Formalities to bring your pet in Peru

Hi all,

What are the formalities and paperwork required to bring your pet in Peru?

How long do formalities & paperwork usually take in Peru?

What are the relevant authorities to contact?

Which vaccines are compulsory? Do your pets have to go in quarantine at their arrival in Peru?

Which advice would you give to the ones who would like to move with a dog, a cat or any other pet?

Thanks in advance for participating :)

Julien, where are you planning on coming from? I recently brought my cat to Peru from the States and this is what I had to have.

- She needed a vet exam and a rabies vaccine within 10 days of departure
- Prior to the appointment, I told my vet that she would be traveling and they had an international health certificate ready. At the appointment, they filled out all of that information.
- I then had to take the International health certificate to the State veterinarian and they provided a the final stamp and approval. I can't remember, but I think there was a small fee here.
- Once arriving in Peru, before going through customs, you have to bring the international health certificate to the SENASA counter and pay another small fee.

It was much easier than I thought and I was able to take care of all the paperwork in just a day. I had to have an appointment to meet with the state veterinarian so keep that in mind. And thankfully my sweet cat didn't have to be quarantined. From what I have read, that doesn't apply to domestic animals.

I had to make a "reservation" for her on the airline and pay a $150 fee. Depending on the size of your pet, check with the airline's regulations before purchasing your ticket. Some airlines won't travel to South America with animals in cargo and some only do so certain times of the year. The rules differ greatly so be sure to check that out.

Overall, it was a simple process and completely worth it! I love having her here with me.

Hope that helps!

thanks a lot for your help :)

(I would be coming from Europe)

There is no quarantine at all, but before bringing him/her, you need a Health Certificate and proof of vaccinations. Very easy--as long as you follow the steps which are on the website http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/peru.cfm
"Your pet must be vaccinated for rabies between 30 days and 12 months prior to entering the country. Peru does not recognize 2 or 3 year rabies vaccines.
For your dog, proof of the following vaccinations are required: Rabies, Distemper, Hepatitis, Leptospirosis, and Parovirus. For your cat, the vaccinations include Feline Vioral Rhinotracheitis, Calicivirus and Panleukopenia (FVRCP).
Within 14 days of traveling, a USDA (or CFIA) accredited veterinarian must then complete a Veterinary Certificate for Peru for endorsement by the USDA or CFIA if traveling from the United States or Canada. If you are not traveling from either of these countries, the Governing Authority of your country responsible for the import and export of animals should endorse the forms. This is required.
A ticks and tapeworm examination should be performed by your veterinarian shortly prior to travel and should be included with the Veterinary Certificate for endorsement."

And here is the government site:
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-tr … ravel-peru

Good luck!
Bloom