Visa Enquiry

Hi all!

I would appreciate some advice from anyone who has switched from the J1 Visa to another Visa. I am currently an au pair in her second year and I would love to stay as I realised how much I love America and in particular New York. I have lived in Westchester and am currently in Princeton New Jersey and I am looking for a job in the New York area.

I have been informed I can switch to a H1-B non cap visa (which can be filed anytime all year round as long as it is a research job or non-profit organisation), or an E Visa especially for Australians. I have the waiver on my passport meaning I do not have to return to my home country before switching to the other Visa. I have spoken to a number of lawyers but the issue seems to be finding the company first and lining up a job before the application can take place.

My experience includes a Bachelor of Science (Psychology), experience as an Au Pair, management experience in a retail job and childcare experience. I also love music and study it online while I have been over here at Berklee College of Music. I would be keen to work in jobs relating to childcare, performing arts/music, healthcare etc. and feel I could make a good contribution to these types of fields.

Any advice or referrals would be greatly appreciated as I would love to make New York my home!

Thank you!

To have a visa, you must have at least a Master. You will have never a visa for work in retail or childcare because there are already a lot of people in USA to make these jobs... (indeed, your employer has to prove he can't take an American or a resident...)

New topic

Expatriate health insurance in New York

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in New York

Moving to New York

Find tips from professionals about moving to New York

Travel insurance in New York

Enjoy stress-free travel to New York