Finding your bearings in Malta

Hello,

While technology has definitely helped us navigate ourselves more easily in most countries, it's not the case everywhere.

How do you get to your destinations and navigate yourself in Malta? Do you use gps systems such as google/apple maps?

Are the gps navigational systems updated enough that they provide accurate information and directions?

Is it enough to simply follow road signs in Malta?

Is talking to locals and asking them directions the best way to get around? Are they generally friendly and helpful?

Are there any online resources or other types of resources to help you better understand the road systems, transportation, etc., in order to find your bearings?

What are the steps to take if you get lost?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

I would recommend anyone new to the islands and planning on driving to get a Sat Nav.
I found my Tomtom invaluable when first driving here. Road direction signs are very poor compared to other countries. I suspect that this is due to being very small islands most locals will know most of the roads and know exactly which lane to be in when approaching traffic islands but when you do not know which exit one should take until you are at that exit makes driving difficult.
A down side to Satnavs is they will often take you down roads that are nothing short of farm tracks / green lanes.
Asking directions is not really an option for anyone new to the island either as most places are unpronounceable so a good map is useful to point out where you want to get to.  I'm sure locals would give directions if asked but I've never had to ask.

Another common occurrence, particularly during feast season, are road closures. These happen without warning, have no diversion signs and usually cause total chaos.

Driving standards here are generally considered to be poor, as is the condition of many of the roads.

Public transport is affordable and is air conditioned but at busy times it can be difficult to get on a bus as they are usually full to the brim and then they will not stop to pick up.
On Malta, the bus timetables are only a guide, on Gozo, they are usually quite accurate.

If you are staying on Malta or Gozo for a week or two I would recommend a hire car as you will get to more places easier than via public transport and gives more flexibility.