Finding alternative work due to school closures

Hi all,

As everyone is aware of the school closures and with no certainty as to when they will reopen for ESL lessons, I guess for those of us who don't want to leave Vietnam it's time to look for alternative jobs/solutions that actually pay enough to live on (I'm not talking the same as teaching salary, maybe even half is acceptable), can anyone provide any help or advice on what other jobs an Expat can do in Vietnam.

Many thanks any help is highly appreciated at this time!

Have you looked into online teaching?

This site provides a thorough list of online teaching companies.

https://www.goodairlanguage.com/teachin … -online-2/

Cambly is one of the easiest to get started on (just register and make an introduction video) but the pay is not so great.

https://www.cambly.com/en/tutors?lang=en

Anyway, there's no commitment so you could do that while applying to other companies.

ar1992 wrote:

Hi all,

As everyone is aware of the school closures and with no certainty as to when they will reopen for ESL lessons, I guess for those of us who don't want to leave Vietnam it's time to look for alternative jobs/solutions that actually pay enough to live on (I'm not talking the same as teaching salary, maybe even half is acceptable), can anyone provide any help or advice on what other jobs an Expat can do in Vietnam.

Selling LOTO tickets??

Hello, do not know where you live in Vietnam?

ar1992 wrote:

Hi all,

How about you start by telling us what you're an expert in?

Because if Vietnam doesn't consider you to be an expert in one of the fields where they will approve a foreigner to work in place of a Vietnamese citizen , then you are really out of luck.

Also, it would probably help if you tell us whether you are currently teaching legally or illegally.

In other words, are you receiving pay under the table , or do you have a legal contract and thus a legal work permit?

If you had those things, one might assume that you also had a temporary resident card.

So we might expect you to be asking how to hold onto your temporary resident card.

So since you aren't asking that question, it seems somewhat likely that you are here teaching on a tourist visa, maybe illegally.

Correct me if I'm wrong about any of this , and help put your situation in perspective so we can give you better feedback

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
ar1992 wrote:

Hi all,

Because if Vietnam doesn't consider you to be an expert in one of the fields where they will approve a foreigner to work in place of a Vietnamese citizen , then you are really out of luck.

Also, it would probably help if you tell us whether you are currently teaching legally or illegally.

In other words, are you receiving pay under the table , or do you have a legal contract and thus a legal work permit?

If you had those things, one might assume that you also had a temporary resident card.

So we might expect you to be asking how to hold onto your temporary resident card.

So since you aren't asking that question, it seems somewhat likely that you are here teaching on a tourist visa, maybe illegally.

Correct me if I'm wrong about any of this , and help put your situation in perspective so we can give you better feedback

Man you hit the nail on the head there  :/ check out his intro work history!!.......I say no more.

goodolboy wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
ar1992 wrote:

Hi all,

Man you hit the nail on the head there  :/ check out his intro work history!!.......I say no more.

After I wrote my reply I looked at some of his previous posts.

At one point he was talking about a company wanting to hire him on a series of 3 month contracts, and they were telling him that his best option was to get a business Visa.

Mind you, they didn't sponsor his business Visa, from what he wrote.

Instead, he would have gone to a Visa-On-Arrival agent and gotten a business Visa through them with a sponsor provided by the VOA agency.

Then his employers dodged the need to get themselves a work permit for him (their responsibility) because they are hiring him for three-month intervals, and technically under the law, a work permit is not required for employment of 90 days or less.

However, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that serial contracts such as this are an  attempt to circumvent the law, especially compounded by the fact that the employer is not the sponsor of his Visa, and he is only allowed to work for the sponsor of his Visa, no matter what length of time.

I hope any casual readers who are working here under similar circumstances will take serious note.

Hello, i live in Bac Giang city

Hi mate, i know everything you said is very common and often the case, but this is probably the one time you're completely incorrect, i have a contract, work permit and 2 residency card. I came ti Vietnam with the intention of working here for 2 years so i made sure all the legal stuff completed ASAP, i am as legal as can be😁👍🏼.

Now back to what you were saying about being an "expert" in order to find employment,  well apart from teaching i have basic college qualifications in plumbing and construction work but in Vietnam i don't think that job even pays my rent let a lone other expenses. I also have experience in online marketing but not classed as "expert" here. If you're one of those people that can't take anything seriously and just want to take the p###, do me a favour and move on. I really want to stays here and really need an alternative source of income. Online teaching is so competitive and I'm just on waiting list for many companies.

