Moving from Thailand to Vietnam

Hi
I am presently living in Prassat Issan Thailand.
My girlfriend/wife is Vietnamese and I am now wishing  to spend my retirement years in Vietnam.
(They say the quality of life is better  i than Thailand
I have been looking at Hoi an as a place to live.
Anybody have any comments.?
My biggest problem is getting my 5 Dogs and personal possessions  to Vietnam.
I have contacted a shipping agent in Bangkok who would fly the dogs  from Bangkok to Hanoi then on to Da nang
I'm already 5 hours drive from Bangkok. The poor dogs would be their cages for to long.
Plus the cost is unbelievable.
My possessions and myself have to go to HCM to clear customs?
To me this seems a long way wrong plus very expensive.
As I live very close to the Laos border its only a 10 hour  drive overland to Hoi an
Can I not go by road and do immigration and customs at the border crossing.?
I am looking for a overland removal company that can take my dogs and personal possessions (10 suitcases) to Hoi an.
In addition we are looking for a long term  house to rent max 400$ a month.
Can any body help or advise us.
Thank you for reading this
Roy and Nau

Hi Moondancer,

I care about the dogs. yep, that will be possible the biggest challenge. There might be some light at the end the tunnel.
A dog, you not need to fly in to Vietnam, you can in theory even walk them from Cambodia over the border.
How about a few slow trips by bus?

First arrive in Vietnam by air, make your Visa and then travel by land with the dogs? Take 1 or 2 and after them placing here, do the next trip? OR Find some Thai, who are making the trip to Cambodia and you pick up the dogs from there?

Is all not convenient, but maybe possible. I also have 4 dogs (just lost a couple of weeks, was  a pack of 5).

For sure, it will be a long and big operation to get them such a long way.

Good luck
l3ully

Many thanks for your advise.
I thought you must be able to take  by road
I live near Chong Chom border crossing. On the Thai side there is a veterinary office for animals coming from Cambodia
Roy

Moondancer wrote:

Many thanks for your advise.
I thought you must be able to take  by road
I live near Chong Chom border crossing. On the Thai side there is a veterinary office for animals coming from Cambodia
Roy

Just try there to find the rules for the other direction. Life stock is crossing borders to thousands. If you can't, Thais can for sure. Let them make the last hop to get them to Cambodia. You sure will someone who will help you.

In Cambodia you can travel quite easy with them, as there loads of older Buses going carrying everything from snakes to whole cows. In Vietnam is almost the same. Just the Buses might not be tourist class, but more for locals

In choosing a removal company there are some good and some not so good.
From a recent bad experience with a company - ************************ - I would strongly recommend you use some other company. Bad packing, damaged goods, lost parcels, missing / stolen items, evasion of responsibility and accusations of blaming the client are forefront of their so called professional well experienced service. They are not the cheapest , but they are a long way from the best - choose another.

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Please do not mention names of agencies or people here

I brought my dog to Ho Chi Minh via Bavet boarder and i hired a private taxi together with my dog from Phnom Penh. If you want i can give you a contact person. He can arrange the car for you from Phnom Penh all the way to Ho Chi Minh plus your dogs custom clearence. I spent USD210 for all in. But i have only a dog.

Jen

Many thanks
Thank you for your help
Yes please to phone Number
I am now down to 3 dogs
1 ran away 1 knocked down by car
Thanks again
Roy and Nau

XIN CHAO EVERY BODY
Safety arrived in Hoi an
Much to tell
Will post my encounters soon