Barnevernet concerns

Hello expat community,

I have a very good job opportunity and everyone in my family (wife + 2 small children) are very excited for Bergen.
But since we hear and read a lot about Barnevernet and also the financial benefit for foster families, we get more and more concerned about that issue.
Anyone who has kids and follows a strucured parenting concept knows about ups and downs. And I'm not sure if somebody takes our kids away just because they are crying on the street because "there is no ice cream today". Okay, maybe this is a bit overreacting, but I guess you get my point.

Anyone here who has kids, moved there and has similar thoughts?

Cheers from Germany
Peter

IMO the excitement of barnevernet to intervene in families and simply take children away is very exaggerated, and the stories that reach the news of course cannot tell the whole story due to the sensitive nature of the cases and the fact that young children are involved.

I've got a child who does cry in public and I'm sure our parenting strategies are not completely conventional according to Norwegian standards. I've also got a husband in a wheelchair who has been very open about his inability to participate fully (which some could see as a dangerous situation for a child). We've had visits from various people working at city organizations that could easily have said a disabled father who occasionally is alone with a young toddler is grounds for removal if they wanted to do it.

But the helsestasjon and the barnehage is looking out for abuse or neglect. If you're not brushing your children's teeth, not feeding and clothing them, or abusing them, they'll step in, but if you're just not letting your kid have ice cream, that's definitely not reason for removal if everything else is being taken care of.

Newcomer Peter wrote:

Hello https://www.expat.community,

I have a very good job opportunity and everyone in my family (wife + 2 small children) are very excited for Bergen.
But since we hear and read a lot about Barnevernet and also the financial benefit for foster families, we get more and more concerned about that issue.
Anyone who has kids and follows a strucured parenting concept knows about ups and downs. And I'm not sure if somebody takes our kids away just because they are crying on the street because "there is no ice cream today". Okay, maybe this is a bit overreacting, but I guess you get my point.

Anyone here who has kids, moved there and has similar thoughts?

Cheers from Germany
Peter

Hi.
Sorry if I'm blunt now.
You write:
Financial benefits for foster families????
I realy hope it dont mean what I think it means. ??

That children are given to families for no reason so they can earn money ???
I recommend you to read this post:
I think it will awnser many of your questions.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 98#4397742

Janeirik wrote:

Forgive my butting in here, Janeirik, but it's worthy mentioning that in England and Australia (to mention just two civilised countries), families do as a matter of course get paid for fostering children. There's nothing immoral or unsavoury about it, and the foster-parents are (supposed to be) carefully vetted by the authorities. I guess the theory is that relatively few families would volunteer to take in children who would benefit from a family life, if they had to take on the extra expense. Quite often, the foster-parents end up formally adopting the children, but not always. Some fostering doesn't work out - for various reasons - but in the ones that do work out, reciprocal affection exists.

Gordon Barlow wrote:
Janeirik wrote:

Forgive my butting in here, Janeirik, but it's worthy mentioning that in England and Australia (to mention just two civilised countries), families do as a matter of course get paid for fostering children. There's nothing immoral or unsavoury about it, and the foster-parents are (supposed to be) carefully vetted by the authorities. I guess the theory is that relatively few families would volunteer to take in children who would benefit from a family life, if they had to take on the extra expense. Quite often, the foster-parents end up formally adopting the children, but not always. Some fostering doesn't work out - for various reasons - but in the ones that do work out, reciprocal affection exists.

I understand more what you mean now.
And that is how life is.

In the beginning.. I was wondering if you was implying that the "barnevern" take children... So some can earn money...
And I understand now.. that is not this.
And my apologies for misunderstanding this.

But to the facts:
Yes. Money is involved. Of course.
It's a job.
Like any other job.
And it's totally natural and necessary.
Exactly like it's a job to take care of out old, work in hospitals/old people home, doctors etc etc.
And families that take care of this children, can not "live" and give a good future to the children if they self are "starving/ have money problem"
All this is logical.

To become a fosterparent / fosterfamily... It's actually a long and serious process.
And they are check, educated and follow up all the time.and that is a good thing.

And yes... sometimes.. the children get adopted.
But it's not so often.
There is so many rules & law about this subject. As the biological parent(s) rights are very important.

If I jumped to conclusions of you text. My apology.
I have to say I'm very frustrated about all the nonsense that is around on the internet on this subject.

Janeirik wrote:

To become a fosterparent / fosterfamily... It's actually a long and serious process.
And they are check, educated and follow up all the time.and that is a good thing.

If I jumped to conclusions of you text. My apology.
I have to say I'm very frustrated about all the nonsense that is around on the internet on this subject.

No apology needed. There are a few bad stories of the checking-process failing, and the children used as slaves. But in general, fostering is a good thing and benefits the children.