The jobs that are the most in-demand for expats in Cambodia

Hello,

We invite you to share some information regarding the job market for expats in Cambodia. This information will be incredibly helpful to anyone considering moving there, so we're very grateful for your contribution.

What are the types of jobs that are easily accessible to expats in Cambodia?

What are the ones most in-demand for expats?

Which industry and/or jobs have limited workforce?

Are there any existing surveys, data, or reports done regarding this topic?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hello Priscilla.

I'm afraid I'm not much of a help but I also know you would be disappointed if I did not react at all.

I'm retired, I don't have to and don't want to work, so I'm enjoying my stress free good life.

But I have heard, read things so I might share a few words on this topic.

Many expats work in NGO's. Cambodia has the second highest density of NGO's per capita in the world, there are more than 3,000 NGO's in Cambodia and sometimes I wonder what they all do and why.

Then there is the private sector, I guess international schools and language institutes are in this group. A friend of mine, a US teacher, said once, as long as you're a foreigner, white and speaking English you can get a good job. Fact is that many expats work as teacher.

Then there is on line work. Back to teaching quite a number of expats give private tuition from home or through the net.
On top many expats have jobs in networking, web design and more web-related things.

The last group I think is the group of independents. Business owners, freelancers.

To get a job it is best to get info from some job listings, also Phnom Penh Post has a separate section for job seekers. There are a few headhunters that can help to find the more specialized jobs.

I hope this helps.

Regards.

Joe

Jobs aren't so much, Cambodia is an emerging market so it's more on investments. There are a bunch of expats who thrive in real estate, flipping houses and owning bars.

The second most common job for expats here are in NGOs, good or bad, abused or abusive there are a bunch of them.

Musicians, if you sing or play any intstrument.

Everything else fails, be a teacher.

rejvcap wrote:

Thanks JoeKhmer for another good insight...any suggestions for Job Recruiters?
35 years in project funding in US, sold a business and have some time to plan & explore opportunities in Cambodia...spend a year to settle in.
Any good job recruiters in country who know the ropes?

I will send you a PM today.

Cheers.

Joe

TEACHING  is the most rewarding!

Cambodia is a growing economic country.
There are limited opportunities for Jobs in companies / industries and institutions.
Few possibilities are :
1. Teaching and Lecturership
2. Consultancy
3.  IT field

What do we mean by job?
There are tremendous opportunities for business set up.

The top ranking business thematic areas are:
1. Real Estates
2. Restaurants

I believe , if you are a self led person and have around 10K-30K USD , you can establish a well-established restaurant business within the first year of your investment. You have to do a market analysis and research before starting this business.

Hope this is helpful.

The best way seems to be registering an offshore company to have  secured real estate investment.

I should not let this cat out of the bag for a business that is needed.  Since I don't have the funds I will.
One business that is growing around the world is the storge business. I have seen none in Cambodia. Many expats come and go with the seasons and have to sell their belonging or gave them away. If there was a place to store them I think it would make money.

Richard Crofts wrote:

I should not let this cat out of the bag for a business that is needed.  Since I don't have the funds I will.
One business that is growing around the world is the storge business. I have seen none in Cambodia. Many expats come and go with the seasons and have to sell their belonging or gave them away. If there was a place to store them I think it would make money.

Hello Richard.
As your post is not about jobs but about business could you please post it in the thread Looking for Business Ideas & Partner ?

Thanks

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com team

Good idea> You got the money honey I got the time.

Richard Crofts wrote:

Good idea> You got the money honey I got the time.

No money no honey
No honey lots of time

:D:D:D

Thanks Prescilla,

I have read through the posts below and they are all very interesting.

However, I saw mention of headhunters or employment agencies but could see anything posted related to them.

Can you advise of any headhunters or employment placement agencies that you are aware of?

Kind regards,
Ivor

I will answer as Priscilla is a high ranking member and my superior [a nice one too], so she would ask me to answer anyway.

I have had that question before and I gave info per PM. I will do the same with you, so you can expect a PM from me with info on headhunters and job recruiters.

Cheers.

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com team

Jobs in most demand:
In Phnom Penh Teaching English as a 2nd language.
In Sihanoukville there is some availability for bartender jobs for foreigners.

So am I to assume by your response that teaching is in the bottom of the barrel as a job position?
NGO's would be middle ground?

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Off-topic + advertising + contact details
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@JoeKhmer would be appreciated if you could share some info regarding the Head Hunters to me as well. I don't have high expectations just want to be able to get by in a reasonable way. Then later with time settle down. Initially just looking to live there. Thanks in Advance Joe!

Cheers.