Arriving in Malta this time next week...!

Hi all,

Just wanted to post here and introduce myself and deluge you with questions, but as it's my first post I hope you'll all be nice :)

About Me: I'm 23, on a graduate training scheme with my company who are sending me for a 3 month placement to Malta. I'm extremely fortunate as they've arranged a flat for me in St Julian's Bay, and got me some wheels for getting to and from work, so hopefully when I arrive next week it should be *fairly* seamless!

I'm in Malta till Easter, and would really value your advice as I prepare to leave. I'm ever so excited, and almost certain I'll overlook something really obvious so I guess my first question is - what did you wish you'd known before you departed for Malta?

For me right now, my biggest concern is what to do with my time during the hours I'm not at work(!). I'm looking forward to seeing all the sites and really exploring the area, but just me on my tod could get a little lonely after a while. I've found the facebook group for 246 events and will try to go along to that, but are there any other informal meets? How did you go about making friends on the island? Anyone living in the St Julians/Paceville area care to give any advice for what to do and where to go? My hobbies are fairly nondescript - swimming, reading, cinema, going out, shopping... that said I'm more than happy to try something new if you have any tips about good classes to join, or perhaps even *gulp* a very casual running club (that don't mind me gasping away behind them...).

I also have many more practical 'boring' questions, e.g. about mobile phone service (looking for a local sim card with data plan to use in my unlocked mobile), but I figure I'll work this out as I go - any advice you have gratefully received though!

Look forward to hearing back from you all,

Many thanks,
Carrie x

Welcome to the forum Carrie ;)

Thank you for your introduction. I hope that other members will bring their contributions soon!

Regards :)

Hi Carrie, welcome to the forum and to Malta next week.  I hope to be back in February and would love to catch up with you.  I too want to join a running club and someone mentioned there was in Bikikara which is about 10-15 mins from where you will be staying. 

Will you have a car?  As you are going to be based in St Julians the cinema/restaurants/bars/shopping/beach are right on your doorstep but a car would be handy for exploring the island.

I have a pay as you go mobile with Go for when Im in Malta, Im not sure what the minimum length contract you are required to have so that may be your best bet given you are only in Malta for 3 months. 

I can recommend the 246 events every Friday, you will definitely meet some nice and interesting people through that.

Good luck :)

Hi Suzanna,

Thanks for the welcome. I will have a car, so looking forward to venturing further afield at the weekends - my guide book is bursting with highlighter and bookmarks! Anything I should be aware of when driving in Malta, apart from be ready for anything?

I think I will get a PAYG sim card, I think the two main networks are either GO or Vodafone? Will work out who offers the best tariff when I get there.

Pleased to hear the 246 events are fun, will definitely make an effort to attend once I've settled in :)

Now for the packing...argh!!

Carrie x

Hi and welcome Carrie,

You might want to consider a GPS for driving here - yes, it's a small island but when you are new here it can be VERY confusing.

I have PAYG through Go and have no complaints - only voice though no data, but I believe they have a PAYG data plan too.

There are free WiFi spots around the island that you might be able to take advantage of with a laptop too.

If you're only going to be here until Easter you won't hit the really hot time - it's about 11C today, it won't get much colder than that but it can feel chilly in an apartment at night and heating can be expensive...so you might want to bring some warm clothes (you'll find them expensive to buy here).

Tim

Hi Carrie......ummm the packing....def the worst bit...Id wait until an hour before you leave if I were you!!!   

I absolutely love driving in Malta!! its crazy and there arent really any rules ....watch out for the potholes though!  and the speed cameras... the fine is 30 euros so compared to the UK its cheaper and you dont get points on your licence :) 

My UK vodafone mobile has better reception in my house than the Malta GO one but Im in a built up area with thick walls as its an old house so I think thats the problem.  Just see who offering the best deal especially as you will probably want to text your friends/family back in the UK

Tim is right, it is a 'cold' time of the year...I found it quite damp when I was over last February but hopefully your flat will have good heating and guess your employer paying all bills!  ...
Am sure the sun will be out most days and its definitely way better than UK weather!

....enjoy...

