Move to England from USA??

I'm thinking about moving my Mom back to England to be with family for the years she has left. I'm a little worried about income. In the states (Idaho) I make $63,000 / year as a water treatment operator. This equates to £ 51,000 a year, however water treatment operators in the UK only make £ 20,000 - £ 30,000 a year, not to mention the tax rate in the UK is stupid high compared to the US. This cuts my income in half, which subsequently is right at the poverty line in America. Is the cost of living in England going to make up for the severe loss of salary? My family lives in King's Lynn, Norfolk. I could sell my house for $325,000 / £ 262,600. Will this buy a decent home in that area? I was born in the UK so citizenship isn't an issue, I am just concerned that I'm not going to live as "comfortable" a life as I do in the United States. That being said 'social class' means a lot more in the UK than it does in most places, including the US; if you live in the UK, I'd love to hear what you have to say. If you have moved from the US to the UK...how has your life changed? And if you could suggest a better area to live that is close-ish to King's Lynn, Norfolk, please do.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I made the move, but a really long time ago, so nothing we did is relevant to you and your Mom now, but if you're both UK passport holders, then you have the right to live and work anywhere in the UK.

That salary band is about right for a mid-level experienced manual worker; to work out your tax and Insurance payments, try this link, I don't think it's as bad you thought.

Cost of living, try the Numbeo website - it will give you an idea; this link will take you there; it has the facility to compare different places.

If you have any further specific questions, please come back to us.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team