New to Canberra

Hi All,

This is a newbie to this forum. I am a would be resident of Canberra. An Automobile engineer by profession. Thinking of shifting down to Canberra by this Sept.

Would like to know more about rents in different suburbs,job search tips,schooling,shopping areas & transport facilities.

How is Queanbeyean as an option for staying ? How are the rents there ? How does one commute to Canberra from Queanbeyean ?

Please do help by giving your experiences / tips.

carwiz

Hi Carwiz,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hey carwiz
I have lived and worked in Canberra for sometime so i no the area pretty well and hve worked all over Canberra in different suburbs.
Hope this info helps. In Canberra all rent is pretty high really so if u either have a job lined up best thing to do is live close bye or same suburb this can help. Queanbeyean would be a good place to stay but its a little bit outside of the city, maybe 25mins drive, work in Canberra is very easy to get as its the Capital but not only its rapidly expending. You defiantly need a car in Canberra as public transport is pretty non existent in terms of getting to work etc. 1 good thing about this city is it takes you 30 mins to drive from south side to north side so its good this way, in Sydney south to north can take you 1-30-2 hours as you may already no.
Lots of schools everywhere there so this should not be a problem for you

Best of Luck

Cheers