Coronavirus overview by the Expat Mag.

Good morning, everyone.

As you know, the coronavirus pandemic is now a reality with over 150 countries affected.

In this particular situation, our Expat Mag gives you a short summary of the situation.

Coronavirus: Expat Mag takes stock of the situation...
That's why we would also like your opinions, remarks and experience as an expat during this period.

Wishing you a pleasant Tuesday.

Loïc

169,673. This was the official number of cases of Coronavirus around the world on Monday morning

... plus all the unreported cases where people thought they had a cold.

The death rate was stated at something around 3% last time I bothered looking, but reality suggests it's actually far lower because thousands, maybe million, that don't know they've had it.

The hype is causing panic, and that stupidity is causing shops to run out of stock and a lot more. Still, the lack of travel won't hurt the environment any, but politically unstable countries could well end up with very serious problems if factions decide unemployment, hunger and fear are handy tools for them to use in order to start a revolution (read - mass murder and misery).
The pandemic (a fancy word meaning a lot of people have got it but sounds really scary so I wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of newspaper people and politicians had paid them to declare it)  thing is obviously a problem, but the stupidity surrounding it could end up being far worse.
So, how many news reports are there about the return to work in much of China, and how corona patients are recovering quickly? - Not that many because people realising it isn't quite that bad and the world isn't about to fall apart is no good for rubbish newspapers to sell their pathetic rubbish, nor is is good for politicians that want to make China and Iran sound like hell on earth.

Yes, of course the virus is a problem, especially if you're old and/or weak, but most people are going to get a mild flu, moan for a few days, then get better without going new a hospital or graveyard.

https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/publications/p02608.pdf

However, many people with COVID-19 experience only mild symptoms. This is particularly true at the early stages of
the disease. It is therefore possible to catch COVID-19 from someone who has, for example, just a mild cough and does not feel ill.

And guess what, most people that catch it from someone with mild symptoms will also have mild symptoms. 

Newspaper editors - Shout from the rooftops - Most people will get a headache and feel a bit grim for a few days ... bugger - No good for a headline.

In conclusion of this rant ..

PANIC - The world is about to end - buy up all the bog roll and hand sanitiser, kill yourselves, but for Christ's sake, - Never display any common sense.

Hi, are you fine?
I Strongly agree with you, Coronavirus is totally killing the world.

Are your Country more affected?

2019 of confirmed cases of seasonal  flu 252k 22,000 deaths from the flu. That's 10% for the flu. 
Most were never tested and got over it. CDC estimates there were 36 million cases of the flu in the USA. So COVID per WHO estimate is 6.4 % deaths for COVID.
It's serious yes, but so is the flu. The numbers for COVID aren't accurate. In order to come up with numbers they need to test everyone. WOW 450 cases in Australia and 5 died. I think more are killed by sharks.
IS being blown way out of proportion. MASS hysteria like I've never seen.
Oh there is no vaccine for the flu and no cure. But COVID will have a vaccine and a cure.

Fred: I didn't know you are partial to conspiracy theories and rantings about the bad media. Those are just another side of the overblown panic that takes over the world at the moment.
1openmind is right: I googled yesterday and found that in my country (Germany), there were three big epidemics of flu since my birth - all with many millions infected and 20000 - 30000 deaths (to compare to Corona below 10000 infected and 14 deaths, yesterday's numbers). Yet there were no drastic measures like closures, lockdown and travel restrictions. Even the SARS crisis 2003 (when I was in Asia, the worst affected area) felt much less threatening than now.
We are living in the age of fear (and common sense was already uncommon before this crisis!).

1openmind wrote:

Oh there is no vaccine for the flu and no cure. But COVID will have a vaccine and a cure.

What makes you think that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severe_ac … y_syndrome

"There is no vaccine for SARS. Clinical isolation and quarantine remain the most effective means to prevent the spread of SARS. "

WOW 450 cases in Australia and 5 died. I think more are killed by sharks.

That was a few hours ago. Now it is 565 cases (110 new) and 6 deaths.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

1openmind wrote:

2019 of confirmed cases of seasonal  flu 252k 22,000 deaths from the flu. That's 10% for the flu. 

