Tipping housekeeper

Hello everyone! Just a question? I have a long term rental of 10 months here , It is a 1 bedroom casita. The house keeper comes once a week to clean and wash towels and sheets. How much should I tip her ? It takes her about 2 hours. Never had this before so newbie. Thanks

Mel01 wrote:

Hello everyone! Just a question? I have a long term rental of 10 months here , It is a 1 bedroom casita. The house keeper comes once a week to clean and wash towels and sheets. How much should I tip her ? It takes her about 2 hours. Never had this before so newbie. Thanks

I haven´t heard of tipping a cleaning lady in Mexico. If she was there for 7 or 8 hours lunch would most likely be the only thing provided but for 2 hours nothing. Maybe something to drink.

Mel01 wrote:

I don't tip my housekeeper, I just pay her $250 pesos a week. I sometimes give her something I know she or her children will like, or compensate her for extra chores. I have a full sized house.

Was tip the word you meant to chose ?

The housekeeper works for the landlord, it is included with rent. I tip housekeeper at hotels and vacation rentals normally, so wondered if I should here also.

Mel01 wrote:

The housekeeper works for the landlord, it is included with rent. I tip housekeeper at hotels and vacation rentals normally, so wondered if I should here also.

Ah, something I hadn't thought of. I'm accustomed to people in houses or apartments.
If you see it as basically like a hotel, rather than a house, then I guess you should proceed as you would in a hotel. How much ? when I travel I usually tip 15-20% just as I would in the U.S.  You might ask the owner what he/she thinks . Always a good way to go, to avoid rocking the boat.

A Casita is basically a small house; a cabin or bungalow, so it depends on your circumstances. If its a bungalow attached to, or behind a house, it is most likely your home like an apartment.
Yet you are not paying her salary, so she does not work for you.
It sounds like she is performing like a maid so then you would do as any guest might do in a hotel.
Thanks for the very interesting question. :)

Mel01 wrote:

The reason to not tip a cleaning lady is they make about $25.00 pesos per hour on average for full time maids to $50.00 [part time rate in CDMX] pesos per hour for usually 7 or 8 hours per day usually 6 days a week for roughly $1,200.00 pesos per week on average if they are good and have a full schedule.

The lady that makes up your room relies on tips and is paid minimum wage for 6 days working sometimes 9 hours per day at $82.04 pesos per day or mínimum wage in Mexico which is $429.00 pesos for 9 hours a day for 6 days per week of hard work - no goofing off like cleaning ladies can do between appointments or if they are full time.

You are under no obligation to give your money to hired help but do as you please.

@alleycat1

That dosen't sound kind

If you can afford a cleaning lady you should definitely tip her at least 15%  .   More if she's really good

@EvangelineWoolwich

Hello, please note that you are participating on an old thread.. the post is from 2017.

Regards

Bhavna

Closed