UK Citizen looking for NYC employment

Hello, i have been actively looking to relocate to the US NYC area for the past 2 years but its proving difficult as they are reluctant to offer someone visa sponsorship when they can hire someone locally and avoid all fees associated with it, i have never come close they offer me interviews under the assumption that i can legally work there, but withdraw as soon as they find out i need sponsorship :(

Anyone know which companies i should be hunting or what i should be looking out for?

My current job is fraud and investigations analyst with degree backgound so there is demand there for it, but again its the element of hiring locally than going through the process.

also what is this H-1B cap data which ends in like april - does this mean you have to wait until next year april to apply or what?

Please help

Hi London1990,

Thanks for your message. My name is Gabe and I'm an American currently living in Connecticut, which is outside New York City. I received my undergraduate degree from the University of Washington in Seattle and earned a Master's degree at Ohio State University. I've been to 26 states and have lived on both coasts.

I have some questions about your education, where did you go to school and what was your degree in? Did you ever attend graduate school? The term "fraud and investigations analyst" is fairly broad--please provide more detail on what that is. Once you provide me information on your career goals I can see what potential companies in the NYC Area have potential opportunities. Where do you currently work in the UK--does your employer have any satellite offices in USA?

Additionally, I want to answer your second question regarding the H1-B cap. Congress limits the new hires of H-1B visas to 65,000 annually and adds an extra 20,000 slots from those international students that attain advanced degrees at American universities. The H1-B visa program fills up pretty quickly resulting in far more applicants than slots available.

Here is an article I found regarding this issue--this might provide more info:
http://immigrationimpact.com/2018/04/06 … hed-uscis/

Please send me a personal message and I would be happy to discuss this with you further. I would be willing to also share my contact info if you would like, just please send me a personal message. I would be happy to see what I can do to help.

Best Wishes,
Gabe

I'm not sure what people should advise you since complaining about the system won't change it. Of course one should be honest up front about their visa status. It is complicated and time consuming if even possible to sponsor someone. But there are no tricks to getting around the laws.  Look at it from an employer's view point: why should they bother? The law merely reflects the actual situation that visas to bring someone from abroad are based on them offering skills in high demand that go unfilled in the States. And while Britain is leaving the EU, it is exactly the same there. An employer in the EU has to show that they cannot find qualified EU-citizen personnel before they can sponsor taking someone from outside the EU. Thus you need to be overwhelmingly desirable, offering some skill, education or experience that is hard to find. And “fraud and investigations analyst with degree“ is not self-explanatory. Is this in the field of law enforcement, legal services or possibly insurance? Laws and culture differ in the States compared to England. What makes you think you would be qualified to work in the States?