British couple want to buy a business in cambodia Anyone help

Hi, My wife & I (Both british) have been to Thailand many times but over the years we have seen parts (Pattaya) becoming full of larger louts, this is not the Thailand we fell in love with, we are told that we should come to Cambodia as it is the same as Thailand was 20 years ago, so we would love any help/advise on moving there & buying a small business.
Paul & Mandy

Hi busaboy, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I hope other members will be able to advice you.

I wish you good luck
Christine

Thank's Cristine.

Paul & Mandy

First off, welcome to Kampuchea! I live in Sihanoukville, on the coast. If you liked Pattaya 20+ years ago, I think you will love Snooky. If you fancy owning a bar, there are ALWAYS bars for sale. You should also question why there are so many bars for sale... There are many other opportunities for businesses here. There are many restaurants, so don't go there, same with hotels, guest houses, etc. I do think there many be a need for a good toboacco shop, selling pipes, tobacco, supplies, etc. Just a thought.

Hi, Many thanks for the much needed reply (I was beging to loose faith in the forum)
I will be in Snooky the later part of April & would love a chance to buy you a drink & have a chat, I like the sound of the tobacco shop idea, do you own a business there or work/retired?
is there enough trade to stay open all year round or just with the seasons, sorry to ask so many questions, I have many more.
Hope to meet up with you soon, any info you can provide is really appreciated.

Thanks

Paul & Mandy

I am retired, so I don't need or want to work! I thought about the tobacco shop a few months ago, trying to find pipe cleaners to clean out my Ganja pipe. They don't seem to be available. A few nights back, I asked some long-time ex-pats if they knew of a pipe/tobacco shop, and they couldnt come up with one. Sources for your goods should be established before you get here. I would be interested in selling my custom pipes in a store like that. Shipping can be very expensive,unless you have someone shipping a container here. You may still have to pay duty on the imports. When you get to town, e-mail me at [email protected].

Hello,

I have read your post that you want to buy a small business in Cambodia.

Did you find any small business in Cambodia that you like yet? If not yet, I have a small business. It is building houses for sale in Cambodia. Nowadays, it is processing very well in the Cambodian market. If you are interested, please contact me via the private message system.

Thank you,
Mr. Soma

Hi busaboy & Everyone:

Nice to heard from you all. A former sale, marketing and businesss consulting, nowaday I am a teacher and can really help you.

Yes, Cambodia are booming,but be careful choosing the right business to start. I can advice which one. Also I can help out in locate a decent accommodation. Same like in Thailand,if you are a new foreigner, the price automatically triple than the local people, bewared of this, it is trued for everything else. You needed a honest local guide ( Cambodians not quarranteed)

[Moderated]

Cheers:)

Ted:)

Hi Paul and Mandy.

My name is Jason I live my my girlfriend and 2 step children in Cambodia.  I too am totally sick of Thailand, the price of living there now and a big change in the locals there, so I moved back to my favourite country in SE Asia Cambodia at the beginning of last year.  I thought it would be easier just to copy and paste my advert that I have been recently posting on various sites looking for a buyer for her Bar.  It is a hostess bar currently but with the space has the potential to be so much more and labour costs are very cheap here if you looked to change it into something different.  We are struggling to manage our time between the 2 business as they are totally different hours of work and we have a 4 year old and a 12 year old who need much more attention than we are current;y able to give them.

[Moderated: Please post an advert in the Classifieds section]

Hope to hear from you soon.  Best regards Jason

Hi there, I have just moved my boat building business to Cambodia from Thailand after 18 years there. It is not easy to get started here but I do think it will be worth the effort. If you are visiting take time to come and look at Kampot....much better than SHV I can assure you [in my opinion only]. Regards, Geoff Reid.

Dont listen to Madmax, Sihanoukville is trash now and flooded with Chinese. Ive been here in Cambodia for the past 20 years and can easily help you get settled here in Cambodia

Clearly dont know what your talking about. Sihanoukville is trash and flooded with Chinese. Land grabbing is still a big thing there so you never know when your business will be confiscated so a large chinese company can build a high rise there. The crime rate has increased and over all "Charm Appeal" is lost. Most bars are empty and guest houses and hotels busy only during national holidays. Chinese stay with there own. Sleep in there own hotels eat and drink with there own. they dont mingle with white trash foreigners.

I agree with expatatron.