Rentista visa

Can anyone tell me if I should apply for my Rentista Visa in the US before going to Peru or if it is just as easy to apply in Peru after getting there ? Is the cost the same and do I need other papers than the US passport to apply ?

Thank you very much

Presuming there is a Peruvian consulate in your part of the USA (please mention your city or state if you post on this again), ask the consulate what original documents you should bring with you to Peru.

You can also confirm with the consulate that the documents should be translated in Peru and not the United States.

They may also tell you whether it makes any difference where you apply for a visa.

A Rentista Visa requires you to be in Peru for about six months a year (or else lose visa privileges), according to some Internet sites that have studied the visa rules.  That would put you at or close to worldwide income-tax liability to SUNAT, the tax agency, in Year 1.  The visa may shield you from some but not necessarily all income tax liability.

Besides the embassy in Washington, D.C., there are consulates of Peru in Connecticut, Dallas, Chicago, Atlanta, Denver, Los Angeles, San Francisco and several other cities.

I'd come in on a 180-day tourist stamp if I were in your situation .. unless I was 100 percent certain I wanted to be in Peru year-round and was willing to 'pay the freight'.  180 days is one of the most generous tourist-stamp windows available in any country in the Western Hemisphere.

Source of consulate cities:  www.embassy-finder.com

cccmedia in Peru

Hi. Could you let me know what you found out? My wife and I are moving there later this summer (she is a native of Peru). I read contradicting things on the internet. One place said you first have to have an in-person meeting at a consulate in the U.S. Elsewhere I've read you only need to have your documents apostilled before moving to Peru, i.e. your proof of income and for us, our marriage license.