Greencard / Visa advice - American spouse / citizen but not resident

Hi there

I have been given an opportunity to work in New York by the company I work for as we're looking to expand our offices out there.

There are many things that might stop this from happening (we just bought a house in England for example) but I'm going to try and explore the possibility as much as I can as I would love to be able to go, it will be next summer at the earliest.

What I'm trying to find out first and foremost is the best form to use for my potential greencard/visa application.

My wife is American, we've been married for five years and she has been living with me in England for that time, so obviously I can apply for a green card as a spouse, I'm just not sure if our application will be complicated because while my wife is still an American Citizen, she isn't a US resident. I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience or could help?

Thanks in advance
Chris

Hey,

the visa process is complicated, even if you're married for five years with an american woman.

It should be easier to get a visa if your wife is an american citizen than if she would be a resident.

The resident status is only for people waiting to get, one day, the american nationality.

Just be really careful of the long time to get into this process : I'm still waiting for my visa (from France), and my husband and I applied last April !!!

Good luck

Elise

Hi everyone,

we did it by ourselves.. my husdband is American, I'm French.
We didn't use a lawyer.. that's not free!!! even expensive...

we sent the application form in January, I got the Green Card in August.. I guess it's just right.