Your post is mostly inexcusable BS. And yes, there is a vaccine for flu, a new one every year since it mutates. And similarly they expect there to be a vaccine for this but "cure" for neither it nor flu. Stop spreading misinformation.

Sorry they have a glue vaccine but it's not very effective last one was 33%. My bad

1openmind wrote:

Sorry they have a glue vaccine but it's not very effective last one was 33%. My bad

Yes, this is the downside of vaccines for such viruses. They have to be constantly developed and aren't always so effective. The underlying problem is that the viruses mutate quickly so it is trying to hit a moving target. No reason to spread misinformation or conspiracy theories.

1openmind wrote:

It's serious yes, but so is the flu.

Forgive my ignorant ass question, but are you aware of any city where the flu has caused the kind of  overload of hospitals like we're seeing in northern Italy? I wasn't and up until I read your wisdom, I believed that putting the two on the same level was irresponsible misinformation. :/ But a man can learn...

atomheart wrote:
1openmind wrote:

It's serious yes, but so is the flu.

Forgive my ignorant ass question, but are you aware of any city where the flu has caused the kind of  overload of hospitals like we're seeing in northern Italy? I wasn't and up until I read your wisdom, I believed that putting the two on the same level was irresponsible misinformation. :/ But a man can learn...

I haven't hear this point being reached in any other European country yet but it might just be a matter of time. Health care workers are already at their limit and unneccessary procedures being delayed or cancelled so they can keep up in many locations. But like you admit, you are ignorant.

TominStuttgart wrote:

I haven't hear this point being reached in any other European country yet but it might just be a matter of time. Health care workers are already at their limit and unneccessary procedures being delayed or cancelled so they can keep up in many locations. But like you admit, you are ignorant.

I see you are having trouble detecting irony, for how long have you been in Germany again..?

[irony on]Irony is very culture-dependent and difficult to detect for foreigners. I therefore propose that we use the irony hypertext tag to make it easier for ignorant outsiders!.[/irony off]

beppi wrote:

[irony on]Irony is very culture-dependent and difficult to detect for foreigners. I therefore propose that we use the irony hypertext tag to make it easier for ignorant outsiders!.[/irony off]

Is there a sarcasm hypertext tag?  :D

Is coronavirus more serious than flu or is the reaction to coronavirus more serious than the reaction to the flu?

The truth is that no one can answer this because no one knows how widespread coronavirus actually is. It could be far more widespread than anyone knows which could bring the mortality rate down to the level of the flu.

Flu kills a half million people around the world in an average year.

We just do not have a full picture of coronavirus yet to say it is or is not worse than flu. It seems to be at this point, but seems to be is not a good answer.

And as for deaths from coronavirus, are they really from coronavirus? Comorbidity is a factor in about 80%+ of all cases. Was it coronavirus that killed them or would some or many of them have died anyway?

The reaction of governments and the hysteria of media cannot answer these questions.

Philippine Destiny, scroll up, and see the question I asked the other 'murican genius! If you watched the news, would also be helpful.

If you're trying to be smart on the internet and downplay the seriousness of the outbreak and cast doubt on the governments' actions, you will reinforce the same false wisdom in people who will disregard the hygiene recommendations of officials, break curfews and thus spread the virus and unknowingly sentence other people to their deaths.

atomheart wrote:

Philippine Destiny, scroll up, and see the question I asked the other 'murican genius! If you watched the news, would also be helpful.

If you're trying to be smart on the internet and downplay the seriousness of the outbreak and cast doubt on the governments' actions, you will reinforce the same false wisdom in people who will disregard the hygiene recommendations of officials, break curfews and thus spread the virus and unknowingly sentence other people to their deaths.

No one is downplaying. Read my other posts on the matter before you comment and stop jumping to conclusions. I am stating exactly what WHO and CDC are stating, which you would know if you were half as informed as you pretend to be.

As for the news, many "news" sources are reporting that Coronavirus may be 10x as lethal as flu.

But they are also reporting that Coronavirus may be 10x more widespread than is being reported.

Understand that that means? The two things cancel each other out.

Maybe wait until we have actual facts before we make stuff up.

God forbid we should ask questions.

Let's just set our hair on fire and call each other names.

