Moving to Morocco with my Italian Girlfriend and have a few questions.

Hello there,

I am Canadian and my girlfriend is Italian. She needs to move to Morocco for three months as a component of her Masters degree. The program is in Meknes, and I am wondering what hurdles we will encounter moving to the city and looking for a flat as an unmarried couple? Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome.

Also, while on the subject of moving: First, does anyone have any ideas about reliable apartment listings sites for Meknes? Second, as a Canadian only planning to spend a maximum of 3 months in the country, will I be ok on a standard tourist entry visa even though I am trying to take a flat somewhere? And last but not least, what should the two of us expect to pay for a comfortable (by no means luxurious) 1 bedroom place in Meknes (My only luxury request would be an AC unit)?

Thanks for your time, and kind regards!

As far as not being married, since you are both foreign you should not have a problem renting. If one of you was Moroccan or Muslim, then you would run into problems. I know that in Casablanca most places do not have AC, but I have never been to Meknes. Here is some info from the US on travel to Morocco, it may be helpful to you: http://travel.state.gov/content/passpor … rocco.html
Good Luck to you both!

Hey, thanks for the information and advice. Much appreciated!

Here is where you can search of rent: www.bikhir.ma
or
www.avito.ma

let me know If you need any help with those links.

Just so you know, in Meknes you should expect around 1500-2000 DH/Month for one bedroom or maybe 2 but since you are not moroccan they might try to charge you more. the houses in morocco are not equipped with AC so you might need to buy a portable one.

OH YEAH!! I forgot about the extra charging thing! If you have any friends who are Moroccan, see if they can help you get a place because as soon as they know you are foreign, they double or triple the price of things! They think people from other places are rich, especially Americans  :o