Alternative Travel from US to DR with a Dog

Hey guys,

I have heard the horrific stories of dogs dying on airplanes and since my DR adventure will begin sometime during the last week of July, I wanted to get your thoughts on the possibility of traveling from Florida by ship or privately owned yacht.

Has anyone here ever traveled from Florida to DR by sea?  What was your experience?  What type of vessel provided you transport?  And where would be the best place to look for a private boat owner (who may already have plans to travel to DR) to hitch a ride?  If you happen to know anyone who might be interested in taking on a passenger in late July, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,

Jeff

And I assume the dog is too big to go as carry on.,....

Do cruise ships allow dogs???

Hey Planner,

Yes, my dog, although still a puppy (5 months old) is 40 pounds.  Most of the airlines have limits of 20 pounds to carry on the plane unfortunately.  I've been looking at some cruise ships as well but the cost, in most cases, is significantly more than a plane.

Jeff

Wow so that won't work. Sorry its the only idea I had. Hopefully someone else thinks of something!

Offer your services as a free crew for the trip. Cook, stock the fridge, turn the winches, clean bilges, night watch, anything,  including paying your way. A bit early or those looking to pass the hurricane season, but you never know. I wish you well & a safe passage however way you get here. Welcome to the island.

Hey Tinker!

I've already signed up for "Findacrew.net" so I'm definitely game for working and paying my own way.  If you know of any other specific options I could contact directly, I'd be happy to hear about them.  Looking forward to getting together in the near future my friend!

Jeff

I'll keep scratching the aging brain pan for ya.

There is hotel for dog in the city,santo domingo they will charge you per day. And is not a good idea for travel most of the places and hotels here do not allowed pets

Not sure you actually read the question that was asked!

There's a site for finding air transport for your dog - https://www.ipata.org/ - they can help you with flying your dog.

Amerijet is a climate controled cargo airline that will ship your dog to DR either to santiago or santo domingo, i used them to bring my 45 lb border collie to the us now i will fly him back this summer

How much was it  I have two dogs and am in the US