I would be willing to bet the vast majority of sufferers don't have a clue they have it. The media has made headless chickens believe it's hospital or a graveyard if you contract the disease, but the reality is the vast majority get a headache and a cough, then feel grim for a week.
Of course it's serious for some groups, but it's still a minor nothing when compared to even normal flu strains that turn up every year.

As for washing hands - if you need to be told you should do that, you're either under 5 or stupid.

Philippine Destiny wrote:

And as for deaths from coronavirus, are they really from coronavirus? Comorbidity is a factor in about 80%+ of all cases. Was it coronavirus that killed them or would some or many of them have died anyway?

Please stop being sensible and putting this clear reason to panic like a moron into perspective.
Your irresponsible common sense could mean reduced profits for news outlets and show reactionary politicians up for the idiots they are.

I'm disgusted at your post !!!!!!

Fred wrote:

Of course it's serious for some groups, but it's still a minor nothing when compared to even normal flu strains that turn up every year.

Those, who had it, say it feels like you are drowning, only slowly. It is nothing like the flu.

EveeZee wrote:
Fred wrote:

Those, who had it, say it feels like you are drowning, only slowly. It is nothing like the flu.

some say that

the vast majority say they felt little at all

If anyone does not understand how big of a deal this situation is they need to read up on pandemics. There is a really interesting show on Netflix's on the topic.  As someone who works in health care to those who dont self isolate to help slow down the rate of infection, your carelessness is risking the lives of other people and the people like me that are going to be caring for the most volunteer.

Fred wrote:

Please stop being sensible and putting this clear reason to panic like a moron into perspective.
Your irresponsible common sense could mean reduced profits for news outlets and show reactionary politicians up for the idiots they are.

I'm disgusted at your post !!!!!!

You see now what I was talking about a few weeks ago. We have nothing to fear but fear itself - everything is shut down.

But, I said above that we do not know the full answers yet.

This could prove to be as bad as some say or it could be worse or it could be just another flu.

We just do not know yet. But what we do know if the NEWS and CDCWHO can be trusted is that healthy people have a very high chance of suffering little from the actual coronavirus.

It depends on what you define suffering as?

A lot of people will suffer seeing their loved ones and freinds die in pain and agony.

A lot of people that work in health care like me will suffer as a result of watching their patients die in pain and agony and not being able to help them.

In Italy they don't have enough respirators and have to choose who will live and who they should let die without treatment. A doctor said, if they have one 60 year old and a 85 year old, they let the 85 year old die.

They basically let that poor 85 year old slowly drown. Pretty heartless to say that this is not serious.

Btw, look at the numbers. How many new cases in every country every day. And how many deaths.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Maybe wait until we have actual facts before we make stuff up.

We have actual facts, it's the number of people with serious cases that need urgent hospitalization (versus available capacity), and not only hospitals are overloaded in northern Italy, but crematorys too.

Moderated by Loïc 4 years ago
Reason : no cursing or covered insults, please

According to the current severe coronavirus spreading situation, you need at least a box of n95 for you and your family. now I have some factory resources to get the n95 masks....contact me.

According to the Philippines Department of Health

18. Do I need a mask to protect myself against COVID-19?

No. People with no respiratory signs and symptoms do not need to wear a medical mask. DOH recommends the use of medical masks only for the following: 

For people who are presenting with symptoms of COVID-19;

Those caring for individuals who have symptoms such as cough andfever, and

Health workers.

DOH, together with WHO, advises the rational use of medical masks to avoid unnecessary wastage of vital resources and mis-use of masks.

The most effective ways to protect yourself and others against COVID-19 are to frequently clean or wash your hands, cover your cough with a tissue or the bend of the elbow, and maintain a distance of at least one meter from people who are coughing or sneezing. (For more information, see Section on protective and preventive measures).

https://www.doh.gov.ph/sites/default/fi … ry-No8.pdf

Fred wrote:

I would be willing to bet the vast majority of sufferers don't have a clue they have it. The media has made headless chickens believe it's hospital or a graveyard if you contract the disease, but the reality is the vast majority get a headache and a cough, then feel grim for a week.

As for washing hands - if you need to be told you should do that, you're either under 5 or stupid.

