Home decoration ideas for expats in Mexico

Hello,

After moving to Mexico, setting up home and turning your accommodation into your personal abode can be a great way to start off your new life and feel at home. We would like to know whether expats are keen on decorating and furnishing to warm up their space whether for the festive season or all year-round.

Upon renting a new apartment or house in Mexico, do you redesign your accommodation to suit your taste? Are your choices influenced by price, climate, etc…?

Have you brought any interior decoration items from your home country or did you consider buying any once in Mexico?

As an expat in Mexico do you find it worthy to invest in home decor? Could you share what you have bought and perhaps some interesting places to shop for home decor?

How would you describe the local style of decoration? Have you picked up any item which reflects the local style?

Would you be inspired by the festive season to decorate and add a festive touch to your living space?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Bhavna

There is really not much I can say Bhavna,

I came with a minimum amount of things and rented a furnished house, Actually, I should say over-furnished. It's not my style and there is way too much of it, but it is her furniture and its important to her.

We did agree that I could deal with the yard which was more like a small overgrown jungle. She had planted some pretty little plants that had since grown to be enormous. It's not unusual for non-gardeners to fill spaces without regard for the future. After 6 years of work, the yard is a garden, not an aggressive jungle. 4 giant blue yuccas were the first to go which allowed me to actually walk down the path without being cut daily by their barbs.

There is little I can do about the biggest gardening problem, black plastic covered with white rocks. Some bad advice many fall prey to. The black plastics and rocks give the weeds an excellent anchor for their roots. I did use a lasagna type technique to cover some of those rocks and bring in the soil where I planted dense ground cover around the patio. Oregano has taken hold there and created a densely green area.  I just have to pay someone every month or so to spend a day digging out the weeds in the rocks. The ground cover takes care of its self.

As for the house I brought paintings that improve the rooms I use the most. The front room is full of furniture and her paintings and gifts she didn't want in her own house,  Her furniture is dark brown extremely heavy furniture. It's as I said, her house. If it were my house, most of the furniture would be gone and all but two of the paintings. Am I a landscaper? nope, a master gardener. Am I an interior decorator? Nope, I had 3 years into an art major before switching majors, plus the paintings I brought are my daughters and she is a professional artist.