Doubts about moving to Sri Lanka

Hi Everyone,

I am starting this topic hoping that somebody with local knowledge and experience can very kindly advise on some important questions we have before making a decision on whether or not it would be possible for us to relocate to Sri Lanka.

We are a small family, myself (Italian), my wife (British) and our 2 year old son (British Passport), planning to move from London, UK to Sri Lanka for a change of lifestyle.

We have traveled once  to Sri Lanka before and loved the country but of course relocating there would be a big thing. Our idea is to go to Galle, rent a property for 6-12 months, see how we like life there and also figure out what we can do in terms of work / generating income.
I have been trying to gather information online on how easy it is to get long term visas, possibly setting up a business or buying property/land as a foreigner. But from what I understand, accordingly to official government regulations it would be almost impossible for us to live there for over 6 months, as we may not have the USD 250,000+ required for investors visas, or know a trustworthy local to set up a company or buy a property with.

We would greatly appreciate if you could share you knowledge or personal experience if you were in a similar situation as us on how we could go about building a life there despite the restrictions.

Thank you.
Kind regards,
Nando

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed on the forum. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@christoferus - Good to see that. I may need your advice too. I will contact you via Facebook Messenger.  :)

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed on the forum. Thank you

Yes. You yet see the message. I just sent you a friend request. I have a sent your PM in expat.com as well. Didn't you receive that?

Dear Nando,
It is very interesting to read your post as we are exactly in the same situation.
We are going to SL for the 3rd time this Xmas and hope that our impressions will still be the same so we can start all the move process when we get back.
We have 2 daughters aged 9 and currently in a state school here in London. They will probably join the Galle Intl school
We would like to rent a house in the first place and see what working opportunities there are.
Have you moved yet? Is there any chance you can share your experiences with us?
Many thanks
Sylvie

I am Tony Galle Srilanka. There is no doubts of moving to Srilanka. Get me the right information of you all. I hope  I can help you.

Hi we are in a similar boat to you. Brit family looking to move with a 5 and 7 year old, probably Galle area.  Are you any further with your school /home selection?

I successfully did what you are seeking to do.

You will need expert local advice.
My business advisors and visa facilitators are spillburg.com. They have been my advisors for 6 years and I have found
them to be honest, competent and well connected.

My Whatsapp number is ***

You are welcome to chat at any time.

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you

I hope you don't mind the following questions. We are an English retired couple in our 70s coming to Sri Lanka in May for 5 weeks, returning to uk sortkng rental of our house then return on the Over 55 visa. Did you go out on that? What do you do about Health Insurance. Looking to initially live among volunteering expats. Thanks. Annie

Hi

How's it going with your idea of moving to live in Sri Lanka.

I've lived here for many years.

If there's anything that I can do to help or advise you are welcome to message or call me on Whatsapp ***

Moderated by Priscilla 3 years ago
Reason : please do not post your personal contact details on the forum

@christoferus

Please do not post contact details here on the open forum. Use the message system for this.

@Tony Samaraweera

Hi Tony,

This is is Nicholas from Istanbul, a semi retired single man. Need some insightful, insider information about Galle

My monthly budget is 500 Us dollar.

My biggest issue how much should I pay for a  FURNISHED small apartment or haus in Galle.Would 100 US dollar  be enough?

I work online a couple hours. What can I undertake in Galle? Are there cultural events like concerts, theather ?

Is Galle a boring city?

I would like to live in a peaceful envirenment, with expats. Is Galle good choice.?

Are Sri Lanka ladies golddiggers for expats?

Thanks