Divorce laws in Malta

I have always been 100% sure that the divorce laws in Malta don't affect me. As a British citizen I thought that even if I get married in Malta to another British citizen, if I wanted a divorce I could just go back to England and get one...

...but someone mentioned to me that regardless of the fact I am British, because the marriage certificate is Maltese, I wouldn't be able to get a divorce. Does anyone know the actual facts on this?

I have no plans to get divorced (or married any time soon!), I would just like to know the laws and where I stand if I were to get married here.

Thanks!

They are wrong. Anyone married in Malta, including Maltese citizens, can get divorced in another country if they live in that country (assuming they fulfil the requirements in that country), hence why one of the arguments for introducing divorce in Malta is to allow everyone the same opportunities that rich Maltese currently have.

iamharibo wrote:

I have always been 100% sure that the divorce laws in Malta don't affect me. As a British citizen I thought that even if I get married in Malta to another British citizen, if I wanted a divorce I could just go back to England and get one...

AFAIK you can't just go back to the UK and get a divorce, you would need to reside there.

Thank you for the clarification. I didn't realise I'd have to move back properly to get it either!

I find the billboard...Divorce without reason, No thank you.. posted all over the islands funny...HELLO....people don't get divorced without a reason!!

Haha I know it's brilliant. It's not like two people, married, very much in love, great marriage wake up one day and go... Hey, divorce is legal, lets try it! haha!