Can I successfully pay off my student loan in UK as a teacher

Hi
I am considering moving to England, not London to work as a teacher.  But, I am concerned that it will be too expensive to live in England because I owe a minimum of 500.00 Canadian dollars per month on my student loan.  I would really like to pay 1000.00 per month.  Teachers make between £21,000-31,000 per year. When looking at the info on this site on cost of living, the UK seems doable, but I am thinking that the UK taxes everything so much that I will not meet my goals and one person said on this site that wages can be taxed around 30-35%.  Is this last point true or how much will i pay in taxes on my wage? It would be solo helpful if someone could tell me if they think I will meet my goal of paying between 500. And 1000.Canadian per month on my student loan?

Thank-you everyone:-)

Hi and welcome on Expat.com Canadaone :)

I hope other members will help you find a solution soon ;)

Regards
Armand

Its really going to depend on how much your rent is... rent here is paid weekly and is usually not cheap... You also have silly things to pay for here other than usual utilities like the TV license, council tax, etc... the exchange rate is also pretty bad in comparison... but there is also an upside to the move as well... Change is always good. The experience will be priceless.

I recommend looking up the area where you want to live, how much rent goes for, then look up utilities, etc.. build a budget and go from there...

As for taxes look up the HMRC and you will be able to figure out all the tax info... around 30% is pretty accurate.

hmrc.gov.uk

Goodluck