Moving to England on EU passport: NHS?

Hello:

I have been married to a UK citizen for almost 9 years (that's hard to believe:) and we've lived in the US that whole time-- with two trips to London each year so my Londoner hubbie doesn't go too crazy.

My general question concerns the immgration process-- we are seriously thinking of moving to the London area in the next 6-12 months. I was planning on applying for a settlement visa, and saw the prices have gone up to 800 pounds.

Through my father's Cypriot citizenship, I have applied for and will be receiving Cypriot citizenship and passport. This process takes longer than the UK settlement visa but is far less expensive. I understand that with a passport from an EU country, you can live and work anywhere in the EU.

Here's my question-- how does one with an EU passport become eligible for the NHS?

Thanks!!
-Karen

Hi Karen,

Welcome to Expat-blog! :)

I hope that other members will be able to help you.

Hello Karen

Anyone with a visa valid for longer than 6 months or other document (such as an EU passport) proving their right to residency in the UK is eligble for NHS treatment.  You simply register with the GP in your catchment area and then you're "in the system".  You may need proof of address such as a utility bill to show your residency, but really its very straight forward.

Hope that helps!

Blog: www.beyondthequeen.blogspot.com

Great- Thanks for the quick answers.

That is really helpful:)