Close

Moving to Newmarket Suffolk - Can anyone help please?

Hey Guys,

So I got a job opportunity recently in Newmarket - Suffolk, however, I really have no idea about the cost of living there.

My basic yearly salary will be around £50,000 (before TAX). I will be moving there with my wife and 2 kids (3 years and 1 year old). My wife does not have a work yet.

My questions are:

. Is that income enough to live a decent life? My yearly expenses would include house (not flat) rent, school, etc...

. What would be the average of living cost there?

. Will I be able to save?

. How much will my taxes amount for?

Thank you

Hi Deadbeat and welcome to the Forum.

To answer your questions:

Salary - It depends on your life style and where you choose to live I guess; it's nothing spectacular, but enough to live on.

Cost of living - the Numbeo organisation has a website that provides this information; this link will take you to the information for Norwich, which is the nearest place to Newmarket it has information on.  The information reflects the previous 12-months, so will be a bit behind the curve.

Save - up to you.

Taxes - the UK Government site for this can be found at this link.  You also have to take into account the UK National Insurance charge, which on a £50k salary is currently £4,520 p/annum; it will be taken from your salary at source on a monthly basis.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Expatriate health insurance in England

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in England

Moving to England

Find tips from professionals about moving to England

Travel insurance in England

Enjoy stress-free travel to England

Flights to England

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to England