This is outright disinformation, stop it! The media and officials have made it clear that the majority have few if any symptoms. This is one of the reasons it spreads so easily. But while unlike flu, which more targets the young rather than the old who have a life time of partial immunity. This Corona seems to mostly affect the elderly. But it's not just the very old that would die naturally anyway. Many otherwise healthy people in their 40s, 50s and 60s are also amongst the hospitalized and dead. This is very different from the flu.

This first preliminary description of outcomes among patients with COVID-19 in the United States indicates that fatality was highest in persons aged ≥85, ranging from 10% to 27%, followed by 3% to 11% among persons aged 65–84 years, 1% to 3% among persons aged 55-64 years, <1% among persons aged 20–54 years, and no fatalities among persons aged ≤19 years.

As of March 16, a total of 4,226 COVID-19 cases had been reported in the United States, with reports increasing to 500 or more cases per day beginning March 14 (Figure 1). Among 2,449 patients with known age, 6% were aged ≥85, 25% were aged 65–84 years, 18% each were aged 55–64 years and 45–54 years, and 29% were aged 20–44 years (Figure 2). Only 5% of cases occurred in persons aged 0–19 years.

Among 508 (12%) patients known to have been hospitalized, 9% were aged ≥85 years, 26% were aged 65–84 years, 17% were aged 55–64 years, 18% were 45–54 years, and 20% were aged 20–44 years. Less than 1% of hospitalizations were among persons aged ≤19 years (Figure 2). The percentage of persons hospitalized increased with age, from 2%–3% among persons aged ≤9 years, to ≥31% among adults aged ≥85 years.

From the above of the total US cases as of 3/16 4.4% (37% of 12%) of persons 20-64 who tested positive were hospitalized; 1.3% (48% of 3%) were admitted to the ICU ; and  .2% (20% of 1%) died.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/ … mm6912e2_w

In South Korea, for example, which had an early surge of cases, the death rate in Covid-19 patients ages 80 and over was 10.4%, compared to 5.35% in 70-somethings, 1.51% in patients 60 to 69, 0.37% in 50-somethings. Even lower rates were seen in younger people, dropping to zero in those 29 and younger.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/18/cor … nvincible/

The health of the general population plays a significant role.

Wuhan mortality rate scaled down from 3.4% to 1.4 %
[link under review]

Will it be revised again? Probably.

According to the current severe coronavirus spreading situation, you need at least a box of n95 for you and your family. now I have some factory resources to get the n95 masks....contact me.

No. People with no respiratory signs and symptoms do not need to wear a medical mask. DOH recommends the use of medical masks only for the following: 

Health workers.

DOH, together with WHO, advises the rational use of medical masks to avoid unnecessary wastage of vital resources and mis-use of masks.

The most effective ways to protect yourself and others against COVID-19 are to frequently clean or wash your hands, cover your cough with a tissue or the bend of the elbow, and maintain a distance of at least one meter from people who are coughing or sneezing. (For more information, see Section on protective and preventive measures).

The Philippines has only 230 cases as of today. The Europeans were told the same thing a few weeks ago when they had only a few cases. Today the tune has changed and, in some countries, like Czechia everybody must wear a mask in public or will be fined.
End of February the German government was so optimistic that it had sent 8.7 tons of medical supplies, like surgical masks and protective clothing, to China. They were were sure Europeans were safe. Today they have 17372 cases and counting.

A German doctor said on TV it is nonsense that only the sick should wear the mask. It is useful in public when somebody next to you is sneezing or coughing.

It is no coincidence that the Chinese today have almost no new cases, but the result of everybody wearing masks in public and staying home whenever possible.

EveeZee wrote:

Health workers.

The Philippines has only 230 cases as of today. The Europeans were told the same thing a few weeks ago when they had only a few cases. Today the tune has changed and, in some countries, like Check Republic everybody must wear a mask in public or they will be fined.
End of February the German government was so optimistic that they have send 8.7 tons of their medical supplies, like surgical masks and protective clothing, to China. They were so confident that Europeans were safe. Today they have 17372 cases and counting.

A German doctor said on TV it is nonsense that only the sick should wear the mask. It is useful in public when somebody next to you is sneezing or coughing.

