Close

Moving my personal belongings to Vietnam

hi everybody......I just moved to Saigon on a tourist visa at the moment..... Trying to ship my personal belongings  here, but very difficult  because I don't have a Work Permit.....I am actually a writer, not employed....so not easy........any advice?..... Any "shortcuts......I have sufficient funds for my stay in Vietnam at least 5 years, so don't really need to work

Depends what items and how many there are. If its just a few boxes it's very easy, if it's a house full of furniture, not so easy.

15 moving boxes....no furniture....what do you mean by easy?.....coming from HK

A friend has two boxes freighted up from Australia. When they arrived in Saigon the agent there demanded a further $US100 to freight them 450km to Nha Trang. A rip off.

Another friend frieghted up two containers and had 25% of the contents stolen before delivery.

Expect similar problems, theft is endemic.

When we moved here from the States, we had a total of 135 kg (300 lbs) of free baggage between checked and carry-on.  In addition, many airlines allow passengers to pay for 10 extra checked bags per person = 12 checked bags, one carry-on, and one personal item.  Thus, taking a trip home to get everything you cannot live without would be the safest way to "ship" your belongings IMO.

A great majority of passengers in our flight had their checked baggage in the form of moving boxes.

Could you trying on this service, the fee a bit expensive but much safer, I have done many times transferring personal stuff,  and so far I had no problem
www.worldcourier-express.com

Dear friends,

thank you for the "warning"

Cheers,
Roy

Thank you...... may be my "last hope"..... good idea to transport as extra lugage

Expatriate health insurance in Vietnam

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Vietnam

Moving to Vietnam

Find tips from professionals about moving to Vietnam

Travel insurance in Vietnam

Enjoy stress-free travel to Vietnam