not just a young person's playground to be exploited but then it's not just a place for the elderly to retire to either.
It's a country and a home to many, both young and old.

Also if you had done your research here you would see many posts from young people looking for social contact etc.

Thanks for the great tips Ricky and Lusco!
Has helped with the ongoing research.

redmik wrote:
Lusco wrote:

-this proportion is much higher in the places where more expats live since those are also the most tourist destinations-).

Have you got a graph to prove where more expats live?

Not graphs but maps:

http://s24.postimg.org/iyk51gpid/map.jpg

Those are the Spanish expats members of expatblog that are supposed to be living there in Malta.

You can check the same Maps with any big group of expats (Italians, etc.) and you will see similar results.
https://www.expat.com/en/network/

Interesting to see that some Spanish expats live offshore.:whistle:

Terry

I couldn't find a ready made map for English ex pats and I couldn't be bothered to make one.

tearnet wrote:

Interesting to see that some Spanish expats live offshore.:whistle:

Terry

According to Google Maps they live in this new offshore complex with apartments and restaurants:

http://s22.postimg.org/4b0wbwu1t/seaservicesmalta.png

:thanks: Wey Hey! I knew you had a sense of humour :)

How you doing.

Reading through you post their thought I would give you my quids worth.

Maltas a great place, its a relaxed way of life over here, good weather, good food, beaches, barbecues, and some pretty friendly people.

Their are things that will infuriate you when ya live here, bad roads and driving for one, but after a while ya learn to forget them.

I agree with one of the previous posts, if you have a job with decent enough pay you'll live comfortably.
Its just like anywhere else their are old and young and all the ages between, nite life is ok its no Ibiza, but the main area to party Paceville, is passible and during the summer months is heaving with people.

When it comes to Rugby, Maltas MRFU (Malta rugby football union)
are doing ok it has to be said, its still new over here only really being played for the last like 15 years, they have club level games and their are a fair few teams that play weekly.
I actually play for a team at the moment called the Ghargur Gladiators, when you come over come and train a couple of sessions see how ya like it.

Good luck anyway, hope I helped a little.

chris4tz wrote:

How you doing.

Reading through you post their thought I would give you my quids worth.

Maltas a great place, its a relaxed way of life over here, good weather, good food, beaches, barbecues, and some pretty friendly people.

Their are things that will infuriate you when ya live here, bad roads and driving for one, but after a while ya learn to forget them.

I agree with one of the previous posts, if you have a job with decent enough pay you'll live comfortably.
Its just like anywhere else their are old and young and all the ages between, nite life is ok its no Ibiza, but the main area to party Paceville, is passible and during the summer months is heaving with people.

When it comes to Rugby, Maltas MRFU (Malta rugby football union)
are doing ok it has to be said, its still new over here only really being played for the last like 15 years, they have club level games and their are a fair few teams that play weekly.
I actually play for a team at the moment called the Ghargur Gladiators, when you come over come and train a couple of sessions see how ya like it.

Good luck anyway, hope I helped a little.

Hi Chris

......"hope you helped a little?"

Wow man!.......best 'quids worth' I've read here in a while.

Bit old to come and train with you, however, I do enjoy the game (both codes)...........In my youth I played for 'Wigan St Pats' schoolboys (different code I know)....but went on to train with Orrell RUFC youth before moving away. Might take one of your games in when next over.........(Faith, Hope and Charity - I love the history connection)

take care

Mike

Edit:  Couple of Typo's.......time to retire me thinks.

Hi Sam,
After WW2 there was a mass exodus of Maltese to Australia (et al). As a result, there are now more Maltese and Maltese descendents in Australia than actually live in Malta. The outcome of that is that almost everyone here has some connection with Australia (a cousin, uncle, aunt etcetera) - so Australians are warmly welcomed here. 

We're from Sydney, and we bought a house in the ancient 3-cities area last December. Tourists abound here in the long summer months, but winter and spring are relatively quiet. We like it that way, as we prefer to party on someone else's doorstep (or at home). 

The local supermarket stocks Vegemite and Australian cheddar cheese! The Aussie embassy is active and we've found it very easy to assimilate. Learning Maltese is a challenge - but entirely optional as English is widespread.

As for young people - Malta's long hot summer attracts fit young people from all over the world, so don't just rely on population statistics. There's always a party going on somewhere.

Hope that helps you get a better picture.

Edit:

Posted somewhere else.......

sorry people

Mike

So far not really excited!
Roads are crap! Drivers are almost like in Egypt! Public sector a mess and crazy: You have to have an ID to be able to have a bank account, apply for lower rates in electricity BUT they dont issue ID's any more...go figure...
Place its ok, nice,  kind of pretty, but tooooo small and the traffic is HELL. I guess after a while with the heat and the humidity it would be great.
Dont get me wrong, people are nice, there is a lot of history and culture, but day to day living is not as I expected it to be.

paako1 wrote:

So far not really excited!
Roads are crap! Drivers are almost like in Egypt! Public sector a mess and crazy: You have to have an ID to be able to have a bank account, apply for lower rates in electricity BUT they dont issue ID's any more...go figure...
Place its ok, nice,  kind of pretty, but tooooo small and the traffic is HELL. I guess after a while with the heat and the humidity it would be great.
Dont get me wrong, people are nice, there is a lot of history and culture, but day to day living is not as I expected it to be.

Welcome to Malta :D

Hi Sam,

I'm not sure if I've ever posted on these forums, but I have the odd look every now and then - and your post caught my attention.

As chris4tz says, we have the MRFU here for Union. And in case you're into League, we have the MRL. Both are smashing results on the international stage - and putting Malta on the sporting map indeed! One thing in common, we always welcome new players.

As a side note, and not sure if I can post the group here (don't want to abuse spam guidelines etc) but I run a group for Australians in Malta (holidaymakers to expats alike), we meet semi-regularly and are aged 20 to 40-ish on average. But yeh, the rock is a great little place to be!

Hey MikeInPoulton;
Wigan St Pats hey! Andy Gregory played out there back in his junior days. He's out on Malta regularly enough. One of the greats!

Anthony

Can anyone tell me where I can buy a Malta RFU shirt?
I've been trying for ages and apart from at the airport (expensive and sizes too small) I haven't been able to find one to buy.

we got ours from going to a game at Paola stadium...45euros.

i would think you should be able to get one from the big eurosport shop in birkirkara too.

Thanks Toon, I haven't been able to get to a match - yet. But I deffo will after I get back!
It's particularly the red/black/white quartered one I want.

with the maltese cross on it - yep thats the one we got

CHOC007 wrote:

Hey MikeInPoulton;
Wigan St Pats hey! Andy Gregory played out there back in his junior days. He's out on Malta regularly enough. One of the greats!

Anthony

Hey Anthony

good knowledge my friend.....AG was indeed one of the many Wigan greats.  Wigan were a brilliant team in the 80's (unbeatable at times) and I have had many a happy time at the old Central Park watching them trounce all-and-sundry.

Good luck with your 'group' and the rugby.

Cheers

Mike

We had Lancashire BARLA out here two years ago, many Wiganers in that side.

We have a half Maltese-half Wiganese in our national rugby league squad also.

It's a great family, the rugby league family!   :)