Sao Paolo - anyone?

I've just put up a topic on the North America site re living in Palm Springs.

I'm an expat spouse (UK) now located in the Netherlands for the past 2 years.  My partner's company have offered 2 new options for his next career move - Sao Paolo or Palm Springs.

So has anyone any experience of Sao Paolo as an expat or as a Brazilian resident?

It would be 3 months trial vacation for us to try out, with him working, me a housewife (again!) and our 3.5 year old son.

Let me know.

Well, since I'm Brazilian, I know it will sound very suspicious anything I say...
An advise I can give you is to check this website: www.gringoes.com
If you live in NL, you may be familiar with Expatica.com. This site is the closest to an "expatica in Brazil" that I know.
Good luck - or should I say "heel veel succes"!;)

Hi Trix

Not suspicious - If anyone asked me for a view of living in London or UK I'd been honest  (i love it, miss it, but there are things not so good......) , so I would assume you'd be the same!

Many thanks for the link - will check it out.  If its as helpful as Expatica even better! 

Were you in NL for a while?

Bedankt / thanks!

Hi Nicole!

Graag gedaan!

I hope this website will be helpful to you... I've "found" it not too long ago.
About being Brazilian, I'm living abroad for more than five years now - 2 years in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, and since then in Rotterdam. So it's a bit difficult talk about Brazil, some mixed feelings, I would say... Good things, bad ones, but I do miss a lot! Please, feel free to ask about anything that you'd like to know. If I can help, I shall be more than happy to do it.  ;)

Cheers!

IŽm also a brazilian and I agree with Trix.
ItŽs hard to define!
Sao Paulo is great, a really huge city but it has the same problems of the big south american cities: crime, violence and the gap between riches and poors
Some neighborhoods are some kind of isolated islands in the city, like Alphaville near SP, but well... you got to know what you want. ThereŽs something about the brazilian people that the foreigners love, itŽs strange. Maybe the sympathy, tha way of living. I think you should have a glimps.

cheers

I have an opportunity to live / work in SP so I will check out the site as well.  Thank you.

Hi Nicola66. I expect to move to Brazil (first month maybe in Sao Paulo then later to Porto Alegre) with my family. Like you, I'm joining my husband who was offered a job there. We have a child, turning 3 yrs old this year. I'll be a housewife like you. I also want to get some general tips on how to 'survive' in Brazil.

Thank you, Trix and tuliopn. I'll check out the sites.

Hi All, I am Akshar and me and my partner are a same sex couple moving to Sao Paolo in a month and half. Never been there but very excited to come over. I will check the website gringoes.com as few of your have suggested.

I am going there were lot of empathy ( not sympathy) and look forward to it. Its just that nervousness as we moved back home to Australia only six months ago. We were in Frankfurt, Germany for 3 yrs.

Time to move on but company has asked us to arrange things for ourselves so its a bit nervousness but I am sure it will be fine.

Any book I can read, like Do and Don't in Brazil

Thanks
Akshar

i am very curious to know about carnival.

can anybody explain who has watched this being an expat.

specially indian.