Language barriers in Indonesia

Hello,

Learning a new language is a part of the expat process. Let's find out how crucial it is to know the language in Indonesia.

What is the official language in Indonesia, and what are the other popular spoken languages?

Is it possible to live in Indonesia and get by without speaking the language?

How do you manage to communicate with the locals if you don't speak the native/official language fluently?

What are some popular and useful phrases that expats absolutely need to know?

Can you share some tips about how to survive in Indonesia on a daily basis without speaking the language?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

First up - Most Indonesian have poor English language schools and that situation is only going to get worse over time as there is no English language training in the primary school curriculum, that meaning kids in state schools don't start English lessons until they're 11 years old, far too late to get to a good level before leaving school.
Kids in most private schools learn from the age of 4 or 5.

The upshot is only around 8% of Jakarta's population speak English to a reasonable level, that dropping as you move into smaller towns.

That means learning at least basic Indonesian is essential to any expat intending to live in Indonesia.
I strongly recommend learning the numbers and thank you first, then move on from there - That'll get you shopping.

All is not lost as Google translate will cope with most simple conversations in its conversation mode.

Popular phrases expats need to know:

Terima kasih : Thank you

Terima kasih banyak : Thank you so much

Iya : Yes  Tidak : No  berapa : How much

Dimana : Where

Kanan belok : right turn  Kiri belok : left turn,  lurus saja : straight ahead

Khusus : only   as in Khusus speda parkir : Only motorbike parking

Saya bisa sedikit bahasa : I speak bahasa a little

These are just a few but certainly a great start

I'm the worlds worst student when it comes to learning a new language
Even speaking my native English language I have to soften my local Uk dialect and slow my speaking down a hell of a lot, it's sort of false from myself when speaking English even with some expats
Learning Bahasa or the basics is a must, some find it very easy, others like myself extremely difficult
One note from a previous post is the English language taught in Indonesia, often it is incorrect (from my experience) to me even school homework is half heartedly prepared for the students. Then again English is also difficult to pick up
I'm very fortunate here as many speak much better English than I do Bahasa
Some guys I know speak, read and write fluently with Bahasa Indonesia

I went to several places in Bali to join a group of people who wanted to learn Bahasa together.  No luck.  Every place wanted to do one-on-one.  I prefer groups for several reasons.  It's nice when others make mistakes too, it makes it more social and people in the group can meet and practice.  It's also cheaper.  One place told me I could come back when I had found enough people to form a group!  Any places (i'm in Sanur now) offer group lessons?

1. In indonesia, people still use local language (bahasa indonesia) for Daily.
But I thing now day's 50% of it  can speak English maybe 20% not natives speakers.

2. You have to learned a basic words, prepare a common words for communication.

3. Make a friend for example with Indonesia people's on online first.

4. Saya : i
    Kamu : you
    Orang :people
    Kendaraan : vehicle
    Jalan : street ,route, road
   Terima kasih : thank you
   Apa kabar : how are you / what's up
   Makan : eat
   Minum : drink
   Dimana :where
   Uang : money

5. Talk with gestures, that's  Will helpful.

I hope my answer will help.