COVID-19 and expatriation in Vietnam

Hello everybody,

The COVID-19 crisis inevitably impacts Vietnam, between closed airports or periods of containment in some cities or even the entire country .
We would like to hear from you during this unusual period, to find out what the consequences of this pandemic are on your expatriation or expatriation project in Vietnam.

Does the current crisis call into question your long-term expatriation project?
If you are already settled in Vietnam, do you plan to return to your home country?

How are you living through such an uncertain period, especially if you are far from your loved ones?

Have any of you ended your expatriation in Vietnam unexpectedly?

Paradoxically, has this crisis brought you closer to some people?

What are your plans for the future?

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Hope you are doing well.

Loïc.

I am fine,
Wait and see is the better solution now!!

I had been planning to go back to live in the US in the fall, at least for some months, and that hasn't changed, but my semi-annual trip back for checkup, teeth cleaning, etc, was trashed because of the coronavirus and so now I will stay in Vietnam uninterrupted until leisure traveling resumes or my visa expires in the fall.  If the virus is still an issue in the US in the fall, I may try to stay here longer, as I am in the at-risk group and so far it seem way safer here than in the US.  I miss chocolate malts, though -- all I have been able to find in Saigon so far are shakes, which are not at all the same thing.

paulmsn wrote:

I had been planning to go back to live in the US in the fall, at least for some months, and that hasn't changed, but my semi-annual trip back for checkup, teeth cleaning, etc, was trashed because of the coronavirus and so now I will stay in Vietnam uninterrupted until leisure traveling resumes or my visa expires in the fall.  If the virus is still an issue in the US in the fall, I may try to stay here longer, as I am in the at-risk group and so far it seem way safer here than in the US.  I miss chocolate malts, though -- all I have been able to find in Saigon so far are shakes, which are not at all the same thing.

If your only concern is chocolate malts I guess you have nothing to worry about.

I'm beginning to understand the dynamics on this forum.

Thought it was bad losing our studio apt. in HCMC when the neighbors complained to the police about a foreigner in the neighborhood. Now in a large 2 bdr In Bien Hoa with a garden and space to walk in larger circles. Must wait it out, no travel. Better than dying in a hospital hallway waiting on health care! Safer here than in the U.S.A. How will they do contact tracing on 500,000 people with no testing available? Good luck all!

I'm a Viet Nam War veteran who moved here from the broken-beyond-repair USA 3 years ago & I'm never going back. I live in a Vietnamese neighborhood & am well-integrated into Vietnamese society. My chief concern is what will happen when my visa expires. W/ respect to the pandemic Viet Nam is one of the safest countries to be in right now; 255 cases, 145 recoveries &... NO DEATHS! So, in short... I'm not going anywhere. I self-quarantine & practice all the safety precautions only going out about once a week to replenish food supplies. Looking forward to when things return to normal.

Hello Loic
The Virus has definitely postponed any plans to leave Tasmania at this point in time.  We'll wait and see how this plays out.
But… We do like South Vietnam. It was very easy to fly with Jetstar and a return ticket from Launceston Tasmania to Saigon via Melbourne could be purchased for between AU $500-600. 
I was hoping to be somewhat nomadic and going back and forth with a dream of buying a small live-aboard boat and putt-ing up and around the Mekong. Don't even know if that would be possible/allowed.
Sorry I haven't responded sooner, but the Virus has delayed our intentions.
Harry
Tasmania

Harry Tams wrote:

Hello Loic
The Virus has definitely postponed any plans to leave Tasmania at this point in time.  We'll wait and see how this plays out.
But… We do like South Vietnam. It was very easy to fly with Jetstar and a return ticket from Launceston Tasmania to Saigon via Melbourne could be purchased for between AU $500-600. 
I was hoping to be somewhat nomadic and going back and forth with a dream of buying a small live-aboard boat and putt-ing up and around the Mekong. Don't even know if that would be possible/allowed.
Sorry I haven't responded sooner, but the Virus has delayed our intentions.
Harry
Tasmania

Don't want to put a damper on things, but you can pretty much forget owning a boat. Its as complicated as hell to do legally.

I'm not in VN now, but had been thinking of coming back, a plan which, like so many people's, is now on hold until such things as borders, flights and jobs open up.