It is no coincidence that the Chinese today have almost no new cases, but the result of everybody wearing masks in public and staying home whenever possible.

Great idea, but since there are not enough for medical personnel and the government is arresting people for hoarding and if someone is offering them in a forum then guess what? they are hoarding.

Like it or not that is the guidance. I should have posted the link to the story about material hoarders being arrested instead of the guidance from DOH.

But we cannot at this time confirm China's numbers nor can we make attributions to what may have brought them down.

No one is attributing it to masks

China's response to the virus has included strict social distancing, more than a month of city-wide lockdowns of Wuhan and surrounding areas, extensive public monitoring of citizens, as well as various methods of punishment and rewards to encourage adherence to such measures

[link under review]

lockdowns and social distancing is what they attribute it to

I am not saying masks did not help.

Unless the mask covers your whole body, it is obvious that it is not a good protection against pathogens that enter the body through all openings (e.g. eyes, ears and probably also through the skin).
Worse, wearing a mask can give a wrong sense of safety and cause people to take greater risks. And it wastes masks that are in short supply, therefore should be reserved for those infected or at greater risk (e.g. medical personell).
That's why most non-Asian governments advice against wearing masks.
Good (hand-) hygiene and keeping a distance are far more important!

beppi wrote:

Unless the mask covers your whole body, it is obvious that it is not a good protection against pathogens that enter the body through all openings (e.g. eyes, ears and probably also through the skin).
Worse, wearing a mask can give a wrong sense of safety and cause people to take greater risks. And it wastes masks that are in short supply, therefore should be reserved for those infected or at greater risk (e.g. medical personell).
That's why most non-Asian governments advice against wearing masks.
Good (hand-) hygiene and keeping a distance are far more important!

a good portion maybe even most of them were wearing masks daily even before the start of the outbreak

The problem is, most governments, the Chinese, European, Iranian, etc. were/are downplaying the danger in the beginning for fear of panic. They only admit the truth when it can't be denied anymore. Many lives could have been saved had the governments taken the disease seriously and, instead of trying to calm the population, had informed them honestly.

woulda coulda shoulda

If there was not such a great shortage of masks, then there would be no problem with wearing the masks (whether they benefit you or not). But since there is a shortage there is no way around needing to follow the guidance and self police your behavior. Determine if you are in a high risk category of if you live with or take care of someone who is. If so, then the mask is for you. If not, and you are healthy and do not have any of the factors that place you at higher risk then you should follow the guidance and leave the masks for those who need them more.

If there was not such a great shortage of masks, then there would be no problem with wearing the masks (whether they benefit you or not). But since there is a shortage there is no way around needing to follow the guidance and self police your behavior. Determine if you are in a high risk category of if you live with or take care of someone who is. If so, then the mask is for you. If not, and you are healthy and do not have any of the factors that place you at higher risk then you should follow the guidance and leave the masks for those who need them more.

https://www.france24.com/en/20200317-st … k-shortage

"Řevnice (Czech Republic) (AFP)

Thousands of Czech women have joined forces via social media to sew face masks at home to help combat the spread of the novel coronavirus amid a dire shortage of medical materials.

A Facebook group called "Czechia sews face masks" went viral after it was launched on Sunday, drawing 24,000 members in two days as droves of women armed with sewing machines signed up to do battle with the disease.

While experts say wearing masks and gloves as a precaution against the coronavirus is ineffective, the World Health Organization nevertheless says it is advisable to wear a protective mask in public and health experts are concerned about possible shortages.

There were 434 confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus in the Czech Republic as of Tuesday, including three cured patients, and no deaths.

Health Minister Adam Vojtech admitted last week that the country's health sector alone lacks up to a million face masks as the number of cases in the EU member of 10.7 million people began to creep up.

Prime Minister Andrej Babis has apologised to the nation for the shortages, vowing to find a remedy as the government sent planes to China to bring back face masks, coronavirus tests and other medical materials.

In the meantime, ordinary Czechs have switched on their sewing machines.

"There's a shortage (of masks), you read about that everywhere, and you can see that many people have joined on social networks and make masks at home," said Alena Vanova, a town hall clerk in the small town of Revnice located southwest of Prague.