I guess the driving here you aither love it or hate it - we're definitely on the hate it side! We have to do a lot of it, every day commute, school run etc it gets old very quickly in that case imo. Let's just agree to disagree on that one Suzanne!

Tim

It reminds me of dodgems at the fairground!!!!

I'm with Suzanna, I love the driving here...  just be sure your insurance is paid up, you may need it.
As for what I wish I would have known before I moved here...   The only thing I can think of is How damp the air is inside these brick buildings and I would have had a ordered a heater to the house before i arrived...   

Oh my prepaid phone is vodaphone...   works great here and I only run through about 20 Euro per month.

That's it..  :)  Welcome to malta

Driving - well it takes all sorts I suppose, but maybe when you've been here a year and dealt with it 4 times a day and lost your no claims (which we haven't...yet, but the bloke who hit us has!) you might see it differently! On the hand, maybe not - I suppose some people might enjoy the challenge of having to dodge all the dog pooh too - just not me!

Heaters - apparently a dehumidifier is actually more helpful than a heater. The gas heaters themselves generate a lot of moisture apparently, so either a dehumidifier on it's own or in conjunction with a gas heater is the way to go. Our friends who use them tell us they get through a gas canister about every 4-5 days so it can get pretty expensive at €15 a pop (I think).

Tim

More on driving for Carrie and others new to the island to be aware of. Apart from other drivers generally poor driving habits and potholes, the other thing to contend with is that the roads can be very slick either when wet or when very dry (sandy/dusty), so prudence suggests you should drive with extra vigilence on those occasions....of course, not everyone is prudent as exemplified today:

timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20110105/local/north-bound-regional-road-closed-after-accident-on-bridge

I'll shut up about driving now!

Tim

2.5 hour traffic jam.....   NICE!!!!!!!   Tim is right though, be careful...  adding to his statements DO NOT buy or rent a scooter unless you are suicidal...

Thanks for the heads up on the driving - I wasn't thinking of bringing my satnav, but on your advice I think I might load some European maps onto it and bring it, especially as my sense of direction isn't the best!

I'll drive defensively as best I can, but I've seen Maltese roads at rush hour, and they're nose to tail with some pretty aggressive maneuvers! I'm hoping that most will see the tell-tale sign of a hire car and be understanding, but I'm not counting on it. I'm sure once I'm in the swing I'll learn to enjoy it like Suzanna and me3512.

I've also heard the damp can get to you, I'm trying to pack so I don't go over the baggage allowance, but will be sure to include some favourite jumpers for layering in there. I think I'm getting a place that's normally a holiday let, so really hope that heating facilities are available...!

Thanks for all of your advice, I hope I get the chance to meet you all soon.

Best wishes,
Carrie x

Satnav... I had fun with mine today....   I run a garmin 1350 with the latest updates to the maps ( last weeks ) ...

I chose "shortest route" well the shortest route took me through every backwoods road I could find, I even had to use 4 wheel drive... of course I did it because it was fun and completely unnecessary, but thats besides the point...   This seems to be normal with the garmins, if you set it up for economic route you will have less trouble.

Hi Carrie, how exciting :) welcome to the forum and good luck with the placement.

If you have any questions, check out my blog (shameless plug but I do it for this exact reason- to help out!) there is lots of useful information including the boring bits like mobile connection. And the more fun bits like sights, beaches, and bars :)

joeandharryabroad.wordpress.com/

would be great to get in touch- I've been here six months and dont know many people on the island yet! Good luck again x

"I've been here six months and dont know many people on the island yet! Good luck again x"

Come out tomorrow night, some of us are getting together for a couple of drinks. See the other thread: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=56629

How do I get a password to the parts of your blog that are locked?

Tim

Tim, thanks for the heads up about tomorrow, will try to make it down there to meet you all.

Iamharibo - I have to confess to taking a peek at your blog a month or so ago when I found out I was coming to Malta... it's amazing what you've done and I'd love to meet up some time. I can't remember where you're based but I'm in St Julians, so let me know when you're next in the neighbourhood. Maybe see you at the expat drinks?

Carrie x