More or less the same experience.
I only miss my swims and replaced them with an indoor treadmill.
I'll stay here till June when my visa expires, and if I cannot get out, I try to renew it.
And hopefully come back in September.
I was teaching English pro bona, and the school is closed.
I really miss my classes. I really was enjoyed them and found them very stimutlating.
Otherwise, I'm fine living with a lovely Vietnamese that is an excellent cook.
My only complaints, she is good and I get fat.
Cheers.
Martin
Norway.

you should check out the coffee coconut smoothie. it's Cafe Cong's special drink, hard to find done properly elsewhere (but a very few places manage)

anyway it's a ca phe sua da with a big dollop of frozen shaved coconut in it.

not really a chocolate malted.. but it's goooood

I was planning on returning to Canada in June just bc I have many loose ends there which I wanted to deal with.. visit a few months then return...

first snag was govt announcement that 3 month tourist visas are no more... that would impact me badly... BUT I will be 55 in a few more months so I figured I'd go Canada.. do my stuff.. stay a little longer than planned, then just pivot to living in Cambodia where over 55 foriengners can easily get long term visa (retirement visa basically)

anyway, covid19 shows up so I figured I'm going Canada a little earlier than planned... bought air ticket for March 30. I bought this around March 5th (wanted to squeeze my last visa to the last drop) visa set to expire march 30, but I got a flight home that day so I'm good, right?

nope. flight cancelled. oops. I get a new flight for April 15 out of HCMC (IM living in Nha Trang) visa overstay are forgiven. I'm not worried.

7 days before I'm set to leave cops come to my house. I got problems. basically bc I spent two days here illegally no visa before the grace period started April first they need me to go to the immigration office. also the cop (not very good at English) keeps telling me I'm not leaving even when I show him my ticket.

immigration office is technically closed until 15 April but fortunately one guy is there, speaks English, and is able to help. tells me all persons wishing to enter HCMC city limits must do 14 day quarantine. so I can't make my flight.

cancel that one too.

immigration office fully opens 100% operational on the 15th and I'll be better able to figure out my options then but frankly I'm gonna try and get the extension and just stay put until air traffic and public safety returns to normal.

I'm actually ok with that. I love Vietnam and wish I never had to leave. lol

Hello, everybody!
Currently, in Vietnam COVID-19 is under control compared to the other infected countries. During this period April 1st to till now, I haven't face any problems. I have been here comfortable and one more thing I am on a business visa and it is going to expire on 29th April and I want to extend the visa for another three months. I enquired through the visa provider agency but their price 250 USD to 300 USD. At the moment, I do not afford to get a visa with that price. I heard that we do the visa extension directly by the immigration office in Hanoi, Da Nang and HCMC. Is there anyone who did already visa extension process, kindly provide information about a visa extension process and fee.

Thank you in advance.

Stay safe and live safe!

I am settled down in Vietnam, which is now consider as my home, and I am soon starting on my 26th year here. In respect of the virus situation, then I have stay in my home since TET with a very few exceptions - medical checkup in Saigon, and I intend to stay like that until it is safe to continue our old life style.

Hi Vietnam,

I moved to Thailand (teaching Job) since January for survive but stuck here too and schools closed (Semestery period) and later on opening postponed later periods following  July. Waiting the new semestry..However all airline companies, all airports closed, borders closed. It seems the virus issue will continue in this part of the world too. Fraankly, When the virus things ends and following,my prediction will be: if everything and all goes well planning to return back to Hanoi in December before xristmas 2021.

That is allright now...Who knows...

Missed Vietnam

@tommylacroix It seems like a nightmare you are going through with immigration and flights. Hope things work out well with you.
I am Canadian also. Live in Canada but visited Vietnam in the summer, Hoi An. I am retired. Would love to go and visit again

Loïc wrote:

Not yet.

My current business visa is good through August of this year, and I expect by that time there will be a better ability to gain a long-range view of the unfolding situation here.

I'm not able to do ANY exploring of music business opportunities while the national quarantine remains enforced, so I would like the ability to move about the country again on short trips.

Also, even though we all hope for the virus to abate soon and through the summer, the question remains as to whether or not it will have a resurgence in the Fall.

Most difficult is the inability of having my domestic help come to my apartment during "social separation".

It's starting to look as if that might not be remedied until after May 1st.

Waiting and seeing...

Loïc wrote:

If you are already settled in Vietnam, do you plan to return to your home country?

Maybe within a year for a visit and recharge with the VA healthcare system.

I'll miss some major family milestones if I don't.

Loïc wrote:

How are you living through such an uncertain period, especially if you are far from your loved ones?