Guys, don't be so quick to judge, i rarely use this website, my previous post were from when i was in the UK and considering Vietnam, since then i found out about the Visa run nonsense and just wasn't interested in working for a company like that.

ar1992 wrote:

Hi mate, i know everything you said is very common and often the case, but this is probably the one time you're completely incorrect, i have a contract, work permit and 2 residency card. I came ti Vietnam with the intention of working here for 2 years so i made sure all the legal stuff completed ASAP, i am as legal as can be😁👍🏼.

Now back to what you were saying about being an "expert" in order to find employment,  well apart from teaching i have basic college qualifications in plumbing and construction work but in Vietnam i don't think that job even pays my rent let a lone other expenses. I also have experience in online marketing but not classed as "expert" here. If you're one of those people that can't take anything seriously and just want to take the p###, do me a favour and move on. I really want to stays here and really need an alternative source of income. Online teaching is so competitive and I'm just on waiting list for many companies.

ar1992 wrote:

Guys, don't be so quick to judge, i rarely use this website, my previous post were from when i was in the UK and considering Vietnam, since then i found out about the Visa run nonsense and just wasn't interested in working for a company like that.

Admittedly we (I??? 😉) can be quick to jump to conclusions here, but that's because of past experiences with many posters who fail to provide all pertinent details, and those details are too often quite similar.

I know there is a formal list somewhere online of the various fields within which foreigners are welcome to work.

Hopefully someone else can provide that info.

Are you at all close to marrying a Vietnamese citizen?

That would work, but time constraints might force you out of the country first.

Normally, if you'd simply lost your employment position, I'd encourage you to seek teaching employment in some of the less popular areas where demand is greater.

What's your wealth status like?

If you could live here, would you also have to work or do you have another source of income?

I'm asking because you might be able to craft yourself a position that qualifies as legal employment with a Vietnamese company, where you would only work one day a month.

I keep seeing the words project manager posted on the Forum here.

I do wish I could be more help to you, but based on your initial post it really seemed like you didn't have much chance of remaining here.

Good luck!

ar1992 wrote:

i have a contract, work permit and 2 residency card. I came ti Vietnam with the intention of working here for 2 years so i made sure all the legal stuff completed ASAP, i am as legal as can be😁👍🏼.

How did you get a residency card without owning a business, working for a foreign company in Vietnam, working under a long term contract with a company who sponsored you, or married to a Vietnamese?

How did you get 2 residency cards?  Is one card for North Vietnam and the other one for South Vietnam?  <readers, please fill in the emoji of your choice here>

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
ar1992 wrote:

ar1992 wrote:

Admittedly we (I??? 😉) can be quick to jump to conclusions here, but that's because of past experiences with many posters who fail to provide all pertinent details, and those details are too often quite similar.

I know there is a formal list somewhere online of the various fields within which foreigners are welcome to work.

Hopefully someone else can provide that info.

Are you at all close to marrying a Vietnamese citizen?

That would work, but time constraints might force you out of the country first.

Normally, if you'd simply lost your employment position, I'd encourage you to seek teaching employment in some of the less popular areas where demand is greater.

What's your wealth status like?

If you could live here, would you also have to work or do you have another source of income?

I'm asking because you might be able to craft yourself a position that qualifies as legal employment with a Vietnamese company, where you would only work one day a month.

I keep seeing the words project manager posted on the Forum here.

I do wish I could be more help to you, but based on your initial post it really seemed like you didn't have much chance of remaining here.

Good luck!

It's ok, but i really do need to find something else to pay the bills, no nooo not even close to marrying a vietnamese woman.

I'm curious about what you said as "working 1 day a month "?? Please tell me more.

I do not have any other source of income at the moment and have seen the project manager jobs which pay very little....but there is no other option at the moment.

I would export goods back to the UK to sell but logistics are so badly messed up right now and the fear of spreading the virus if massive.

Now, because all the provinces have different start dates for work I'm thinking of changing employer but i have a really good package where i am and i don't think it's worth the risk just to start work a week or 2 earlier than here.

China ate the bat and now we all get the aftertaste! I guess i will just have try online or.....??