SAO PAULO help finding stuff

Hi

A bit of a trivial post, but I'm wondering if anyone knows where in Sao Paulo I can purchase:

1) a nice wooden chess set
2) good whole bean coffee

I am currently staying in the east zone, but sometimes go to the south zone.

Thanks in advance.

Pete

Pete,

You can get good whole-bean coffee in any upscale supermarket.   For some reason it's almost universally branded "Espresso", so you may have walked right by it, but it's not an especially dark roast, and responds well to normal preparation.   It's sold in 2 kg sacks.  National brands include Três Corações and Melitta; there are also a few local brands in every region.  Três Corações also markets a deluxe specialty  "Reserva da Família" line under its Santa Clara brand in 250g packages.  The whole bean versions are also in supermarkets and gourmet shops, but harder to find.

Thanks Abthree. In Canada, almost every little town has a local roaster  making for fun and interesting  comparisons. I haven't noticed (neither seen nor smelled) any local roasters. Do they exist all around SP?

I have yet to see any, but I try never to say "never" in Brazil.  :lol:

If you find any, please let us know!

Wooden Chest....

There are a bunch of Antique shops by the West Side of the City, on Santa Cecilia. Get off the red line by Praca Marechal Deodoro, and along the exit door, by  westbound automotive and bus traffic, you will spot a few holes in the wall.   

Then there's the option to a day trip to Embu, a place for Arts and Crafts.

There's the option of purchasing new, however, I am not so keen on the new stuff.  Most of the plank substrates are made of compressed sawdust these days.  Lots of formica.

If you venture on that road, there are a couple destinations that are meant for furniture scavengers.....

1. Pinheiros, along the Fradique Coutinho Subway stop at the Yellow Line and Rua Teodoro Sampaio. It used to be a  good locale to spot quality stuff.  Ever since the Arabs took over the trade, the quality of showcased wares went south.  No bias against Arabs, but most of them cousins purchase in bulk containers, so good changes they are taking shipments from China.  Which is hilarious if you think of Brazil being a land of quality lumber.   

2.Take your day trip to Sao Bernardo do Campo, right outside Sao Paulo. Once known as Brazil's Furniture Capital.  Again, the Arabs drove the Italians out of the business, buying them up, and taking bulk shipments by container.   

3.There is a third option, though......   Scower the daylies for "familia americana mudando".  If there is anyone moving back, you can score the itens you seek , and get a good deal in it.   

I definitively would cover the Antique Shops under the Elevated Road nearby Praca Marechal Deodoro, as previously instructed. 

Do not buy any of these itens onj large retailers that cater to the working man.  Casas Bahia, Lojas CEM.  Their stuff is of cheap quality.

You can also look into OLX.com, mercadolivre.com.br ( The Brazilian Ebay ), to see if you can score. 

By any means, do not get it shipped to you.  Make sure you go to the vendor and see the merchandise before paying for it.

Almost forgot....

Go to your newstand and ask them for the tabloid Primeira Mao. Lots of deals there.