Our family has a private group on Facebook where we keep in touch with things we would never share on our public profiles.

Facebook Messenger has turned out to be the most-often used means of keeping in touch quickly, for text messages, private photo sharing and phone calls.

When both ends of the conversation have a good WiFi signal, the phone connection is great.

Sometimes the video feature functions well too.

Google Talk, Skype, WhatsApp and Instagram are also very useful.

Loïc wrote:

Paradoxically, has this crisis brought you closer to some people?

My neighbors in my building are wonderful, so I'm not totally isolated.

I had been thinking about moving along to explore other places, but the virus crisis convinced me it was better to stay here a while longer.

Not Entirely, but I was set on looking for further opportunities within the country.

Being Spanish, at this moment Vietnam is way safer than anywhere else in Europe.

Thankfully all family members are safe, and healthy so far back in my home country. We regularly keep in touch through WhatsApp, Skype and any other means of virtual communication.

What are your plans for the future?

It's quite uncertain right now as to what will be the new normal, let alone plan for the near future, as without 'herd' immunity, intermittent lock-downs, outbreaks plus a very heavy global crisis; The situation will not change anywhere else in the world for the next 12 to 18 months. And even if we had a vaccine, developing countries will take a much longer time to immunize the population.

Therefore, any and all future plans are postponed for quite a while unfortunately.

I'm doing ok here in DaNang.  Beaches are closed though. Masks are required. I noticed they refused me going inside the bank though.

I'm from Los Angeles and they seem to be getting hit hard. I'll stay right here. And yes, today I did get me stimulus deposit. $1200

Woo hoo!

tommylacroix wrote:

you should check out the coffee coconut smoothie. it's Cafe Cong's special drink, hard to find done properly elsewhere (but a very few places manage)

anyway it's a ca phe sua da with a big dollop of frozen shaved coconut in it.

not really a chocolate malted.. but it's goooood

Unfortunately I don't like coffee at all, so it wouldn't appeal to me.  MyLife Coffee has a decent chocolate drink, but again, nothing like a malt.  Once the virus restrictions ease up, maybe I'll systematically examine the menus of every ice cream place in the city in hopes of finding one that makes malts.

vietnamswag wrote:

I'm doing ok here in DaNang.  Beaches are closed though. Masks are required. I noticed they refused me going inside the bank though.

I'm from Los Angeles and they seem to be getting hit hard. I'll stay right here. And yes, today I did get me stimulus deposit. $1200

Woo hoo!

I expected to get mine Monday, but it still hasn't shown up.  I've already spent most of the money on charities, since I don't really need it -- my net worth goes up when I don't travel.

They wouldn't let you in the bank?  I've been to two banks here in Saigon since the restrictions and all they did was take my temperature.  My friend told me that they aren't allowing foreigners into her neighborhood, though.  That is a little worrying.

Yes. They saw a few foreigners approaching and closed the doors. This was a day or 2 after quarantine.
VP Bank. We all had masks on.

I'd rather be here than in Los Angeles. The stories my family are telling me. Long lines for groceries and Pharma stores. Rationing of eggs and certain household goods. So, a bank closing its doors is the least of my problems. I forgive them.

Nothing has changed for me. I still living in Nha Trang and work remotely with IT-developers from Russia. I hope that the Vietnamese government will continue to keep the possibility to stay in this beautiful country full of amazing people no matter of what.

Good afternoon,

I feel very lucky being in VN during this rough period. It handled the situation effectively and very fast!
However, as I work at Public Schools, I haven't worked for 3 months, I haven't been paid for 3 months and I live on my savings which will run out by June I guess. My landlord gave me a 30% discount on the rent this month, big relief.
Fortunately I have a TRC valid until August 2021, so no problem there.
My plans for the summer got cancelled though. Flights are cancelled, but with no income I would have to alter my plans anyway. Plus nobody knows when flights are going to go back to normal.
To tell you the truth I would love to go back to my country (Greece), as I don't particularly like life here. It's no time for plans though...we just wait and see.
The good part of this “adventure “ is that I enjoy certain pleasures of life that I wasn't able to before. Waking up late, spending more time with my husband and my dog, working out, reading lots of interesting books, virtually visiting museums and archeological sites, having a party for 2 once a week and dance! And yes, communication has changed! Zoom group videos are a great way to share our experiences and support each other. My parents were amazed when we celebrated my niece's 18th birthday on a group video call, they didn't know it was possible! And now everyone is on the same page needing to communicate and not only me “the crazy one that decided to move half the way around the world”!
Be patient my friends, stay safe, stay at home, take good care of yourselves. This too shall pass.

paulmsn wrote:

My friend told me that they aren't allowing foreigners into her neighborhood, though.  That is a little worrying.

