Question about ESl teaching.

Hello
My wife and I are both certified and experienced Canadian classroom teachers. We have both taught in the public school system at home for almost 25 years. I am mostly sciences while she is humanities and commercial cooking.

We are going to be arriving in Cambodia soon and are not sure if we want to do seek out employment at an international school, most schools would have staffing set by this time of year anyway.

We would like to consider ESL. We are also both TEFL certified. However we are both 53 years old. I have read that older people do have difficulty securing ESl jobs. Is this true?

Thank you.

No no no , as a matter of fact your age will be a asset , as bad as this sounds I'll be truthful with you , most international schools teach Chinese children, as very few khmers can afford it, and the teachers greet the children being dropped off in. The morning,  don't take this wrong I was married to a beautiful women from Trinidad, I have twin black daughters but fact is
  There is nothing  more those Chinese parents want to see than two older white people standing out front , Real westerners , I'm from usa I'm retired , never even considered working , I'm white and 62 and I can get a teaching job in a week , easy, just that's the way it is

Thank you so much for your reply. Any other tips you can give us on the whole teaching biz there would be greatly appreciated.

Look as much as I'm ashamed to admit it , this is all I know if your a westerner, let's forget the color thing and your 45-70 , you are what they are looking for in the teaching business ,now I know several teachers , they start from 8$ per hour up to 12$ , which in Phnom Penh is a good living wage , consider your apartment 300-400 food at a restaurant 2$ , I mean you can be good , but every teacher I know used to teach ,  now they have acquired enough private students and they work from there apartments, around 15 per hour one on one , so you will have no problem, I know a school owner , contact me when you arrive I will introduce you to her, she's very kind,  but working is not my strong suit , ha retired and I am not the least bit interested in ever working again ha ,ileave Phnom Penh November 27, returning  January 9 catch me anytime , hope this helps , but I would still consult jo khmer , he know pretty much everything,  I am kind of the guy to go to for apartments, I did that for a living and I know the Phnom Penh market and locations well, I feel real comfortable giving you housing advice less on the work thing , great luck to you , the Cambodian people are known as and I have been all over Asia , khmer people are the kindest of them all hands down

I just saw your Canadian, your golden ! No problem finding teaching

Lol thanks twins guy.  Just might take you up on your offer.  My wife and I aren't really sure about the whole work thing either!  But its nice to know its there if we want it.  Thanks again for all your help with this.