- 'Many masks, fast' -

Vanova started to make face masks at home with her daughters on Tuesday, intended to equip her family and colleagues, but also pensioners.

"It has to be fast, made with pure cotton material and I think even a complete beginner can make it," Vanova told AFP.

Many mask makers are women staying home to care for children after the government shut schools to stem infections, while husbands and boyfriends are also threading their needles in the fight.

The technique is relatively straightforward: people typically sew together specially cut pieces of clean bed sheets folded three times and then fit them with strings to tie up around the back of the head.

Zuzana Hrdinova, a former teacher who recently became a dressmaker, says that making masks is a far cry from stitching together stylish clothes.

"I normally use classic sewing techniques -- I sew by hand, stitch, zigzag, while this is mostly about speed, quantity. It has to be solid and you don't really care about design or details," she told AFP.

Mikela Tlusta, a fashion designer, has returned to sewing, something which she left to professional seamstresses years ago.

"It's urgent, we need to make many masks, fast," she told AFP.

"The first mask took a long time and I threw it away. The second one looked weird, but from the third one on, it's been OK.

"This is how I started -- I spent days and nights sewing and now the memories are coming back. I've missed it, so it feels great."

© 2020 AFP"

EveeZee wrote:

https://www.france24.com/en/20200317-st … k-shortage

"Řevnice (Czech Republic) (AFP)

Thousands of Czech women have joined forces via social media to sew face masks at home to help combat the spread of the novel coronavirus amid a dire shortage of medical materials.

A Facebook group called "Czechia sews face masks" went viral after it was launched on Sunday, drawing 24,000 members in two days as droves of women armed with sewing machines signed up to do battle with the disease.

While experts say wearing masks and gloves as a precaution against the coronavirus is ineffective, the World Health Organization nevertheless says it is advisable to wear a protective mask in public and health experts are concerned about possible shortages.

There were 434 confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus in the Czech Republic as of Tuesday, including three cured patients, and no deaths.

Health Minister Adam Vojtech admitted last week that the country's health sector alone lacks up to a million face masks as the number of cases in the EU member of 10.7 million people began to creep up.

Prime Minister Andrej Babis has apologised to the nation for the shortages, vowing to find a remedy as the government sent planes to China to bring back face masks, coronavirus tests and other medical materials.

In the meantime, ordinary Czechs have switched on their sewing machines.

"There's a shortage (of masks), you read about that everywhere, and you can see that many people have joined on social networks and make masks at home," said Alena Vanova, a town hall clerk in the small town of Revnice located southwest of Prague.

- 'Many masks, fast' -

Vanova started to make face masks at home with her daughters on Tuesday, intended to equip her family and colleagues, but also pensioners.

"It has to be fast, made with pure cotton material and I think even a complete beginner can make it," Vanova told AFP.

Many mask makers are women staying home to care for children after the government shut schools to stem infections, while husbands and boyfriends are also threading their needles in the fight.

The technique is relatively straightforward: people typically sew together specially cut pieces of clean bed sheets folded three times and then fit them with strings to tie up around the back of the head.

Zuzana Hrdinova, a former teacher who recently became a dressmaker, says that making masks is a far cry from stitching together stylish clothes.

"I normally use classic sewing techniques -- I sew by hand, stitch, zigzag, while this is mostly about speed, quantity. It has to be solid and you don't really care about design or details," she told AFP.

Mikela Tlusta, a fashion designer, has returned to sewing, something which she left to professional seamstresses years ago.

"It's urgent, we need to make many masks, fast," she told AFP.

"The first mask took a long time and I threw it away. The second one looked weird, but from the third one on, it's been OK.

"This is how I started -- I spent days and nights sewing and now the memories are coming back. I've missed it, so it feels great."

© 2020 AFP"

What part of "there is a great shortage of masks" do you not understand?

Because the fact that there is a shortage along with this quote from WHO is why not everyone should be hoarding them

If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with suspected 2019-nCoV infection.

[link under review]

The part where it says you can actually make them if there is a shortage ;)
You shouldn't just worry about the shortage, but do something about it.
But to do that, you must admit that it is helpful.

Share your expat experience and get in touch with other members

OR