When the lockdown began, my niece's housemate closed his hair salon in Saigon and drove to Bà Rịa to visit his girlfriend with the intention of staying for some part of the isolation.

Eighteen minutes after he parked his motorbike and carried his duffel bag into the girlfriend's house, there was a knock on the door.  Two uniformed police asked to see "the foreigner."  The girlfriend said there wasn't any foreigner in the house.  The police replied that they received a report from the neighbours that a foreigner just arrived at her location, so please present him to the police immediately.

"The foreigner" came out.  He's tall, slim, light skin (a typical consumer of skin whitening lotion), and had a trendy wavy hairstyle.  Upon being asked, he showed his ID:  a Vietnamese national through and through.

The police expressed their regret for the neighbours' mistake but asked him to return to Saigon anyway.

paulmsn wrote:
vietnamswag wrote:

Woo hoo!

I expected to get mine Monday, but it still hasn't shown up.  I've already spent most of the money on charities, since I don't really need it -- my net worth goes up when I don't travel.

They wouldn't let you in the bank?  I've been to two banks here in Saigon since the restrictions and all they did was take my temperature.  My friend told me that they aren't allowing foreigners into her neighborhood, though.  That is a little worrying.

I am sure many of those struggling to survive will take great heart from your need to advertise that you don't need money and are giving it away. I am sure they will be happy also that your wealth is going up.
And people wonder why animosity is growing against foreigners . .. .

Well I left Vietnam to get documents for marriage after wedding
My girlfriend is also now 4 months pregnant
My plan was stay about 1.5 2 months away work a little get the documents and come back
When arrived in west very quickly things turned very wrong its was sure very bad timing
But I did not release it fast enough
I decided to get the online visa a leave
I got it and the about day or 2 later received news it's not going to be valid any more
Contacted the Vietnam embassy and they said its no problem I can get visa at the embassy
Went there and got stamp
But... They already then said we don't know what's going on now any time and day things can change
Was no flight imidiatly
A I had to wait 4 days to 20 March in order to fly with 3 month visa
1 day after embassy started making problems
And day before the flight they said I have to return my passport I could not come a said next week I dident think much of it
And planed to fly
They knew when I fly
30 min before going to the airport
They sent message that if I'm not going to bring it back I'll be on black list a never be able to come to Vietnam
I did not fly
Luckily I received refund for my ticket
But now feel terrible
Not knowing when will I be able to be back again. Only wishing that Vietnam allows forigners back again soon in May
Any body have idea when it will be possible?
Because basically Vietnam stopped issue visas till tomorrow?
Or will they extend it?

Moon6966 wrote:

My plan was stay about 1.5 2 months away work a little get the documents and come back
When arrived in west very quickly things turned very wrong its was sure very bad timing
I got it and the about day or 2 later received news it's not going to be valid any more
Contacted the Vietnam embassy and they said its no problem I can get visa at the embassy
Went there and got stamp
But... They already then said we don't know what's going on now any time and day things can change
Was no flight imidiatly
And day before the flight they said I have to return my passport I could not come a said next week I dident think much of it
And planed to fly
They knew when I fly
They sent message that if I'm not going to bring it back I'll be on black list a never be able to come to Vietnam
I did not fly
But now feel terrible
Not knowing when will I be able to be back again. Only wishing that Vietnam allows forigners back again soon in May
Or will they extend it?

Feel for you, many are in difficult situations now. There should be an announcement this evening re the lockdown but I doubt they will be opening the borders until the end of the month at the very least but who knows ?
Good Luck Sir.

Moon6966 wrote:

Went there and got stamp
Was no flight imidiatly
And planed to fly
They knew when I fly
I did not fly
But now feel terrible
Or will they extend it?

Unfortunately no one knows when international flights are going to fly again. For now only domestic flights take place but very few. The only intl flights that are allowed are those of special purposes, bringing back Vietnamese from abroad.
Keep in mind that the experts say it will take months for things to go back to normal. I'm sorry about your situation but you'll just have to wait.

Yanna Mizeraki wrote:

Unfortunately no one knows when international flights are going to fly again. For now only domestic flights take place but very few. The only intl flights that are allowed are those of special purposes, bringing back Vietnamese from abroad.

