Need Honest FeedBack - Realistic or Dream?

Hi Everyone, thanks for reading

I have been reading these forums with great interest wanted to ask anyone (Especially someone already living in Cuenca) a question about relocation, but first a quick bio in who I am:

I am a 46 year old male, I am American but am 100% fluent in Spanish due to growing up in Caracas,Venezuela from 1974-1980 and living and working in Miami from 1980-2005.

In 2005 After all the hurricanes in Florida I decided to take advantage of an incredible appreciation on my house and relocate to Raleigh, North Carolina with my Late wife. We were lucky enough to purchase our home for cash and had no Mortgage. Sadly breast cancer took my beloved wife from me in 2009 and really made me look at life from a different perspective. In 2010 I met my New wife Maribel in Bogota, Colombia. During all my trips down there I realized how comfortable I am in South America.

Though I am not a retiree I am lucky enough to have made smart choices with my money and have a nest egg in the range of $600K. So I guess my questions would be as follows:

Is a 46 year old Bilingual American employable down there in any capacity, English teacher or similar (I am in IT now) I of course realize the salaries would be WAY different, which leads me to my second question, Is the cost of living in Cuenca reasonable enough were my nest egg could provide for me for a long stretch?

I know these are not simple questions and I appreciate any input anyone might have.

Un fuerte abrazo,

Barry

If I had 600K I would make it last ! Btw, don't promote having 600K when you are in LA. ;)

With 500K I would put it in the bank, US or here. Live off the interest. Eg. With a 2% interest on 500K is about 10K a year. There are higher yields here in Ecuador. Allocate in half to obtain better results.

If you plan to move here and expect to live like in the US, your funds will slowly deplete. My wife and I, plus a 2yr live on less than 1,2K a month.

You can also work as a teacher, but it's not great pay. Most likely between 3-$7 per hour, depending the place you apply. 

The best thing would be create a budget and see if you can handle it. Some people can live on 1-2K, while other prefer a 3K (this budget is for people who want similar lifestyles from back home, and it's always excess IMO). Good luck !