HELP! Where to apply for National Health??

I know, I am not an expat, but I am having quite a hard time finding information regarding our unique situation.

Our History:
He is a Canadian born, England raised. Dual Citizen.  Living in Canada for the past 10 years..  I am Canadian, our small children are as well.

We are migrating to England and are doing so late June.  We know this is very quick, but we expected our the sale of our home to close later rather than as soon as it did.

So, here's my problem.  I cant find specific information regarding our situation..ei: how to apply for national health, what information we need to clear customs.  I have read that my husband will need his old passport with his new, and we would need documentation of our marriage, and childrens' birth certificates/passports and all other forms of ID 

to me this seems too easy, and am scared to be turned away upon arrival!  I cant call (without being charged $$) to confirm this is true.

I also cannot find the appropriate site for applying for (atleast) my childrens' National Health # in advance, to get the process started.

I apologize if I seem ignorant in regards to UK migration policies!!! 

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!

As far as I know, you don't really have to register for NHS.  If you're physically present in the UK, no matter how you get here, you're covered. 

Once you've moved in, found a home, and have a semi-permanent address, you'll want to visit one of the local clinics / surgeries to register a primary physician, who will become your standard point-of-contact for healthcare matters.

However, even if you've just stepped off the plane, and are only present as a tourist / visitor and don't have work permits or residency or anything like that lined up, the hospitals will all still treat you.

I can't speak for your other questions.  My impression is that, if your husband is a naturalized UK citizen, and carries a UK passport, then you should be able to reside in the UK and even work, but you'd clearly want to confirm that with the UK Home Office.

Regardless, I think you and the kids would still require entry visas.  It can take a little time and money to arrange those, and that has to be done before you arrive.  Therefore, you should probably telephone the UK embassy in Canada and ask their consuls to guide you through the requirements:

http://ukincanada.fco.gov.uk/en/

Best of luck!

cdnbassjunkie wrote:

I know, I am not an expat, but I am having quite a hard time finding information regarding our unique situation.

Our History:
He is a Canadian born, England raised. Dual Citizen.  Living in Canada for the past 10 years..  I am Canadian, our small children are as well.

We are migrating to England and are doing so late June.  We know this is very quick, but we expected our the sale of our home to close later rather than as soon as it did.

So, here's my problem.  I cant find specific information regarding our situation..ei: how to apply for national health, what information we need to clear customs.  I have read that my husband will need his old passport with his new, and we would need documentation of our marriage, and childrens' birth certificates/passports and all other forms of ID 

to me this seems too easy, and am scared to be turned away upon arrival!  I cant call (without being charged $$) to confirm this is true.

I also cannot find the appropriate site for applying for (atleast) my childrens' National Health # in advance, to get the process started.

I apologize if I seem ignorant in regards to UK migration policies!!! 

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!

Hello,
Your husband will have to enter the UK with an up to date British passport (no need for old passport). Because your husband was not born in the UK, your children are not automatically British so you and your children will need to apply for a visa and this is done before moving to the UK. You need to have your passport stamped with your visa when you enter the UK.
You will apply for a spouse visa (I think you can put your children on it but you will have to check if this is possible).
See : http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/ecg/settle … s#19924495 for the requirements, paper work, etc..
It can take a few months to obtain your visa , you should not book your flight until you have it.
Once you are in the UK , you will have access to the NHS (as a permanent resident, they will probably want to see your visa). You can register with a local GP in the area you will be living.

hope this helps
Joanne

Hey there

I've just done what you're about to do. The kids and you will need settlement visas. They are expensive and they take a minumum of 12 weeks to process. They don't mess as they made me leave my 3 year old back in Canada for a month while her settlement visa came through.  Nightmare.  everything you'll need is here

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply … ementguide

any other questions feel free to contact me :)

s

It is not automatic right to NHS treatment,as a UK resident If i leave for more than 2 years I have to prove intent of residency on return before I can get a gp, I would be eligible for emergency treatment but that is all-even though i would still be paying income tax when I am away-details from my MP recently