That's not true, according to current travel information on the U.S. Embassy website.

It appears 4 different airlines are still flying internationally out of Vietnam:

vn. usembassy. gov/airline-departure-information/

RE: Malted Milk Shakes. Purchase Nestle Carnation Malted Milk at Amazon. Make your own.

The world in not only US & JAPAN!!

kallouche wrote:

The world in not only US & JAPAN!!

If that's a reply to my post about information on the US Embassy website, the information applies to all nationalities.

None of those flights go directly to other countries, but if you read the information given on the embassy website, it's clear that they are mentioning those Airlines because they can be the first leg in a trip getting out of Vietnam.

Known as "connecting flights".

Flying one of those Airlines may very well put you in the position to return to France, and I hope that works out for you, since you seem so animated about it.

Thank you, for this very useful info.
I am very good here in Vietnam.

Anyone who is not infected can leave VN anytime provided their destination country will accept them. Currently there are no international flights coming into VN except for special circumstances.

I had been planning on moving back to the US due to an issue with my job situation while in HCMC. I was working at one university full time since 2017, but another university (I was at part-time) offered me a higher full-time contract for 2019-2020. I trusted them, since I worked with them for the previous few years. So I quit my other full-time university job.

The full-time contract never materialized and I was paid only hourly. Because of this, I decided it might be wise for me to return to the California since I was receiving interest to join a major university part-time and other colleges, too. It was overall much more money than I was making in HCMC and I didn't have to worry about my own visa issues.

I returned back to California in December of 2019 with intention to visit my Vietnamese wife every two months, with the first visit during Tet, until my wife was able to get her green card through me.

When I went to visit my wife on January 24, the coronavirus was already a threat and Vietnam was preparing to close flights. Vietnam had even briefly closed flights to Taipei (which I fly through to get to Vietnam). Fortunately, flight were reopened and I was able to get home.

My next scheduled trip was supposed to be April 14 for a two weeks. But knowing the pandemic was getting worse, I moved my trip up to April 1. By the second week of March, I was getting nervous and I again moved up my trip to March 20. But by March 17, I was too late. Vietnam stopped issuing visas even for family members of locals.

I have not seen my wife in person since February 4. We do video chat  on WhatsApp and Viber twice a day with video. But obviously it is stressful for both of us since we don't know when we will be able to see each other again. This was going to be our year to start a family. In fact, my wife was in early pregnancy, but unfortunately, the pregnancy didn't hold. Maybe its fate's way of intervening.

At minimum, I am happy that I am working in California because I send my wife money as she stays with her sister in the city. The schools in California went completely online so my university teaching continues and I have classes scheduled for the next term already. Had I stayed in Vietnam, since I didn't have a full-time contract, I would not be making any money at all during this time. All schools have been closed since Tet. I have colleagues not making anything right now.

Either way we miss each other and I ask myself, "When will we get to be together again?" Also we don't know much longer her green card will take due to the coronavirus. Prior to the pandemic, the expected wait was 11 to 14 months. Who knows how much longer it will take?

Royvj1982 wrote:

Prior to the pandemic, the expected wait was 11 to 14 months. Who knows how much longer it will take?

Even if all the other paperwork moves at regular speed (i.e. snail slow  :mad: ) right now there are no interviews being conducted at the HCMC Consulate.  You have probably already seen this page:  https://vn.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/  The page does not give even a hint about when they will reopen.  Normally those who miss their interview appointments are out of luck, but now there is a link for people who had appointments that were cancelled.

Royvj1982 wrote:

Also we don't know much longer her green card will take due to the coronavirus. Prior to the pandemic, the expected wait was 11 to 14 months. Who knows how much longer it will take?

I'm at NVC stage on my wife's application right now.  I started in July 2019.  Had the virus not happened I'd likely be getting her visa in July this year as NVC to visa is about three months normally.  I'm planning (hoping) for a three month delay due to the time lost in scheduling interviews.  NVC is still working so all of those approved applications are piling up in addition to all of the applications that already had been approved and interviews scheduled will be backing up.  I do think that once they get going again it should be pretty much a 1:1 ratio on days the consulate is closed to days added to the timeline.  They can only do interviews so many per day and all appointments are always full so it will just push down the line the amount of time they are closed.

Hello everyone,

I had to remove some posts because they were off-topics and had nothing to do on this thread.

Please, everything is hard for everyone right now, so keep calm and be respectful with each other.

Thank you very much.

Loïc