Reliable / Genuine 'vets' on the Island!

I have to share the sad experience my family and I had yesterday.  We lost our beloved pet, family member of 3 years old.

Milou started being sick about 2 weeks ago. My parents being both in their 70's and not knowing how serious it was, thought he had caught a kind of flu and took care to keep him warm and ensuring he was comfortable.  Few days passed, without improvement, so they called a vet from Plaine Verte, Dr. S.A.  My parents don't have a car, hence the call for home visit.

As per my mum, the vet came, stood at their gate, and looked at  the dog from a distance.  Said "I know what he has, many dogs had this and died, if he's still alive means he'll make it. i'll give a vitamin injection, and vitamin tablets, give him for few days".  To which my mum said, Doc, he's also lost lots of weight during the week, even though he's eating, and his fur is falling "we will look at that later on" was the reply.

Few days later, without any improvement, I was visiting, we took Milou to the vet clinic.  He was diagnosed with meningitis, had injection, antibiotics thru IV and the vet gave 72 hours to see how he reacts.  Sadly, yesterday we had to take the decision to put him to sleep.  At the despair of all the family, my mum and dad are devastated for this loss.  If diagnosed early, he might have had his life saved!  We will never know.

But, my point is: if reaching a certain age, doctors or vets cannot or do not want to practice anymore; retire! Instead of putting innocent lives at stake.  This is a gross negligence from the part of Dr. S.A. standing meters away from a dying dog, how can you diagnose??? My parents being elderly citizens, they didn't felt it wasn't right.  Nor did they want to say anything.  Paid Rs800 for what "consultation"?

Please think well before calling vets at home.  Check on them first, and make sure if they do stand far from your pets to make a diagnosis, to be careful.  Milou is gone.  And nothing can bring him back.  Our pets are our family.  Take care of your family members.  Not all vets are caring.  This is the proof of it.  Sadly.  Some are just on the market for the money.  Less for saving lives!

Aggrieved by your loss and the attitude of the vet..

Mi dispiace tanto per la tua triste storia... Ma ho bisogno di un aiuto.. Sono tornata ieri dal viaggio di nozze.. Dalle Mauritius.. Ci siamo innamorati di una cucciolona completamente denutrita... Vorrei portarlo in Italia.. Mi avevano girato il contatto di una Signora che mi avrebbe  potuto aiutare... Per un stiri simile successa anni fa... Ma il suo numero è ormai inesistente.... Vorrei aiutare Questa cagnolina.. Ma ho bisogno di un contatto che mi aiuti.. Di qualche associazione... Come posso fare? Ne conosci qualcuno?? Sto girando mille siti.. M tutti raccontano la triste storia dei cani randagi ma nessuno dice come aiutarli

Hi Antonellinamya > as indicated in our code of conduct, please write in English in this English speaking forum, and if your post is not related to the initial topic, please start a new thread on the forum. Thank you

@Cleopatra_6608 > i am sorry for your sad experience :(

So very sorry for the loss of your fur baby.
Many thanks for sharing your feelings and thoughts with us.
Big hugs and condolences

Appalling. I know it wont bring your baby back, but I would do the vet for negligence and get your money back
He needs a lesson and if he goes unchallenged, cold do it to another dog. Not fit to be a vet

So sad :(
This has happened to us before unfortunately. There are only a few genuine vets on the island.

I believe Paws have good vets. And they are also open to taking animals that need care or treating

Thanks a lot. Yes. Paws is a bit hit and miss but they do try their best. I don't disagree.

I would recommend Vetocare clinic in Curepipe but they sometimes do home service.  They are not expensive and frankly quality wise, they are better than Paws.