COVID-19 and expatriation in Morocco

Hello everybody,

The COVID-19 crisis inevitably impacts Morocco, between closed airports or periods of containment in some cities or even the entire country .
We would like to hear from you during this unusual period, to find out what the consequences of this pandemic are on your expatriation or expatriation project in Morocco.

Does the current crisis call into question your long-term expatriation project?
If you are already settled in Morocco, do you plan to return to your home country?

How are you living through such an uncertain period, especially if you are far from your loved ones?

Have any of you ended your expatriation in Morocco unexpectedly?

Paradoxically, has this crisis brought you closer to some people?

What are your plans for the future?

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Hope you are doing well.

Loïc.

I was planning on leaving for Israel last week. Turkish Airlines cancelled my flight rescheduled it, cancelled it a second time and gave me a third date of May 3 which they won't confirm now until May 1.
I had to give up a service dog and I also left some belongings in one of the hotels, I have 3 bags now if everything is crammed in there.
I was forced to change hotels and pay a bit more for the hotel due to covid19 closures. I have no friends or family in the states that will help, but also nobody in Israel that I know well, I've been WhatsApping with an Israeli guy who has an AirBnB trying to explore options.
Boredom & depression are the biggest challenges. I go out for short walks (30 min or less) every 3 days on average, the rest of the time I am sitting or laying on the bed inside the hotel room and room service brings meals. Their room phones and card readers do not work, wifi and satellite TV works but there are no more than 3 stations out of 1800 on my TV in English. I google "free movies" and watch and read what I can, also duolingo is a good diversion for studying languages, I am not fluent in French and know almost no Arabic. Paying for food and hotel has had to be in cash, not all the ATMs work. I changed microSIM cards at the airport, top up online and use an old laptop in the room that has to be plugged in to A/C with a conversion plug, not a great system, also it is heavy.
I lost my home in January a week or so before arriving in Casablanca. I am 100% disabled, so this is a huge loss although I expected to pocket no more than $10,000 it was what I was going to use to resettle somewhere either Israel or returning to the US after this trip. Eating no more than 2 meals a day not spending on anything except lodging and laundry, plus 2 doctors earlier this year, I've saved a bit but not nearly the $10,000. I don't know if there will be a $400 fee for overstaying the 90 day visa I think not as long as I do leave as soon as borders open.
The US Consulate will discuss repatriation loans google says the amount is $2000 per person, I've not confirmed that. I also asked about the grant money (up to $1200 not sure if that is per person) they will discuss later today with me.
A couple of people offered to rent to me and others encouraged me to stay in Morocco. I don't want to spend my last dollar committing to stay here when my citizenship is US-Israel and Israel has been the destination. At this point, I'd be happier probably going back to the states anywhere safe and affordable. I lived in Oregon last but in the past when I was working lived in California. I have been disabled since 2006 my only income is SSDI. It is possible to save a few hundred a month living in isolation spending nothing but necessities but it is very difficult.
I have not encountered any sick or dying people, nobody in the 4 hotels, no staff, no acquaintenances nobody says they know anyone with covid19. I hope this information is helpful to others.

Greetings,
I was planning to leave US for Morocco on March 18th we purchased the ticket 4 months in advance. Just so happens I chose the wrong date because my flight was cancelled and now my expat journey has been postponed. My partner and I are separated now by borders so at first I was pretty devastated to be away from him for who knows how long but now I've accepted that everything happens for a reason. I'm stuck in the states but using this time to learn Tamazight, earn more income, and focus on my self development. Life is what we make it! I'm grateful for my health and the fact that I still have a roof over my head despite the last minute changes. God Speed 🙏🏽

Great way of thinking. God bless you

Hi Loïc,

Morocco has been handling the Pandemic with swiftness and precision haven't seen in the world since Napoleon Army sealed their fate in the Battle of Austerlitz........

With our immediate neighbour up north, Spain, in a deep quagmire, the Moroccan governments and its citizens deserve a big applaud for what has been done in the last three months. We still have a month to go; but so far what has been done is truly remarkable.

The fact that agricultural lands are highly protected - making each medium-size city sustainable - and over-population problem doesn't exist in Morocco, price gauging and perishable-item hoarding are simply not happening here. Unlike you know where......

I am a long-time New Yorker. The American's current administration has botched their leadership - if any at all - and New York City has been reduced into a giant morgue. Very sad. Italy and France acted too late and Spain is just lacking discipline and centralised power to curb the pandemic, with disastrous consequences.

If there is a safe place during the current pandemic, Marocco is the answer!

Two more weeks, and “inshaallah” things can gradually back to normal. Gradual is the key word..................

Hi All ,
             The COVID 19 scenario in Morocco is quite similar to any other country , except emergency services general population including expats are requested to be at home.
             The local bodies have given authorisation for one person in the family to procure emergency items and the people handling emergencies are been given suthorisation for travelling to specified destinations.
             Its commendable the way they are managing the situation in terms of supplies , law and order , back up facilities for an outbreak.
             Travelling  is restricted between work place and home.
             Looking into the numbers we pressume the lockdown is going to be further extended.
             Since i am heading a pharmaceutical company , i am part of the emergency and cant think of leaving the country.

Thank you indeed for your endeavor. And may Allah reward you for what you contribute to Morocco during this pandemic

Hi!
I would be on a plane right now from Seattle, WA to Casablanca to move permanently to Rabbat! It has had a huge impact on me regarding not being able to get out of the country and no idea when Morocco or the United States will open up the airports again!  Luckily my items didn't get shipped over there and we could delay everything for a bit while the world recovers from the Covid 19 Virus.  Very sad for the people who get this virus.  We must find a cure and vaccines for the world....
So am waiting and trying to stay healthy!

Lisa