Relocating from HCMC from China

Hi there,
Will be moving soon from China to Vietnam. Have been told that moving our house contents overland rather than shipping them would work out cheaper. Can anyone comment on this or offer the name of a reputable moving company.
Thanks!

I have always found Crown Relocations honest and reliable. Their China page is at: < www.crownrelo.com/en-us/moving-to-china >.

Be aware that EVERYTHING is liable to import duty. If you have motorcycles you would likely be better off leaving them in CN.

Cars will be very expensive; VN government value assessments rule.

Contact Crown VN < http://web.crownrelo.com/vietnam > with a list of your property and let them suggest what you leave behind.

Both Ha Noi and SaiGon/Ho Chi Minh City have city ports and the use of a container is recommended.

Your question is: sea, rail or road!

watk you might want to check the current laws on importing HHG's into Vietnam. The agent you pick should be able to provide you with a list of required documents. First thing on the list should be a work permit.

Thanks for the replies...quite helpful.

Can anyone elaborate on 'import tax' for me or direct me to a website which clearly explains which items i will be paying tax on and how much tax i will be paying.

Thanks!

watk, there's a new member on the blog that is pretty good at digging up that kind of information. His user name is Nhi, he might be able to help or maybe Annata can. What are you packing and the estimated weight?

Jaitch wrote:

Be aware that EVERYTHING is liable to import duty

Very true, as I have found out - TWICE. Both times, the company where I worked at the time contracted the moving company and took care of all costs. However, I later found out that the costs were enormous due to VN duties. My superiors never complained to me about it, but if I had known beforehand, I could have certainly left many things with my wife's family in China, instead of bringing them here.

The second time - because I still did not know what happened the first time, the situation was repeated. I was with a different company, and WAS informed of the duties afterward. My boss told me the company could have probably saved money by telling me to leave everything in China, and buy all new stuff for me here.

Furthermore, if you go with a moving company that offers a very competitive price (i.e. cheap), don't bother going to a lot of effort to box everything up nice and neat to protect it. The moving company, in an effort to "protect" themselves and you from the VN duties, will intentionally damage and open the boxes, sometimes removing the contents and placing them in bags so they can make the case with VN customs that the items aren't worth anything. This also happened on both of my moves. The first time, I thought it was just a bad moving company, until it happened again the second time with a different company. Luckily for me, both times I had very little lost or broken - small items certainly not worth complaining about.

Bottom line - when moving to VN, don't bring ANYTHING with you that is not absolutely necessary, especially if YOU will be responsible for paying the duty.

Budman1 wrote:

... His user name is Nhi, he might be able to help or maybe Annata can. ...

Nhi uses female toilets, Budman1!

watk wrote:

Can anyone elaborate on 'import tax' for me or direct me to a website which clearly explains which items i will be paying tax on and how much tax i will be paying.

Thanks!

http://www.customs.gov.vn/english/default.aspx

VN Customs makes life easy - assume 100% duty. Doesn't matter if it's Great-great-great-grandmothers heirloom or you bought it last week, 100% looks great, for them, for a starting point.

If you hire an agent the formula is: Duty saved by Agent = Agent's fees.

Notice the common thread ... don't bring the unnecessary. The only things you will get away with are the hand-carried items you fly with.

Contact Crown, they are really the best. Used them for years.

I am not the expert on this area, besides it is a jungle.

In principle, the import of personal goods (tài sản di chuyển) are exempt from import tax, if the person has residency permit and can show the receipts. However, there is limit how much you can bring with you.

Here is the law in Vietnamese.
http://www.mof.gov.vn/portal/page/porta … p_id=10297

There are different rules for Vietnamese returning home and for foreigners.

Car is a different animal. Howie has mentioned about it on a previous thread.

"Nhi uses female toilets, Budman1!"

Opps!!

(moderated: no free ads please)