Trying hard to learn and speak sinhala language

my husband teaching me everyday but still i cant catch up its realy very hard tongue twisting.

Hi hazelnutcookies and welcome to Expat.com!

Nothing's better than perseverance.;)

Harmonie.

hi harmonie yup anyway thanks.for cheering me up.i know i can its hard in the beggining but i know if i persist i will win

Agree with you ! Accent is bit difficult but im sure u will get used to it :) good luck :D

I'm starting Sinhala lessons at the British Council- they're supposed to be good- pretty expensive but I think it's good to be able to practise with other learners. Yes- am worried about learning the accent correctly too!

Someone told me the numbers in sinhala, is simimar to Irish Gaelic?

But I guess it becomes easier if your living in srilanka.

yes thats true

Believe me it is not easy but sooner or later you will learn. One of my Sri Lankan friend bought a book for me to learn but till now i cannot speak the language. Some of the words i understand the meaning.They more alphabeth than English. Generally I love Sri Lanka.The people are just wonderful amd warmth.

its been two months since i started tolearn,yes not so easy when i starter to speak out the words hehehhee they r all laughing thaat makes me feel shy.when i go somewhere else to buy something im trying to communicate sinhala words but they dont understand so i rather tell it in english maybe just because of the wrong pronoucesation.hehehhehe

All- so far I've had about 4 lessons at the British council and it's brilliant- great teacher and learning with other beginners means that you get to practise so much more and no one can laugh at your accent!!

Lmao it's so easy to talk sinhala

Of course because I'm a Sinhalese

What language do you speak?

Sinhala and English :):D

@hazelnutcookies I LIKE that people laugh at my sinhala. Laughing together is a great way to connect with people. So do not it be shy, laugh with them! Good Progress to your efforts!

Hi tortuga444,

Totally agree, laughter brings us together! 1f603.svg

However, not sure hazelnutcookies will see your comment, it has been many years since her last connection to expat.com.

Vero
Expat.com team