Cell phone service

What cell service gives you the best service in Peru ?
Do not need much phone calls but unlimited
internet service very important to me.
How much a month do I have to figure to spend ?

Thank you

Dear Karmsun,

Local phone calls and Internet, especially the latter, are widely available in Lima at an AirBNB rental or hotel at no additional charge.  Recently, you expressed interest in renting via AirBNB.

As you told us a few days ago that you will visit Peru in November, I suggest that you deal with phone and Internet providers and choices when you arrive here .. as those matters may be moot by then.

There are cyber-shops at the famous Larcomar oceanside mall and along Avenida Larco a few blocks from the mall.  You easily will be able to get timely service by visiting one or two of those shops.

cccmedia

My wife uses Claro and I have Movistar and we found that the service and coverage was very similar between the two, and at the last time we checked, no one was offering any plans that included unlimited anything. If as cccmedia indicated you will just be visiting, you likely will have to get a pre-paid chip, so unlimited service would even be less likely.

@ cccmedia - Did you really feel the need to include an advertisement.

Thanks Mongo466,
My plans are actually to stay there permanently, so long term service is what I be looking for and that is why price and best deal is important. So if anybody can give me ballpark monthly price...…?

Thank you

mongo466 wrote:

cccmedia - Did you really feel the need to include an advertisement.

I removed the references to my 'staying at an AirBNB' and 'recommending' it for the OP, as such was not intended as an advertisement .. nor was it my intention to offend any reader. 

cccmedia

Really ????
So you can not get like a low cell phone usage plan with a high or unlimited internet service ???
How much does a decent plan with a fair amount of hi speed internet plan cost ?
Would like to get a realistic true monthly cost if possible?
Thank you

My wife and I  had differing plans, mine was only about S/60 Soles a month, but I do not use data that much, my wife's plan was about S/110 Soles a month as she used a lot of data, and she never used all of what she had available on her plan. There may be companies offering unlimited plans, but the last time we actually checked, there was no one offering unlimited in Cusco. It might help if you can check your phone to see how much your average data usage runs.

@ cccmedia - It takes more than an offhand comment to offend me, so no worries and my comment was just in reference to your closing with the fact that you run an airbnb, and not in reference to your comments about the other thread or airbnb in general, while those comments might have been a little off topic for this thread, they did indicate that you are aware of the OP's other questions and plans for the trip.

mongo466 wrote:

@ cccmedia ...my comment was just in reference to your closing with the fact that you run an airbnb...

I don't see where cccmedia said he runs an airbnb.  Please point out where that was said?

As far as I know from what he has posted on expat.com, although he owns a condo in Quito, he is lately for the last few months at least mostly like a gypsy, wandering about Colombia, Ecuador and Peru, in search of the perfect blackjack game...and regaling us with his experiences along the way.

mongo466 wrote:

cccmedia - It takes more than an offhand comment to offend me, so no worries and my comment was just in reference to your closing with the fact that you run an airbnb....

Brother Archer is correct. :top:  I don't operate an AirBNB lodging/apartment.  I have no for-profit association with AirBNB.

Although I have an apartment in Quito, Ecuador, that I have used sparingly during my past two years of mostly travel and staying in other South American cities, I have decided not to convert the Quito condo into an AirBNB.  I like to come back to it from time to time just as I left it (except for some dust) and don't want AirBNB-property-management issues to interfere with my blackjack quest.;)

As I stay in other cities I have been seeking a six-months-a-year alternative to Quito, which is challenging for its high elevation among other factors .. and may have found a great one here in the Peruvian capital.

To clarify my situation in Lima, I have been renting an AirBNB unit in Miraflores from a Peruvian family.

---

Anyway, thanks, Mongo, for letting me know that the earlier, since-deleted AirBNB reference(s) I made are not an issue. :)

----

We now return to Cell Phone Service. :D

cccmedia in Miraflores, Lima