Moving to Colombo

Hello Everyone :)

Am expected to move to Colombo mid of July, have few things to know, pls do reply me on the below :

1. Which is the best location to live in Colombo for expats, is it ok to live in independent house or apartment.

2. Do we get fully furnished house for rent, what would be the rent is there any advance tobe paid if so how many months they take.

3. How expensive are the day to day living things like groceries, can we get all Indian raw materials. How about Indian hotel prices for one lunch/ dinner.

4.Do we need to carry any medicines from India or Indian medicines available.

5. What is the entertainment we can avail like Cinemas, sports zone, Pubs, Disco bars  etc.,

6. How safe is the day to day security for expats, is it safe for a single person to go around city:) @ night.

Pls do give me your inputs on the above & do the needful.

Hello girishksp.

Your message has been moved to the Colombo Forum for more visibility.

I would suggest you to browse our Everyday life in Colombo forum so as to collect more information about this issue.

Thanks

Karen:)

Hi, Anywhere in Colombo City is ok but expats lives more in the Southern part of the City like Cinnamon Gardens, Bambalapitiya, Kollupitiya etc and also southern suburbs like Dehiwela and Mt Lavinia.
Most of the expats live in apartments rather than individual houses as apartments has security services. Rentals differ according to the location and quality of apartments. Furnished apartments are also available.
Number of Good Indian Restaurants are available. serving both South and North Indian Food. There are a few Restaurants serving exclusively South Indian Food are also available where the prices are really cheap.
Any kind of medicine and good hospitals are available. A few Indian Doctors too serve in Lanka Hospital and also at Durdans Hospital.
Plenty of Cinemas are there showing Sinhala, Hindi, Tamil and English Movies. Pubs, Discos, Bars and sports facilities are available in plenty.

Hi Manju,

Tnx for your inputs.
Hv just reached Colombo. will hv to find an apartment near to the Indian restaurants do that my single life becomes easier to live & adjust to this city.

Pls do suggest me to find an furnished apartment

Rgds,
Girish

Hello girishksp.

You may post an advert in the Flats for rent in Colombo section. It may help you to find one.

Thanks and best of luck.

Karen :)