Organize your move to Morocco

Hi all,

we invite you to share your experience about moving to Morocco.

Here is a list of questions which might help the ones preparing their move to Morocco:

What would you bring and what would you leave behind?

Is it a good idea to bring furniture or domestic appliances?

Any foodstuffs that are banned in Morocco?

Is it better to bring a car or to buy one once settled in Morocco?

Any advice for the ones who are moving to Morocco?

Thank you in advance for your participation :)

Hey there,
I moved to Morocco 6 months ago, to Marrakech to be specific.

Well to wrap the last 6 months in a few lines, i was not expecting the heat i faced when i came, it was too much for me to handle, but i adjusted to the fact, since i have at least another 18 months to spend here.
It rained a few days ago, so it is ok now and i heard winter is too cold here.
Furniture wise, no need to move your stuff, since furniture and home appliances are cheap here.A descent apartment will cost you between 8000 to 10000 dirhams (800 to 1000 euros)and there are less expensive ones, depends on what you are looking for and the area you wish to rent in, prices can go down to 6000 dirhams per month.
Personaly, i have a pheobia of driving, so i did not get the chance to see how much cars cost here , but taxis are cheap , not air conditioned though (small taxis cost 6 dirhams for a minimum ride rate). As for drivers, not all of them stick to the timing when you call them , some of them don't even answer anymore.
Most of the shops close between 13 and 15 hrs , thing i did not know, so take the time to have lunch if you end up in a shopping area during those hours.
If you have any specific question i can help with, please do not hesitate.

PS: For arabic speakers, do not think Moroccan arabic is the same, coming from Lebanon and having arabic as one of the languages i speak, i was surprised that i did not understand what Moroccans were telling me, since the dialect is completly different, they do understand me though, when i speak slowly but it's a matter of time , you'll get used to some basic words, shops even sell books to learn Moroccan arabic.

Thanks for these useful tips Armig Yaacoub!:top:

Harmonie.:)