Expired visa

My name is Claude,and would like to know if the 2dollars a day fee still apply if you cross the border with a visa that is expired,i live in Peru..Thanks Claude

Dear Claude,

Welcome to the Peru forums of Expat.com ...

According to the Lima Easy website, the 2023 daily fine

for overstaying a visa is 4.95 soles, or $1.31 US.

If you are currently in Peru with an expired visa, it may

be more accurate to say you are overstaying in Peru

than to say you ¨live in Peru.¨

Given that you have a Peruvian wife (according to

your other recent post) and possibly are not in

the country legally, it would be a good idea

for you to contact an immigration attorney in Peru

to assist you in planning your next steps.

cccmedia, Expat.com designated Expert

I confirm ccc's figure of 4.95 soles - having just paid for 21 day overstay.

The new system this year involves passing through the same customs booths that you went through to enter the country (if at Lima airport). Its not like USA and is quite a friendly arrangement where the officer just takes you to the handy cash desk.

I did point out that there had been an attempted coup, rioting, Arequipa airport was put out of action twice and the pan american highway was road blocked numerous times to prevent coach & other travel, most countries had given Peru a Do Not Travel advisory status, KLM provided no fee change of return date to  cope with the travel problems  - so a visa trip to Lima was not possible until pointlessly late.  They nodded sympathetically. At least it was less than the old 25 dollar exit tax they used to levy on departure.

Not sure what Claudes situation is. Unless its an excessive overstay its probably best to smile and pay the money.

I did point out that there had been an attempted coup, rioting, Arequipa airport was put out of action twice and the pan american highway was road blocked numerous times to prevent coach & other travel, most countries had given Peru a Do Not Travel advisory status, KLM provided no fee change of return date to cope with the travel problems - so a visa trip to Lima was not possible until pointlessly late. They nodded sympathetically.
-@cottonmk

That's a concise round-up of what goes in one of

Expat travelers' favorite South American countries

over a period of just several months.

It's even more impressive if Cotton delivered the goods

in español.

---

Peru seems to take the enlightened approach,

as contrasted, say, with Colombia's at times stern stance.

Encountering well-dressed, tidy Expats in Lima, they gladly

aceptan el dinero, and, as Cotton related,

"they nodded sympathetically."

cccmedia

@cccmedia

Hello! I have a question on how to pay the overstay fine.

At the Lima airport, do I need to pay in CASH the overstay fine or can I pay with a CARD. I've overstayed for about 2 weeks. Also I have a very early flight, 6am. I will arrive 3ish am, so will there be somebody available to to accept this. I have no idea how this works

Thank you in Advance

Peru accepts the overstay payment in cash, either

in dollars or soles.

Besides paying at the Lima airport, you can pay at

the immigration headquarters (not located at the

airport) or online at the Pagalo site.  Go a day or

two before your flight and bring your passport

and onward-travel proof such as a ticket if

visiting the headquarters.

Providing full details on how to do this is beyond the

scope of this post, so Google the following

in order to research the inside baseball of it all...

limaeasy paying overstay fine for tourists

cccmedia

Just to confirm and answer my own questions in regards to the Peru overstay immigration situation. It's true you have to pay upon leaving at the immigration place. I was 21 days over and they actually were kinda weird about it. Not criminially rude but she said, we gave you 90 days, isn't that good enough? I said, well you dont stamp, so I forgot how much time I had. Btw the not stamping is a disaster waiting to happen if for some reason the idiot worker at immigration happens to f up and not put you in the system. Then you have to prove your entry and that in itself is a long drawn out paperwork bullshit and you cant leave the country without this solved. Peru in this regard is LOW IQ.

Anyways back to the topic. She directed me to the area to the back of the line where there was a cashier type place where they take payments for such overstay. You CAN pay with CARD or CASH. This was my question from the get go. I wasn't sure about this as everybody seems so clueless so I took out cash from the ATM which I hate because banks these days are criminal and charge more than ever to take out your own money. I took out 100soles and BBVA charged me 38soles to take it out. F these banks.

Anyways, I'm probably NEVER going back to Peru as it's a sh_t hole and every single person there that sees me wants money from me and for this I'm declaring Peru a don't not travel place. One side note is the weather in Lima is grey 90% of the time making it quite depressing.

Peru hard pass and the people not worth my time. That's my rant.

Peru hard pass and the people not worth my time. That's my rant.
    -@expat5000

OK, but how was the food?

@OsageArcher Tasty but greasy.

They have a famous dish that is basicly fried Rice and spices. Sorry but this is NOT healthy and I honestly felt sick afterwords. The ceviche is good but you have to pay highr prices at a higher end restautrant for real fish. Meaning not farmed raised. Jesus I could go on and on about the food. The food is ok to good but not exceptional.  The HIGH point in their food is the SALT and Chocolate. Absolutely exceptional are those two.